The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
phlegm
Still Green but learning

Help, I need advice on Exhaust

I am a novice so if they are dumb questions sorry.

Situation: I have a cracked manifold on the driver side and a mystery oil leak from my 350.

Steps taken: I have a set of headers on the way from tee it up (thanks sir) and access to a power washer.

Plan: Power wash the engine with the cracked manifold on it, and drive it some to locate the leak. Prep and Paint the headers, pull the manifolds. while off find the oil leak, and try to fix if I can. then hopefully put the fresh looking headers on and they stay that way a while (since no oil is hitting them).

Here come the dumb questions.

1. will I damage the engine by powerwashing with a cracked manifold on it.

2. Do they make header paint in colors, all I am finding is black and gray, I think it would look cool if they were dark blue, like my firewall.

3. Does engine paint have the same temp tolerance as the header paint I am finding on the Eastwood site?

4. Do you think a color'd Header setup would look goofy or good? I think it would POP.

Thanks in advance.
2010 Acura TL
98 Mastercraft "FrankenStar" 225
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Re: Help, I need advice on Exhaust

1. no wont hurt it, just use common sense, cover carb..watch distributer area, gasket areas etc.
2. Not sure, I would go black. It wont last anyways.
3. Dont really know, but I would guess no.
4. I would go black myself.
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Werewolf
Woof?

Don't powerwash the engine while it's hot, and you should be fine. Don't, like, force water into the areas of the leaks. Just do what you have to in order to get the grime off.

I don't think you'll find a paint on the market that'll truely stand up to headers for a long time. They just get too hot. Now if you got the ceramic coating on them...

There's not too many places an oil leak could be coming from. If oil is hitting your exhaust manifolds, you probably have bad valve cover gaskets. Easy fix. I'd personally recommend the new rubber gaskets; they last forever.
1997 Astro
1992 Caprice wagon, 500k stock miles. Nursing wounds after a bad wreck.
1997 Saturn - need gas mileage from something!
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
phlegm
Still Green but learning

Thanks for the advice borax, now that I think of it, since I still have my heat riser on the manifold it should keep out most of the H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf
Now if you got the ceramic coating on them...

...oil is hitting your exhaust manifolds, you probably have bad valve cover gaskets.....
Wolf, I have heard about this ceramic coating product from eastwood, it sounds great! I cannot find it online to read up on it, any links?

The Oil is not coming from the v covers, I redid those leaks reciently and the manifolds themselves are not taking direct oil hits. I just dont want to put fresh clean anything in there until I can get the leak under control so the grime and "2nd hand" oil doesnt effect it.

thanks again
2010 Acura TL
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was

Last edited by phlegm; 05-18-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
wibilly

por makes an exelant high temp paint . not sure what colors are available but i used it on my headers last year and the look as good as the day i done them you have to sand blast them first . it seems to last for ever as long as you get no oil on them then it discolors my buddy did his on his drag car years ago and they still look new. we used a aluminum color
Old 05-19-2006, 07:34 AM   #6
Werewolf
Woof?

I'm not sure where to go for it. Most times you buy the headers new and select whether or not you want the coating applied. It's pretty expensive, usually adds $200 or more onto a set of headers. Do a google on "Jet Hot header coating," and hopefully you'll get something.

As I said before, not too many places a leak can come from. Where are you seeing it, exactly? If it's not the valve covers, and it's not blow-by from the PCV system, it could be the front or rear mains, or the intake manifold. Could be any of those depending on how the engine was worked on in the past, *if* it was.

Could be the oil sender / pressure gage line, too.
1997 Astro
1992 Caprice wagon, 500k stock miles. Nursing wounds after a bad wreck.
1997 Saturn - need gas mileage from something!

Last edited by Werewolf; 05-19-2006 at 07:35 AM.
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
phlegm
Still Green but learning

It is coming from the back side of the engine, I thought I had it licked with the VC Gaskets since they were leaking toward the back, bit it is still there ( just less). I am gonna power wash and get an idea.

I found a black coating that said it had ceramic powder in it, not sure if that makes a difference. But if I were going to put 200 plus shipping in it from Jet hot, btw I found the site last night, then I may as well by them coated new. I think that black has to be better then factory paint, and since I am not hotrodding it a lot, I just like a little noise on the street, It should be fine.
2010 Acura TL
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
Old 05-19-2006, 08:23 AM   #8
Tycoon4u
Tooloose

POR-15 has 1800 degree paint. I painted mine with it (silver), I think there is a couple other colors not sure what they are.

'68 c10 (current project)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=cherry+bomb
'04 silverado (better halfs)
'07 wildcat 27rlwb(for sale) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...llinois&cat=17
Tycoon4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
roughedup72

your oil leak sounds like its coming from your intake gasket. If its running down the back of your engine and down to the tranny. I replaced my intake a while back and didn't use enough rtv silicone to seal the back of the intake and it wasnt long that I had a good ol oil leak myself. Had to take the intake off clean all the residue of the block with brake parts cleaner after removing the silicone and then reapplied a good thick bead of the black rtv silicone. Reinstalled the intake and let it sit for a daybefore starting it up, Now I have no more oil leaks.
The thing that kept me puzzled was the fact that it wouldn't leak while it was idling only when I would drive it down the road.
Good luck, hope this helps you out.

Auto zone has some paint for your headers the name is VHT header paint, I used it on mine and it has been driven a good bit and still hasn't bubbled or peeled off, I started with the high heat primer and then I used the silver paint, It looks pretty good. Word of advice make sure you give it time to dry before handling them because the paint will come off, and you will scratch them on everything under the truck while trying to put them in.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.

Last edited by roughedup72; 05-19-2006 at 10:46 AM.
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
phlegm
Still Green but learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedup72
your oil leak sounds like its coming from your intake gasket.
Thanks, I have not checked there or heard anyone tell me to. this could definately be it, it was rebuilt about 30k ago, if he did the same thing you did that could explain it.
2010 Acura TL
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was