The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
PHOENIX

Vintage Air, A/C System - Anyone have or installed one?

My truck is a factory heat only model.
Its crazy to live in Phoenix without an a/c system.
I don't have to drive far, so its not too bad, but still.
Previous owner installed some kit that worked great when we first got the truck.
But then it went down hill pretty fast and I didn't like compressor bracket or compressor style.
I was looking at the Vintage Air systems for our trucks and they don't seem too bad, but I cant find the details I would like about the kit.
Anyone have one of these systems installed or installed one yourself?
I did get a good install article from Vintage Air, its from a StreetTrucks Magazine August 2001.
The .pdf file is 3.57mb, shoot me a PM if you want me to email it to you.

The cost of the kit is $1095.00 and is supposed to include everything you need. Its more money then I want to spend, but maybe one day I will do it.
I would really like a factory style setup, but with the compressor on the passenger side and alternator on the drivers side. I think that looks much better and the a/c lines dont cross the engine.

If anyone has converted a factory heat only truck to a/c please let me know.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
7T7
Regular guy

Re: Vintage Air, A/C System - Anyone have or installed one?

I have one of their sure fit systems in my truck.
The only thing the kit doesn’t include is a heat only factory control unit. (Factory AC control unit wont work)
But it looks like you have the right one already.
Other than having a local auto AC shop crimp the new fittings to the new hoses and evacuate the system everything else is easily done at home with normal tools.
As far as cooling ….It blows plenty cold for me. But considering how bad the old stock AC was, anything is a huge improvement.
Edelbrock MPFI, 700r4, Baer Brakes
9" F@rd rear, Vintage air, Bags etc etc..
7T7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
PHOENIX

Can you hook me up with some pictures of under the hood?
Firewall, compressor and fan switch mod pictures?
I would really appreciate it!

Last edited by PHOENIX; 06-07-2006 at 03:14 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
Eyegore
What Hump?

Hey eddie its tom here in phoenix. Are you sure you cannot put together enough parts to do a stock setup? I just bought a rebuilt compressor, evaporator, accumulator for my 86 for $350 from apac down on 19 ave & mcdowell. Then their is that guy who advertises once in a while all the 73-87parts trucks he has so I'm sure you get the other parts, brackets and a/c box fairly cheap. Also my son may be parting out his totaled 80 here soon so you might be able to snag smething from him.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
1976K5CHALET

I am also thinking going stock is going to be your best bet. I lived in phx for 12 years and dealt with AAPAK for work and sidework parts. Talk with danny down there...he knows his stuff and tell him the guy that moved to colorado and owned all the K5's that worked at freightliner sent you to talk with him.
Danny recommends APCO air reman'd compressor's as they are the same co that reman's gm's units. The price isn't bad either...and he can sell you the inline filter for the condensor outlet line to save your sytem should something happen. APAAK also can rework your hoses for a 3rd of the cost of new hoses...damn i miss that shop.

If the 80 parts don't work out go see my buddy randy at driven auto parts. He owns a small wrecking yard off of 35th ave south of buckeye...traveling south he's on the left side of the road just before the rail road tracks. He's a great guy and allways takes care of me even though i suck because i don't own a vintage bronco...lol. He's the prez of the az chapter of the early classic bronco's. They would allways tollerate having a k5 chalet around at the round ups so he's ok. I was amazed at what he's been doing down there turning out reto'd classic bronco's from his supply of parts in his yard.

As far as getting the work done...or having the system flushed and evac'd and charged i can't recommend anyone anymore as my friend who ended up with my portable R12 recovery machine and old vacum pump no longer does side stuff due to his new union job with roadway...and i'm not there anymore as most of the CK5 crowd would end up in my garage for a/c work amongst other things...

DW
1976K5CHALET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
PHOENIX

I would really like to have a factory setup.
Factory system: Are there vacuum lines to the control panel or is it electrical?

Tom I am very interested in the firewall components, bracket, under dash ducts. Where do you live? I am at 75th ave and Thomas.

I would really prefer a passenger side a/c compressor setup, alternator on the drivers side.

Most of my aftermarket system (Compressor, lines, bracket, filter) is removed.

You guys think I should go with 134a or R12 system?
My dad is a a/c guy for dodge, so I can get some r12 for free probably. He stocked up on the stuff when it started getting pricy.

Last edited by PHOENIX; 06-07-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
Eyegore
What Hump?

eddie I'm in central phx, I-51 & Indian School, I'll need to talk to my son first. Now I believe that the a/c is on the drivers side, or that is the way my 86 is. Also I changed tthe accumulator and was told that I could run the r134a with no problem, and I'm sure it would have worked but your truly forgot to put in the esther oil, compressor froze in about 15 minutes of use - so don't forget the oil. Check with autozone and checker sometimes you can save a few buck there but I prefer aapak.

I'll get back with you after I talk with my son.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

I was also trying to find a way to move the alt. to the driver side and compressor to the pass. side. You can do it with Alan Grove brackets, but the A/C bracket is only for a Sanden 508 compressor. I would actually rather use the Sanden because they are new and cheaper than a new OEM compressor.

Problem is, how do you adapt the Sanden to the factory A/C system? I think it could be done with custom hoses and you would probably have to add a drier (or whatever that canister is on the hose coming off the GM compressor).

Anyone ever adapt a Sanden before?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:08 AM   #9
Eyegore
What Hump?

bad karma, aapak can custom make the hoses or knows who can, they have several of the sanden compressors behind the counter, also I believe the canister your talking about is the accumulator, this attaches to the evaporator.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma
Problem is, how do you adapt the Sanden to the factory A/C system? I think it could be done with custom hoses and you would probably have to add a drier (or whatever that canister is on the hose coming off the GM compressor).

Anyone ever adapt a Sanden before?
A friend of mine (formerly with Vintage Air) has done this on his S10. He is quite happy with it, primarily because it uses less horsepower. He also suggested I do this to my truck using an Alan Grove type bracket. He said I would just need new hoses. Around here, NAPA makes the hoses.

Slonaker
Old 06-08-2006, 12:44 PM   #11
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

Sounds good, thanks! I have to bump this project to the top of the list, it's way too hot already and I don't want to think about another summer with no A/C....
Old 06-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #12
PHOENIX

I don't really like the look of those Alan Grove brackets.
I want a more stock look. Anyone have a link?

Still hoping someone who converted heat only to a/c will chime in with issues they came across during the upgrade. My biggest concern is the firewall area (engine and passenger compartment area).

Last edited by PHOENIX; 06-08-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #13
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

This place has kits for 73-86 trucks... http://www.classicautoair.com/perfect-fit.asp
Old 06-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #14
jberkeley
86 chevy k-10

i have the complete gm setup.. all i need is a template to cut the firewall.. any one have one???? any suggestions?? thanks