The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

Pics of Steering Set-ups (dropped C-Member)

Hey guys,

I'm looking for pics of how you did your steering to accomodate the dropped crossmember. Going to be finishing mine in the near future, and looking for input.

Has anyone tried re-angling the steering column, by pushing the mount up at the firewall?

Thanks,
Ryan
Bagd72Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
bigbuc
Certified Pud Puller

Re: Pics of Steering Set-ups (dropped C-Member)

i just got done doing about a 2 or 3 inch body drop so the cab lays completely flat without the crossmember or z and all we did was drop the sterring wheel down alittle bit to straighten it out...

1983 C10- some assembly required

99.5 F250 Super Duty 7.3 5" straight pipe, wicked wheel, ts tuner, ccv mod, 4" lift 315/75/16s
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

I'm specifically looking for people who had clearance problems with the upper control arms and the steering shaft. I don't understand how lowering the wheel would help that????? Not sure we're on the same page.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

hes just saying he went the bodydrop route instead of a cossmember section or z'ing the frame.....so hes pretty much saying with doign the body drop the only thing he needed to worry about was the wheel

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

Not to be a dick, but it doesn't make sense. Wether you bring the frame up, or the body down, the upper control arm is still going to interfere with the steering shaft. Unless you are on really small wheels. Its just going to happen on these trucks if you are laying them out.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagd72Chevy
Not to be a dick, but it doesn't make sense. Wether you bring the frame up, or the body down, the upper control arm is still going to interfere with the steering shaft. Unless you are on really small wheels. Its just going to happen on these trucks if you are laying them out.
Kind of what I thought too but I haven't done a body drop on one of these so I can't be 100% sure.

I know XXL had a few pics in his crossmember thread. Have you seen those & are just looking for other possible options?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

No I haven't seen XXL's pics, I'm gonna go search for them.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2006, 10:48 PM   #8
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

I dont have any of mine before I decided to shave the firewall and move the mount up on the firewall and shortened the column and used 3 joints and bearing support. but will try to get some new ones up ASAP. Hope these help.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:14 AM   #9
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

Those are perfect. I really needed some close-ups. Thanks alot for the pics. Also what steering box are you running? I'm using one off of a 1979 Chevy C-10 because it has the fastest ratio, however it is a lot longer than my non power 72 box.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:23 PM   #10
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

I got the pics from IF customs... On my truck I am ditching the power steering and going manual as I wont need to turn really fast with 22"s on the doors and takeout a fender or worse.. Good luck !
Old 05-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #11
a squarecan

Sorry no pictures but there is a big difference between for a Z or Xmember drop and a body drop. At least when it regards steering problems. With a Z and X member drop you are re-locating where the center coint of your wheels sit in relation to your steering box; as with a body drop you are not changing the distance between the 2. I would think it would be easier to Z and X member drop, BUT I just thought I would point that out.

Keith
a squarecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:32 AM   #12
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

squarecan, although what you say is correct, it is not what I'm talking about. We are discussing the steering shaft as it goes from the column to the steering box, and how it contacts the upper control arm.

If you bring the control arm up with a crossmember drop, the steering shaft will hit the A-Arm

If you Z the frame, you are raising the steering box in relation to the column, and you are decreasing the angle of the steering shaft and it will hit the A-Arm.

If you body drop the truck you are lowering the column in relation to the steering box, and doing the same as above.

I'm thinking about raising the steering column mount at the firewall to decrease the angle of the column in the truck(to better fit my low seats) and to increase the angle of the steering shaft providing more room to C-Drop or Z.

Hope this clarifies,
Ryan
Old 05-05-2006, 09:35 AM   #13
a squarecan

I realize you have to do something with the column no matter what you do I was just pointing out what I thought about half asleep on my way to work :p. I have heard of people raising their steering box to clear their A_arms and then I have heard of others that notch their A-arms to make room. I think a couple universal joints is honestly the best way to go.

Keith
a squarecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #14
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

Yeah, the universals are pretty good. I've got tubular arms on right now, and it lays crossmember on 20's without hitting. I also have a flaming river column and 79 truck power steering box. Looking back I should have ordered my column a little shorter, because it hangs out the firewall a ways. and the steering box I have has a much longer snout on it.

I'm worried that due to my column and box being so close that I'll have extreme angles on the U-Joints. Thats why I'm looking into alternative methods. I'll probably raise the column at the firewall along with adding another u-joint to get 'er over. Shouldn't be to hard, just exploring all possibilities.

Next weekend I'll be home from school for summer and I'll get crackin. I'll have to look at everything, but I might re-angle, or move the box up combined with the cloumn mount, there's no telling. And I've also solved my rear problem, 3 link with wishbone.....should've done it in the first place.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #15
lvscott

Bagd72 how long is your column that you bought and what length do you think would have been better.
lvscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:31 PM   #16
Draggin79

You guys that did the 1.5" crossmember drop....I hear you talking about how the UCA hits the steering shaft, But I recently did this on my 78 with a 1.5" chop and not only is my UCA hitting the steering shaft, But my LCA is hitting my pittman arm and idler arm nuts. Are none of you having that problem?? And if you did what did you do to solve it?
Draggin79 is offline   Reply With Quote