The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2006, 12:04 AM   #1
William Stewart

Mew Member- Old Projects

Guys,

I have a 1950 1/2 Ton Chev pickup which I want to use as a daily driver. It is a solid rust free Southern California truck with a Forberg rebuilt 235. Paint is a sad Earl Schibe yellow and will have to go someday, but first some mechanical rework. Front disc brake conversion with power boost- What source for kit? Front discs and a rear reline will get me on the road. Next, would like to convert to floor shift. Shifter kits for this truck used to be advertised by the dozens- now nobody has heard of them. I have a Hurst part set with no instructions which might fit. I'm open to suggestions on this, particularly installation instruction sheets.

After the above, simple power steering would get my wife driving it and help justify expenses. I've seen the Saginaw conversion and will eventually use it if the much simpler ram setup which uses the existing steering box is not considered a good way to go.

The stovebolt is running great so I would not like to go inside it yet for pop up aluminum pistons and cam. Instead a dual intake manifold with two stock carbs, and dual headers would be a start.

My problem is that the parts needed for my mods are not available any more.
I know Ebay is there but so far not much has shown up. Any suggestions?

Bill Stewart, Thousand Oaks, CA
William Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Re: Mew Member- Old Projects

Welcome to the boards!
I'm going to make the leap here and assume you have a 3-on-the-tree and want to put in on the floor.
If you have not tried already, Give Summit Racing a call and tell them what gear box you have. I know A couple of company's still make the 3 speed floor shifter.
If the Hurst you have is complete, perhaps you can find some installation instructions on the net.
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
chevytrucks79

My '52 had a Saginaw 4 spd on the floor when I bought it. The trans was giving me problems and rather than fix it I got a Saginaw 3 spd and put it in with the orginal three on the tree shifter. I'm having some problems with it, somtimes the gears hang up but mostly it works okay. I just have to find a way to take the slack out. I guess i'm wierd in that everyone is moving to more modern stuff while i'm regressing to the orginal components. I'll look around maybe I have some directions for the floor shifter, and I'll tell you which Hurst shifter I had so that will give you a start.

Jay
chevytrucks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:48 PM   #4
chevytrucks79

Okay that didnt take me as long as I thought. It is a Hurst Competition Plus. I even have pictures of the old installation; I hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2006, 10:49 PM   #5
chevytrucks79

One more
Attached Images