The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
greg0380

can someone give me an idea of what it could be!

Back in JAnuary I replaced upper/lower control arm ball joints and rubber bushings. Then had the front end aligned. I wasn't driving the truck much but did notice an occasional clunking. Immediately I thought I f'd something up, but after poking around I noticed the idiots at the alignment shop never tightened the drivers side upper control arm bolts! So the clunking is gone, but I still get a noise that sounds like it is coming from the front end just as the truck comes to a stop with the brakes applied.

If you really come to a hard stop I can hear the noise, then when you release the brake and start to roll again, you can hear it again. Like something gets loaded from the weight of stopping then shifts when you roll again.

Things I have tried are: disconnecting the front shocks and bouncing the front end, there are no noises at all and everything seems free. I replaced both U joints on the driveshaft. I checked the ball joints and all the bolts I removed to do the rebushing. The transm. mount isn't broke. I have had the fronts disk brakes off twice just double checking things. I am assuming its brake related only because it happens with the brakes applied.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The front end is so much tighter now, but the noise makes it sound like crap.

2007 GMC Sierra 1500, xtended cab, 4X4, flexfuel 5.3L

1999 BMW 528i
greg0380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: can someone give me an idea of what it could be!

If the top bolts were loose then you most likely lost some shims. Your front end may be out of line again and the tire is scrubbing during a stop.

What does it sound line in terms of noise, not what part you think it is? squeal, scrap, grind, growl.....

The best way to pinpoint a noise like that is to drive it near a long wall and listen when you apply the brakes. It will magnify the sound into something recognizable.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:53 PM   #3
SCOTI

Do the brake shoes fit within the caliper good & tight?

I had to tweak my brake shoe 'tabs' so that the shoes were actually difficult to install. It limited the 'fore/aft' shifting within the caliper when the brakes were applied/released. It might be worth checking because this has happened to me on both my 68 & 74 (both have discs).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
greg0380

The noise is difficult to describe. WHen the brakes are first applied you Can't hear it, it only makes the noise within the last 10 - 20 feet before it comes to a stop. IT is a succession of noises that sounds like a binding clunck (sorry thats the best I can describe it). I can feel it more in my feet than in the steering column.

Thats an excellent idea to drive along a wall to pinpoint it, maybe I can get a friend do drive the truck by me so i can hear it from the outside..

I will also check the brake pads, I did not remove the pads from the calipers when I double checked things. I know the tabs you are referring to, I have bent them in before with large vice grips.

thanks for the input, I'll let you know...

2007 GMC Sierra 1500, xtended cab, 4X4, flexfuel 5.3L

1999 BMW 528i
greg0380 is offline   Reply With Quote