The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done? Mothers day edition.

Even though I finally got my 77 Cheyenne back home last week, I still didn't get anything truck related done this week. I called my bro-in-law to see about getting the truck to him so we can find out why the transmission is acting wierd. He wasn't available so I left messages and haven't heard back from him.

Beyond that I spent Saturday watching my daughters volleyball team play. They played up an age division in a small local tournament and won. Nothing like beating the older girls to make you feel proud.

This morning my daughter and I fixed a big breakfast for my wife. We cleaned up the mess and let her relax for the day.

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 05-14-2006 at 10:30 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
81shavedtrk

Re: What did you get done? Mothers day edition.

after working on family's car most of the day, I came home and finished up my front suspension. My beater is now on all 4 tires for the first time in 4 months. Next up is engine assembly, trans build, brake lines, and then finish shaving firewall.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
SCOTI

I ran all over town on Saturday getting brake stuff for the Trans-Am & looking for a mothers day gift for my GF.

I got the brake stuff, but after 6 different stores looking for a replacement patio table umbrella as the M.D. gift (the one she had broke last week in the storms that hit our area), I came away empty handed. I moved on to plan B which meant facing one of my most dreaded tasks in life..... going to the mall (it's a close second to getting haircuts ).

Sunday morning we did the Mothers Day gifts (conveniently packaged as brake shoes & rotors ) & then it was out for breakfast pancakes & some last minute shopping for her various relatives gifts & some wrapping crap. We got home long enough to clean-up before heading over to her parents for an early cook-out for her sister in-laws b-day & Mothers Day celebrations.

I did do some clean-up of my driveway to get some of the 68's parts off my trailer & into storage (out of my neighborhoods view).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:15 PM   #4
bagged74
its just $$$$$

went and looked at my buddy's freshly painted and assembled LS1. I cant wait to get mine back, should only be a few more weeks. Mine should look the same except for the color.
I also got my driver side rocker welded in. Now on to the firewall.
Attached Images

bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:52 AM   #5
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

bagged74- Nice engine there. Is that the March serpentine sysytem kit?

I worked and not much else. But I was able to work on the blazer some what

Seems like I get a step forward I get two steps back. I decided on my day off I was going to tackle the blazer in between killing mosquitos. I sprayed myself down with some repellent and went to work. I changed the plugs, reused some old plug wires I had (Accell 8.8mm) and checked out the cap and rotor. They could use replaced but I'm in no hurry since they've been working. The plugs looked like they had been in there awhile. After breaking a couple I was able to get them out and replaced with new.

Then I go to fire it up and it won't turn over. It will crank and you can smell the fuel but nothing. Jody comes out to crank while I look at the engine. After a few cranks I start seeing smoke coming from the starter only when it's cranking. I look under between cranks and nothing looks wrong. Still I'm stumped. She cranks some more then the negative battery terminal practically melts between the post connection and the wire.

So I'm thinking it's a short somewhere. I've narrowed it down to when I was messing with the cap and rotor the wires leading from the starter got pulled and some how exposed to where it's touching metal.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:19 AM   #6
Bandit76

Good weekend to work here.

Friday had my truck towed from the coast. Saturday morning it arrives and I see that it is hardly worth being a project anymore. Modify my ad in the local parts classified online and start to tear it down. Front end came off most of saturday with lots of rust and thankfully snapping bolts. Rented hoist and carry on with draining and prepping truck for engine removal.

Sunday finish with rad support and last fender and bag off all hoses to lift out engine. Noonish the buyer comes buy and drop engine off the hoist into his trailer and woohoo!! doesn't even touch ground in my yard. Helpy helperton spills some coolant on a board and that is worst of my mess to clean up. No blood, no sweat.

Make phone call and line up (who happens to be a member of the board here) some more parts to sell. Cut deal with him to take my wheels, axles, doors and body lift and he in turn sells for me my tailgate, steering box and light bar to his buddy. Pulled out clutch tranny and transfer case for me to keep as spare for Jimmy and tomorrow we remove wheels, axles, body lift, box and
leave the rest to sit on blocks.

Oh yeah and I finished building my wife's garden and played some baseball with my kid on top of making breakfast and dinner.

2011 Chev Silverado LT 1500 4x4 Crew Cab 5.3l
2005 Toyota 4Runner family beater

...would have more but my yard ain't all that big...
..nothing like a Chevy fence all bought and paid for..
...there's a few holes in it though...
Bandit76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:03 AM   #7
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

Got the 72 unloaded and swept out after moving parts from one garage to storage trailer. Tried to do a little tuning on the 74 short step. Runs good everywhere except idle, where it wants to shake more than I like. It's a I-6 250 with a mono jet carb. Didn't help it much so will get a kit and do it again. Rest of the day was spent watching 19 month old great niece and take a walk with my 85 year old mother in law. All in all not a bad day I guess.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket

Last edited by Ron 586; 05-15-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:14 AM   #8
Izzy
Trucker.

Saturday I got up early and went to the Ft. Worth Air Show. Kohl had a great time and got pics of him in a Huey and with some F14 pilots.

Got home around noon and washed the Tahoe with the Mr. Clean. Then proceeded with the Meguiars 3 step Crystal System. I did each step 2 times, took a total of 4 hours to get it all done. I hit it with Meguiars Gold Class as a final step, damn I'm tired. I took about 30 minutes during all this to watch the Blue Angels fly about 200 feet over my house several times.

Sunday we got up and I helped Jess wash the Silverado with the Mr. Clean.

Then I broke out the tools and started tearing into the mower that wouldn't turn over. Filter needed to be replaced and the plugs had oil covering the electrodes and there was rust on the tip of the plug. Cleaned it up, bolted back up and mowed the yard.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
benoit454
Chris

Well Friday I fought with the old junk holley intake we had on the 350 we just rebuilt. Had a broken thermostat housing bolt, got it fixed, tried getting the heater hose fitting out, snapped the intake in 3 places and split it all the way to the bolt hole up front. threw it out and had to use the old intake on it. Got that all bolted together and dropped back in early friday, like 3 or so that afternoon. I was beat from getting everything else done until 11:30 the night before so I quit for the day. Went back out saturday, got the valve covers, carb, ditributor, wires, plumbing, headers, everything in front all done. Then about 4:30 saturday, fired it back up with open headers. Man I love to do that!!!!!! Here's an older pic anda short clip. The first pic was just after dropping in the new crank. It was early this week like monday afternoon or tuesday. My camera batteries died and so I forgot to put new ones in until we were almost done.

After cleaning all the gasket surfaces, we got the oil pump, pan, all the rods, pistons, and rings together and put back in, got the timing chain cover on and one head done and back on. This was thusday or wednesday afternoon I think.

Finally around 2:30 on saturday it looked like this....

I know it's not that clean in some spots like hoses and fan shroud, but I didn't have time to get to them. I am going to work on them soon though.

Sorry this video is short I hope to get a better one before I hook the pipes back up.

Click the link or square, once open click the play on it.

It took a little over 2 weeks to tear the truck down, get the old one out, new one cleaned, torn down, rebuilt, and back in. That was with making about 10 trips to 4 parts stores and like 4 or 5 doctors visits(not due to injuries!!! lol) SO it really killed some days doing that running.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
bigblock73
yeller

Cleaned the house Saturday, then we had my mother, my mother in law, and her fiance over for an early Mothers day celebration/birthday party.

Sunday, did some chores in the morning, went to a car show with a buddy, then came home and relaxed. I did manage to sketch up my fuel pressure regulator bracket and wiring harness cover. I hope to build those shortly and get them installed on Yeller.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #11
Prerunner1982

Sat after working 6hrs I came home and spent an hour-1.5hrs working on the truck, and then we all (wifes parents, her brother, me, her, and our daughter) went to eat dinner.. Sunday, I started on the truck about 7:30am and had it back on all 4 of its tires by 1:30. FINALLY feel like i am getting somewhere.. also tried to charge the battery as it had run down from sitting.. the charger wouldnt even take it.. kept kicking off.. it had been leaking some and was old, so tomorrow I am getting an Optima for it. Removed and cleaned up the corroded battery tray while i was in there. i start my new job in just over a week, so I should have it driving again by then..
Oklahoma Roll Call

Last edited by Prerunner1982; 05-16-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:56 PM   #12
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Friday afternoon I replaced the passenger side electric mirror on my '90 Burb with the new one I got from GM. Found some bolts to replace the missing ones in the overhead console and replaced the missing bulbs. I also started to get the fender off the clip that has been sitting there for over 2 year and replace the one on the burb.

Saturday I got a late start and headed to my brothers shop in a hurry and when I got there I realized I left the motor mount shells still bolted to the 454!! Sheesh. So I couldn't replace the ECE mounts this weekend, it will have to be NEXT weekend.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:13 PM   #13
Izzy
Trucker.

Took a couple pics after I waxed it.

Last edited by Izzy; 05-15-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:50 PM   #14
84 400
Sb 400 club

when wheeling with som buddys
almost died when wheel in my buddys 98xj came off going around a corner at 35mph

pumped out water in basment
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #15
moneyeater

Built a little wooden recoveryplace in mums garden on friday and saturday and presented it to her on sunday!
After that i restored my tachcluster!cleaned every peace and turned the odometer to 0 miles!
Name:  Cockpit.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  Cockpit 11.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  Cockpit 10.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  38.4 KB

Name:  Cockpit 17.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  Cockpit 23.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  37.5 KB
moneyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #16
evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyeater
Built a little wooden recoveryplace in mums garden on friday and saturday and presented it to her on sunday!
After that i restored my tachcluster!cleaned every peace and turned the odometer to 0 miles!
Those look just like the pics in the July issue of Classic Trucks. Looks good.

Last edited by evan; 05-16-2006 at 06:51 PM.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:42 PM   #17
Nolowrider

Took a littlle time on Saturday to work on the new 454 for my truck. Just a few more things to go and it is ready to drop in, just waiting on the Melling high volume oil pump. Still need to cut the plug wires then she is ready. Spent Sunday out on the boat in the lake with the ole lady. Fun.

Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #18
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

nothing truck related but i did go to the trout farm and slide rock in sedona arizona with my girlfriend and her 2 daughters.we had a blast especially the kids.i fell trying to make it up the creek to slide down and busted my a@@ it was pretty funny.all in all i had fun we were going to BBQ when we got home but it was late and we had pizza instead.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote