The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Question e-fan wiring questions

hey all,
i have my flex-a-lite dual fan installed on my 72 chevy & i just bought a temp. sensor & a 5 wire (40amp) relay to connect everything. my question(s) to all of you is...
i am not at all good with wiring & don't have a clue as to how this thing gets wired. i do have each fan(s) red & black wires connected to each so i have just 1 red & 1 blk wire for both fans. so how do i know what wire goes to what wire on the relay. the fan i got is the 298 model which does not come with anything. i didn't know until after i bought it! would someone who has done this be willing to give me a quick layout of how they connected everything???

my relay has red,blk,wht,ylw & grn wires on it & my temp sensor has 3 connections for wires (just fyi)

any assistance would be very much appreciated!!!!

thanks!!!

rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
Putter
More Cowbell....

Re: e-fan wiring questions

Does your relay have numbers on it anywhere...like the one below....85, 87, etc...?

If so, what color wire is on each (since you mentioned it was wired).

It should go something like this, depending on the temp sensor you have.....(I will tell you how MINE works)

85 is hot from key-on ignition (with inline fuse or breaker)
86 is ground - created when my temp sensor reaches the set temp
30 is hot from battery (with inline fuse or breaker)
87 (normally open) is to red wire of fan(s)

Black wires from fan should go to ground.

Wiring mine like this only lets it come on while the key is on, and only when it reaches the set temp. Then the fans stop when I shut the truck off.

Hope that helps.

Any additional info you have on the temp switch will help in getting you a specific answer on that wiring.
Attached Images

Last edited by Putter; 05-18-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

putter,
yes it does! i totally forgot about that. in fact i think it matches what you are discribing. when i get home tonight i will check & then get back with you guys!

thanks!!!
rodstored-72
Old 05-19-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

putter,
by chance could you tell me what wires go to the temp sensor??? i have a no name brand from autozone & it has 2 tabs on for wires???

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

rodstored-72
Old 05-19-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
TugOwar

I've not done this set up and vehicle wiring is my arch enemy but ima take a wild stab based on post above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by putter
86 is ground - created when my temp sensor reaches the set temp
--
Black wires from fan should go to ground.
The fans are already grounded (black wires) so my guess would be that the ground for the relay passes through the temp sensor so when it reachs set temp it completes the ground to the relay so the relay can do what it does,,,, relay power to the fans??? :confuzzled:

On second thought, better wait for putter or other electrical guru.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Which one you use as a ground depends on if you are pushing or pulling with them. The blades are usually set up to be a pusher setup. If you want them to be setup at a puller, then you have to remove the c-clip and flip the blades over, and then the black wire becomes the hot, and the colored wire becomes the ground.
You would run the hot wire to the relay. And have the temp sensor hot wire run to the tab on the relay that turns the power on, so that when the temp gets hot enough, if tells the relay to turn on, which turns the fans on. Running the fans through the relay lets them get all the power the battery can give to the fans without dimming your headlights or dashlights.
Toad

p.s.
I'm at work right now, so I can't elaborate too much. When I get home, I will make this more precise.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???

Last edited by toddtheodd; 05-19-2006 at 02:29 PM.
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #7
Putter
More Cowbell....

I have no idea what temp sensor you got. I got mine from Summit and it had one terminal....and it grounds when the temp gets hot!
Old 05-20-2006, 12:46 AM   #8
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

guys
thanks!!! this is good stuff! (to me anyways). the fan model i got is 295/298 which ever one does not come with the fancy sensor & all the wiring needed. my understanding is that the fans are set to be pullers so wouldn't flex-a-lite "pre-wire" them to be pullers??? i am really going to be mad if i have to take all that stuff off to switch the blades!!!!. anyways on my relay the numbers & colors go like this::

87=wht/yllw
85=blk
30=red
86=green
i don't remember on my sensor if it designates anything, (i think that it might just have + & - by two of the tabs.

anymore help for this wiring challenged rebuilder would be much appreciated

thanks again!!

rodstored-72
Old 05-20-2006, 10:51 PM   #9
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

To be sure, set the fans where the blades won't hit anything (like your fingers), touch the wires right to the battery posts, and see which way the fans spin, and make sure the blades are on there right. That's what I did. Figured it was better than putting it all together, and then finding out that I had it backwards.
Toad
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote