The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2002, 02:00 PM   #1
yellowgmc
Getting cabin fever?!?!?!

newbie, where to start

i have a new ( well new to me) 72 gmc longbox 2 wheel drive truck. no idea what model. the laundry list is needs new rear brake lines ( last guy tore one line out and decided to cut them both off at the drums), exhaust ( all i'll say is glasspacks), lower cab sheetmetal ( wife won't ride in it till she can't see the ground from inside), suspension ( kinda scary to turn , i turn the wheel and it takes a second to take all the slack out of the steering system, then the wheels turn, then the truck leans to the outside due no swaybars, then it turns. that and it's too high), front sheetmetal ( all i'll say is bondo) and it has no box ( again bondo and i could see thru it), and the tranny is stuck in 3rd gear. brakes and the tranny need to be done cause i want to drive it next summer even if there's duct tape over the marker light holes. how hard is it to tear the entire suspension out and replace every replacable part? i can try to do it myself and screw it up and then bring it in to be fixed but i'd rather do everything myself if i can. thanks . again sorry for the long rambling post

1972 GMC 1500
1994 F-150 XL 4x4

Tact is for people not whitty enough to be sarcastic
yellowgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 02:16 PM   #2
Low68

If you aren't going to drive it before the summer, then you might consider pulling everything off the frame. It would make everything a lot easier. As far as the front suspension goes, you could rebuild it in a weekend, and the steering would take longer. After you do those, you also need an alignment. Talk with efabman about the bodywork. Mine had carpet that covered all the hole(althought they were small. Good luck and welcome to the board.
Low68
Old 10-09-2002, 03:33 PM   #3
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

My suggestion is this. Make a list of systems that need attention in order of priority to drive and attack them in order. Lots of guys like to hop up their engine 1st, bad move. Steering, Brakes and Suspension should take priority, esp in our trucks.
i.e.
Front steering
Front brakes
Front suspension
Rear brakes
Rear suspension
Cooling
Transmission
Engine,
etc etc

Then look at kits for one at a time, in order. I like gmcpauls but you can't go wrong with Early Classics or mothertruckers. This is the pricier but best way to go and it all usually comes complete (as much as possible). If you know certain things you need for sure, you can look for junk yard parts of you know how to tell if they're good or go to a local parts store. Don't ever rely solely on a parts store guy for help -- half the time or more, they have no idea. Get the thing driving as soon as possible. The longer they sit, the faster they rot.

If you have the means to do it all at once and basically do a frame off, by all means, it's best but not always do-able.

Good luck!
Jason
Old 10-09-2002, 03:34 PM   #4
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

100 posts! woot!