The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #26
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Re: how good are repop tailgates ?

I hate this subject! Every time it comes up half the world says they are junk and the other half says they are great.
There are not enough good original TGs for everyone. Most of us are glad they make a new TG that is straight & clean, looks good and works well and is reasonable priced.
The old "thin" TGs (all smooth/no letters) haven't been made in over 5 years. I'll bet you that thing jerry jones is showing is one of the old thin ones. The new ones are within 10 lbs of an NOS and will hold several hundred lbs in the middle and not bend...IF you don't drop a cummins diesel engine on it from 20 feet up, they are really good.
If you just want a strong old gate that will keep the fire wood & crap in the bed, come see me...I will sell you one cheap. If you insist on a real nice straight original, come see me again...I will sell you one for a lot of $$$$$$$!
Otherwise, most of us will get good results from the repro TGs for a fair price. Tried to buy an NOS lately?
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 12:48 PM   #27
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP
The new ones are within 10 lbs of an NOS and will hold several hundred lbs in the middle and not bend...?
Always good to hear the positive point of view. I guess I missed the posts that said the repro tailgates are great.

You know, what bothers most of us about this is why not make the parts the right thickness. 10 lbs is about one gage thinner on the whole tailgate. The last time I bought steel it is in the neighborhood of $.50 per pound. We think most people would gladly pay $5 more for a tailgate that was made of the the right thickness metal. There are overseas factories that can do great quality work at reasonable prices. If they are supplying inferior quality parts, it is because that is what is being ordered and made available on the American market. It could be better.

Mar-Ktech
Old 05-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #28
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP
I hate this subject! Every time it comes up half the world says they are junk and the other half says they are great.
There are not enough good original TGs for everyone. Most of us are glad they make a new TG that is straight & clean, looks good and works well and is reasonable priced.
The old "thin" TGs (all smooth/no letters) haven't been made in over 5 years. I'll bet you that thing jerry jones is showing is one of the old thin ones. The new ones are within 10 lbs of an NOS and will hold several hundred lbs in the middle and not bend...IF you don't drop a cummins diesel engine on it from 20 feet up, they are really good.
If you just want a strong old gate that will keep the fire wood & crap in the bed, come see me...I will sell you one cheap. If you insist on a real nice straight original, come see me again...I will sell you one for a lot of $$$$$$$!
Otherwise, most of us will get good results from the repro TGs for a fair price. Tried to buy an NOS lately?

Yup about 5 yrs old. My wife bought it for me for my b-day. I had to travel out of town for a week, and when I got back, it was trashed. Seems my nephew didn't want to use his brand new truck for a dump run and barrowed my truck to do his dirty work. Oh well.