The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
doug70

New to this forum

Ok, Here is what I have going any help appreciated. I am doing 2 vehicles right now. One for the Wife and one for me. First hers(like there is a choice). It is a 72 Stepside that just won a hotrod car show. I am starting with a new powdercoated frame, late model front suspension(88 I think) It came with another project vehicle. First question, any problems using a later model front end on a 72? What all do I need to change? I will also be using an 89 Camaro TBI motor with 700r4. What to watch out for there? The rest of the truck will remain the same. I will just swap the bod over when the frame with new power plant is done.

Now to mine. I just got a 78 K5 blazer. The front end is pretty beat up as are the doors and interior. I got a 90 suburban as a donor. I will be using the TBI from it, but it had no trans, so I plan to stay wiht the th350 unless someone has a better idea. I will be using 4x4 parts from a 71 K20 pickup. It has a Dana 60 in it. I know it wans't original, but it's there. I will also use the tcase and other parts. I will swap out the steering column from the suburban to the blazer. What am I missing?

Oh, yea, I am going to use the 90 suburban front clip also. I just took the clip off the 78 and started checking out the 90. Mounting that hood should be fun, but the rest looks easy. Will the suburban fuel tank fit in the 78 blazer?

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited by doug70; 06-04-2006 at 07:55 PM.
doug70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
1976K5CHALET

Re: New to this forum

Welcome aboard Doug!

I can't answer the later model front end questions as i'm thinking they are two different animals. I'd first check the frame width and see if its close enough to swap in place of the 72's.

On tbi-tpi swapping i can help. Well i have never done a tpi swap as of yet but its on the list. An excellant book on the subject is by Jags That Run. They have a web site and their books are very informative. You can either install the harness from the donor vehicle...modify the harness from the donor to be a stand alone harness for the engine and trans or just buy one from Howell Enginering. Their harness quality is better than painless in my opinion. I worked for freightliner for 10 years and specialized in a/c and electronics before i got this job in the oil field as an MWD operator so i'm pretty good with vehicle electronics. Both my K5's are running TBI systems.
Howell can sell you a harness to run the engine and trans as a stand alone system which i recommend. You can install a 87-91 K5 fuel tank so you can run the intank sender and pump set up. My friend mosesburb on ck5.com used my old 31 G tank from my 79 K5 in his 72 Burb...so get ahold of him for questions. I would have some custom work done to the sender so it no longer uses saginaw fittings...a good welding - custom shop should be able to cut off the old senders fittings and install jic in their place which makes plumbing easier. You shouldn't need an aftermarket vss as the trans should have provisions for the oem gm unit. Howell will need to know details like that when you order the harness.

The tbi sytem is easier than the tpi from what i understand. I would use the entire harness from the donor burb if it were me. 90 has a full electronic speedo so ultimately you'll be ahead of the game as the drac module under the radio in the dash can be moded to dial in the speedo when you make tire-gear changes.

There is an article if i recall correctly on ck5 on the how to install a late model clip on an earlier tub...so that should take care of that issue.

I'd shy away from the 71 axle as parts are getting harder to find...especially for the 70 only half ton dana 60 option from gm. The 90 burb has abs so by swapping that rear end in and the complete harness you'll have something neat. If she was a V2500 like my wifes it'll have a 14B SF in ther rear or a 10B if she's a V1500. I am not a fan of the 14B SF as i just sunk a ton into the rear of our v2500 while i was in phx in march retrieving my 73 K5 project. A 10 bolt front with 8 lug outers is the way to go...and a 14B FF from a mid 70's to an early 80's pickup would be the deal as the spring perches are the same and its a bolt in...for you a 73 to 80 would be choice as the parking brake cables are the same as the K5's...but 81 up changed the set up a bit. 3/4 ton running gear is bomb proof for an everyday wheeler...but you can get buy with a 10B front and a 12B in the rear as i did for years. But the 3/4 stuff would be a good way to go and never worry about it again deal. That way if you decide to tackle a hard trail you don't have to upgrade.

Due to increasing fuel prices a 700R4 is the way to go...unless you can afford the NV4500 route and prefer a stick over a manual. I recently priced a NV4500 swap for my 79 K5 at $4500...so i went with a 700R4...a later case is more desireable and you will need a OD indicator for the dash and a kugel shift linkage kit for the trans...all ava from Bowtie Overdrives.com. If you just have to use the TH350 you will need a 2 pulse vss from howell as i am assuming you will be using a Np205-203 for a t case. The 205 is the the best tcase every built...hands down. I believe the 350 output is a 27 spline so you will not be able to use the NP241 that was in the burb. The 241 would be a bolt in as thats what a 90 v2500 had...and it has a final ratio of 2.72 to 1 if memory serves me. Let me know what the ultimate goal is going to be for the K5 and i'll adjust and re fire ideas to suit what you are after. As i have been there and done that over thew years.

DW
1976K5CHALET is offline   Reply With Quote