The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

Need to see some frame pictures to see how mine differs (PO's suck sometimes)

Ok. I've searched but haven't found the view I'm looking for I suppose. I took the 94 stepside bed off my truck this weekend and learned a couple things.

A. It was a LWB cut down to a SWB. The PO failed to mention that of course.
B. I think they cut off some of the back of the frame where the bumper mounts would go. Of course that would make getting a bumper on it when I get my bed painted more difficult.

This is what I'm working with. I need something to compare it to please. Thanks

Click the pictures for the BIG versions if you need more detail

This is where you can see that the PO welded a plate inside the frame when they took the section out of the longbed. Will have to click to see the big version and more detail

another

and here's the back portion

-Homer Simpson
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
64fleetside

Re: Need to see some frame pictures to see how mine differs (PO's suck sometimes)

I don't have a pic handy but it looks to me like they cut off too much on the rear for sure, you need a rollpan. brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:42 AM   #3
wibilly

Re: Need to see some frame pictures to see how mine differs (PO's suck sometimes)

po cut mine in the same place behind cab but boxed frame there,you can see they cut to much off the rear then added a small tab on top to bolt the box on you will have to add more on the sides to get room for bumper brackets
Old 06-05-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

These are the best I have, hope they help. It's a nice truck though! The rear frame rails were definately whacked...not sure why though??? Did you have a funky non-stock bumper on there, or did the '94 bed have a roll pan? My truck has the incorrect rear brackets on there (I've bought the correct ones, just not on the truck yet) but the frame is untouched.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 06-05-2006 at 10:15 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

Ok.. so he'res what it comes down to. Can I just weld that section back on provided I can find what I need? Or can I just fab my own bumper brackets and make it work with what I have?

-Homer Simpson
Old 06-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
wibilly

you can fab brackets to work or fab the frame to work with the brackets. i woud go with the later myself
Old 06-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
FormerMember
Account Suspended

I would also take a grinder to those welds and that plate.

It looks like it's a straight cut and a straight covering plate?

Most people make a plate like < > to increase surface area and reduce stress.

Here's a good thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=17888

Welding a straight line on a frame is not really the strongest manner to attach them...

Hard to tell from the pics, but the welds look like bubble gum to me.

Last edited by FormerMember; 06-05-2006 at 12:25 PM.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #8
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

To be honest, the shortened frame concerns me. Not because it's shortened but because the way the PO has half assed everything else that was done to this truck.

I don't think I can fix the way it was welded. For one, I don't have the tools or the know how.

One option I have considered is finding me a SWB frame that is straight and swapping everything. What a glorious PITA though

-Homer Simpson
Old 06-05-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray72
To be honest, the shortened frame concerns me. Not because it's shortened but because the way the PO has half assed everything else that was done to this truck.

I don't think I can fix the way it was welded. For one, I don't have the tools or the know how.

One option I have considered is finding me a SWB frame that is straight and swapping everything. What a glorious PITA though

Might be cheaper to find someone that can repair it correctly then to replace it.

Obviously your call there.

SB Frame for sale in SC:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=201595
Old 06-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
mbgmike

wasn't their a post here yesterday in SC that had a SWB frame for $200.00
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #11
Joe67
67 is sold

Maybe too late, but here is my '67 during disassembly

My '72 chassis right after I got it home

Up close:

after the drop and fuel cell added

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member

Last edited by Joe67; 06-05-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray72
Ok. I've searched but haven't found the view I'm looking for I suppose.
This is what I'm working with. I need something to compare it to please. Thanks
Here are two photos that may help you. This my unmolested 68 short frame. I can take measurements if that would help you, body is not yet mounted. My truck is coil [bags now], but that should not matter with the bumper attachment setup.

And here it is today, ready for me to get the body done.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:11 PM   #13
70rs/ss

Buy that $200 SWB frame and prep it, paint, suspension etc, etc, and then put your truck on it and burn that hack job to the ground, that is dangerous. I don't think a long bed should be cut down, nor do I think it is safe (even when done by certified welders), but chicken **** looking welds on a straight cut is WAY unsafe. Start with the SWB frame and work on it till its done like you want (you can keep driving the yellow one if you feel safe) and then swap body over and you're half way to a frame off!! BTW, I'd check with the local DMV and see if previous owner broke any laws, and if so, sue (threaten to anyways) to get your cash back. Lemon law says buyer beware, but if the owner knowingly sells something jacked up (illegal or unable to pass inspection for safety), you are intitled to a refund. Worth looking into, DMV or even local police might help.

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 06-05-2006 at 03:13 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #14
Joe67
67 is sold

Not that it matters much, but do you know if the PO did that work or if he bought it that way?

Old 06-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #15
Jason915

Hope this helps

1970 K5 TBI conversion lifted etc SOLD
1968 C20 camper truck SOLD

“To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless.” Jeff Snyder
Jason915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #16
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Holy Huge Picture Batman!
Old 06-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #17
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

He didn't tell me it was a cut down LWB so I'm unaware if it's his work or not. My gut says that it's him and they no longer live at that location b/c I went by the house and there's a new owner.

Honestly.. How much of a PITA would it be to transfer everything over to a new frame?

I want it to be safe but this isn't a show truck. It's going to be my driver

-Homer Simpson

Last edited by stingray72; 06-05-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:04 PM   #18
FormerMember
Account Suspended

If it were mine, I would repair or replace that frame.

Driver, show truck or occasional driver. No telling how sturdy that thing is.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #19
Joe67
67 is sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel
If it were mine, I would repair or replace that frame.

Driver, show truck or occasional driver. No telling how sturdy that thing is.
I agree.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #20
70rs/ss

Yeah, your life is worth what? You answer that and then you will know if you should hassle with a swap. I have a wife and three kids, back when I was single, I'd have driven it into the ground, but now I support four people and I like seeing the sun every morning!! The clip comes off in one piece, then the cab has 4 bolts, the bed 6 or 8 and then the wiring. Personally, I'd buy that frame, blast (pay someone $200 to do it, it is not necessary, but nice and easy with the body off), put new suspension parts and paint. when it is done (you can keep driving the yellow, but keep an eye on the welds for cracks). A couple buddies and a new set of brake and fuel lines with new wiring (old one if it is OK) bushing kit and I'd guess optimistically you could do the swap in a day or two (pull the clip and cab off the yellow, then the engine, install the engine and trans into the new frame, then the cab and the clip) and finish up the wiring, plumbing in a week and be back on the road. Its not a matter of making it a show truck, it a matter of being safe and keeping your fellow drivers safe. I don't even want to imagine the liability that thing carries if it ever breaks and causes an accident (because it is modified).

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 06-06-2006 at 12:25 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #21
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Shortened frames are absolutely safe when done correctly, frames are cut and welded every day. When I got rear-ended in my 2003 Silverado, the rear section of the frame (just in front of the axle) was cut and replaced. That section is welded on from the factory. Semi frames are constantly shortened/lengthened at the shop next door.

However, that is one scary looking Charlie Foxtrot! One pic shows to top of the frame rail just in front of the right front bed mount where a good 1/4" or so on the inside is not welded, leaving a gapped-tooth looking thing. Ideal place for a crack to start. Welds look terrible too. I personally don't think that frame is worth trying to save. Smart money buys another frame. Buy another SWB frame or correctly shorten a LWB frame, but I would run away from that one! As far as too much being cut off of the end, that is an easy fix. I fixed one for a friend that had been cut too short simply by welding flat bar to all three sides on both sides then drilling the holes where they belonged.

Transfering everything to a new frame is just a matter of time, pretty straight forward as mentioned before.

BTW, do you have a bill of sale or ANYTHING that has the POS (oops, I mean PO's) information? Try www.dexonline.com or something like that to track him down. If you can find him, I would definately be looking that guy up and turning on the heat!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 06-06-2006 at 04:50 PM.
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote