The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
Arrowboy

New Suburban Owner

Hello everyone, my name is Eric and I recently aquired a 1989 3/4T 2wd Suburban, it has 123,000 miles 5.7 3spd auto. Heres the "condensed" version of the story. I purchased this off E-Bay about 2.5 weeks ago. I live in Massachusetts and the Burb was in New Jersey. So I buy it and rent a car 1 way down there, and plan on driving it home (I had seen extensive pics and talked to the guy numerous times) I couldnt believe how beautiful the body is on this Burb, Its a Silverado it is Pale yellow with Black beneath the lower molding. He had welded in new Quarters because of rust, but it is done professionally and looks undetectable. Anyway I get in and start driving home, I had stopped at numerous rest stops to let her rest and to evaluate it more. Its a 220 mile drive, I stop at the last rest stop before the highway ends (about 20 miles from my house) I go to start it up and I got nothing, I got all my power, light are fine never dim, no starter solenoid pic up or anything, I check all my fuses fine no problem, fooling around for about an hour then all of the sudden it starts right up, I didnt do anything to it, however now my heater doesnt come on. I was thinking it could possibly be the Neutral Safety switch? or a loose wire in the column?

Also much to my dismay I found out the tailgate hinges are rusted off by the where they hook onto the frame, the brackets that go onto the tailgate are fine, but where they hook to the bottom are rusted off, luckily i can still put the tailgate down, also my back window is power, but only goes down not up, tried a new motor (he gave me) same thing.....now I am thinking it might be the switch inside the cab, anyway is it easy to convert that to a manual crank window? Thanks in advance

Eric

Last edited by Arrowboy; 02-21-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Arrowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
a28doc
'87 V20 4x4

Re: New Suburban Owner

the window problem is prolly the tailgate not being aligned right since the hinges arent sitting correctly causing the window to not follow the correct channel to go up the starter problem is prolly the inline fuse block on the firewall when they sit for a period of time they get corroded causing intermittent connection I had this happen to my K5 Blazer.
welcome to the board also and lets see some pics of your new toy
Doc
a28doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
Arrowboy

thanx for your input, I had all the switches "defeated" with the gate open and it only go one way, I put in the new motor and it still only goes down but not up. This thing is immaculate under the hood with no corrsoion seen anywhere......i dont know we'll see i guess

Probably the best $700.00 i have spent in a while...

http://xsorbit27.com/users5/arrowmotorsports/index.php

Last edited by Arrowboy; 02-21-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
jprovence

that is a great buy for only 700
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #5
orvillespooner

One of the switches does not allow the widow to go up unless the tailgate is fully closed, not ajar at all. If you lower the window untill it just clears the track, you can open the tailgate and the window will still be up a few inches. In this condition the window will only go down (with gate open) not up. So you need to look at the switch that closes when gate is fully closed. Nice truck for $700.00!
orvillespooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #6
Arrowboy

I had both switches defeated with the gate open, maybe the switch for the gate is faulty....who knows

Old 02-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
Arrowboy

Is is easy to go from a power window to a crank window? Tailgate window i mean

Last edited by Arrowboy; 02-22-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
aggiedave98

great burb! i've got an '89 1/2ton. saw you don't have floormats... make sure to get them!!
aggiedave98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:24 PM   #9
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

looks good! I have a 91 3/4 ton with 454 and I have the barn doors so i cant help there...
as for the starting problem, mine has an intermittent starting problem as well... I was told that these trucks had a problem with the starter getting hot without a heat sheild. I do if I drive somewhere and the engine gets up to normal working temp, shut it off, come back a few minutes later and it starts but if i make another stop after that it will not start. It is always on the 2nd or 3rd time shutting it off that I have this problem.. so I am looking for a heat sheild for mine to see if that helps at all.
As for the door, I would guess that it is time to replace the rotted portions and maybe replace the whole door with a manual one...
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:21 AM   #10
Bandit76

Good score.

My 87 burb had the "shut off at the light dead" syndrome. Come to a stop in traffic and she'd die. Give her a few, wiggle a wire at the starter and away she'd go. Found my start circuit had multiple shorts to the solenoid. Heat shield was on originally and I left it off while pulling the starter in and out umpteen times trying to figure this out. I needed to get somewhere so I wired a fancy hot wire with a pushbutton and just made sure the key was switched to on before I started it and it started first try every time from there on after. Until it was wrecked.

I was going to run a SIS type wire #14AWG or so from the last good spot at the firewall to the solenoid and run it clear of the hot parts en route to the starter. Burbs get pretty hot in any season and the path for the wires by the manifold does them in. Good high temp insulated wires and some of that spark plug wire heat wrap.

Check them out if you can.

2011 Chev Silverado LT 1500 4x4 Crew Cab 5.3l
2005 Toyota 4Runner family beater

...would have more but my yard ain't all that big...
..nothing like a Chevy fence all bought and paid for..
...there's a few holes in it though...
Bandit76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

wELCOME!!You got a good deal.That interior looks new.Don`t be modest,post some pictures on the "Here`s Mine,Let`s See Yours Thread".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:52 PM   #12
86burb

Nice truck, Arrowboy, at twice the price! I bought a $1000 truck in far worse shape body wise, two years ago.

As for the tailgate, I am just finished with a tailgate replacement and tailgate mount repair (along with all new body work and paint.....). I have a manual window crank on my 86 3/4T 4x4.

Anyway, the window regulator is different for electric, and you would also need a crank and assembly. I don't know if they will drop right in, but all other parts look the same in the LMC catalog. When you are inside your tailgate, check for rot in the bottom inside and replace the window seals. Usually water has been sheeting down that big piece of glass and through those old seals, and sitting in the bottom of the tailgate.

The tailgate hinges bolt to the tail pan support assembly, which is a notorious salt and mud collector. Put a new one in and your tailgate and window will go up and down much better.
86burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:37 PM   #13
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

luckily late 80s to 90s they also had drainage holes in many of the doors and tailgates with moving windows. Looking at the underside of my 91 doors it has oval holes about 1" long and 3 or 4 along the length of the doors, front and back. As I have barn doors there is none back there.
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:59 PM   #14
rheinz

I had the same Problem on my 87 suburban
I only paid 700 also,
I have spent a total of about 8 hours on the window wiring
and learned alot along the way

You keep saying you had the switch defeted? But have you
checked the wires for continuity?
The tan and the blue wires are the power up and power down
the orange/black is always hot for the power key switch, they run right next to the hinge and might have been cut or broken internaly !!!

Also check the ground ?
If you look insde the tailgate next to the passenger side latch you will see the
latch switch the latch must be fully locked to engage it
Stick your little finger or a screw driver to close the latch. If it works
Just dont let the window fully extend with the tailgate open!!
the glass cant handle its own weight and will brake!! Believe me I know !!! (DOH) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/i...ohthedrama.gif
rheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:38 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

The problem I had on my Blazer came down to old side channels.All the fuzzy was rotted/worn off and the track was a bit crusty.With the gate open and switches defeated,It would go about 1/2 way up.Then,I`d support the glass upoff the channel and it would go all the way.The glass kinda takes a curve at one point and will bind without good felts in the channels.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote