The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
Steve Schmidt

First time user / Help with engine/transmission combo please

Hello all!
Steve here, this is my first post ever and I'm glad to be here! Outstanding link, tons of great information, nice work!!
I just purchased a 66 Chev C10 shortbox fleetside pickup truck yesterday. You see its a present for myself as I just retired from the Marine Corps after 20 years. I got her for a deal at $600 less motor, transmission, and fuel tank. This truck will be with me forever, I intend for her to be a steady daily driver with good gas milage (20 mpg or better) with a vintage air conditioner running as required here in this Texas heat.
My question, what recommendations do you have for an engine/transmission combo that will obtain my two goals of gas mileage and running an A/C unit? The truck originally came with a six cylinder, three on the tree, and I assume hwy gears in the rear. (not positive.....yet)
I can obtain a 250 straight six for around $1100 dollars but I believe it will have too much draw on it to run an A/C unit that is if I can find one that will work with a six cylinder. I also looked into a small block (305 or 350) with a 700R trans with overdrive. I don't believe I will get mileage better than maybe 14 mpg with that setup. I think the six cylinder is probably best, need help please .....

Last edited by Steve Schmidt; 04-24-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Steve Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:55 PM   #2
kwkenuf
Retrofit Management

Re: First time user / Help with engine/transmission combo please

Welcome to the board!
As far as engine choices, if you are not going to keep it original I'd go with a late model Chevy Gen III engine. 5.3, 5.7 or 6.0. Combined with a 4L60E or 4L80E overdrive trans you won't have any problem getting over 20 mpg with loads of power for hauling and towing too. The late model fuel injected motors have great reliability and longevity (200,000 miles or better is common place) and are easy to maintain and modify. But I am kinda partial after all.....
-1965 C-10 shortbed stepside, 2003 5.3/4L60E conversion. Power steering, tilt wheel, power front disc brakes, 2.5/4 inch drop, relocated fuel tank and battery, 2002 Silverado buckets and console. Swap Pics
-1968 Camaro 95 LT1/4L60E lots o' mods Web Page
-1961 Corvette project Corvette Corrections frame, C-4 suspension and brakes, 02 LS1/T-56, Never ending body workPics

Last edited by kwkenuf; 04-24-2006 at 04:59 PM.
kwkenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:02 AM   #3
mbgmike

Huh?
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
bpmcgee

Steve,

Although the straight six would take you down the road okay, with the weight of these trucks, they had to give you lower gearing in the rear end -- really eliminating the chances of getting great gas mileage.

I agree with Kwk -- the best gas mileage you'll get is with a vortec fuel injection engine. You can put 3.38:1 gears in the rear end and get good acceleration and still be around 20 mpg, IMHO.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
thebeemanone

Hi Steve

Welcome aboard. I would go with at least a 305 or 350 with a turbo 400 tranny.

I am also retired Military Navy 21 years been retired 11 years.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
kwkenuf
Retrofit Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike
Huh?
Gen III = Vortec 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L V8s installed in trucks and SUVs starting from about 1999 I think... might have the year wrong... And the 5.7 is commonly called the LS1 and was/is in Camaros and Corvettes.
Of these, the 5.3 is the most common engine available in junkyards and makes a great swap... but like I said, I'm somewhat biased towards late model fuel injected engines... see sig....
-1965 C-10 shortbed stepside, 2003 5.3/4L60E conversion. Power steering, tilt wheel, power front disc brakes, 2.5/4 inch drop, relocated fuel tank and battery, 2002 Silverado buckets and console. Swap Pics
-1961 Corvette project Corvette Corrections frame, C-4 suspension and brakes, 02 LS1/T-56, Never ending body workPics
Old 04-25-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
SIR
SIR

...option-B...350/700-r trans...reason..NO COMPUTER!.you don't have to hook it up to your laptop...beleve me it's NO FUN when it won't run..because something fried in the computer...simple is better for me..let's see it!!...warts and all!!....
Old 04-26-2006, 01:31 AM   #8
62ChevyStep

Steve,

Welcome to the board! I was raised by a Marine (Father) in San Diego, CA. I retired four years ago from the Air Force (21 Years) Thank you for your service to our country!

my .02

I agree with the 350 (mild) w/700R4, 3.38:1 Rear Diff. 600cfm Edelbrock performer 1405 carb, HEI, should get close to the 20mpg mark (keep your foot out of it) No computer to deal with, overdrive.
05'Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5

Last edited by 62ChevyStep; 04-26-2006 at 01:35 AM.
62ChevyStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:03 AM   #9
Steve Schmidt

Thank you for the guidance! I am leaning toward the small block with 700R overdrive option. I believe this will be an optimum setup to drive the required air conditioning here in Texas.
I would consider the the other option of a new engine with computer controlled but I want to keep it simple. I will post a picture of my truck if I can manage to get my digital camera from my teenager!
Thank you all,
Steve
Steve Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
kwkenuf
Retrofit Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIR
...option-B...350/700-r trans...reason..NO COMPUTER!.you don't have to hook it up to your laptop...beleve me it's NO FUN when it won't run..because something fried in the computer...simple is better for me..let's see it!!...warts and all!!....
To each his own. I use no laptop to work on my cars, and I have had many more problems over the years with stuck floats, leaky carbs, fried points in distributors or ignition modules on HEIs. Never had a computer problem, either on my daily drivers or on my projects.... (insert sound of knocking on wood here ) they start at the first turn of the key, no choke, no pumping the gas etc., etc., The late model stuff is simple.. and reliable. And if you really want a good combination for mileage AND power, injection is the way to go IMHO. The one drawback I can think of is that the price of admission is steeper initially... but if you buy complete pullout used engines with all accys, computer and wiring it's not so bad. Either way carb or injected, it's cool that more and more people are keeping our classic Chevys on the road!

Oh yea, I'lll jump on the retired military sub-thread here. 21 years, Air Force, retired in '98.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:52 AM   #11
troy destroy

welcome steve from another texan in dallas. i am running a 305-th350 with aftermarket a/c(it is a necessity in texas!) but havent got it on the road enough yet to get some gas mileage specs. where abouts is haslet?
-------------------
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ruck/oldie.jpg
troy destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #12
jgrh64
Prestige member Old Farts Club

the circuits on the new vehichles are so integrated into everthing else it takes allot of adapting into an old truck, while they are really superior you'll need allot of patience or money to buy a stand alone circuit. A 4.3 V6 would be the middle ground between a straight 6 and bent 8 or use vortec heads on a 305 also a smaller motor can use a 200r4 trans ( will hold up to a grand national buick)