The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Question Driveshaft Questions

GUYS,
i just talked to the shop that is doing my driveshaft. they said that a one piece shaft wont fit in my truck unless i cut the x-mbr (tranny) & then re-brace it & he also said that the tranny tunnel might have to be raised as well. i haven't heard anyone else with these problems! i have a '72 chevy 2wd swb truck. my questions are:

1) my truck is lowered 5" in the rear & 4.5" in the front. i have a 700r4 tranny is there anyone out there that has done the same mods to there truck & what did they have to do to get a 1 pc. shaft to fit???

2) has anyone know of someone with a similar situation & know what they did to make things work???

i don't believe that what i have done is that extensive or that unusual.
can you guys give me some advice on how to approach get a 1pc drive shaft into my truck with these modifications

thank for the time!!
rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Driveshaft Questions

For one lowered that much, it's a good idea to do all that, and if the shop is telling you all this, then it sounds to me like one of the few honest and repubatle ones around.

Crazy Idea... why not stick with the 2 piece shaft? Is it really all THAT bad? If you install good, quality components, the U-joints will last 50 to 100 thousand miles, and the carrier bearing... they can last forever. Plenty of these rigs still have the original carrier bearing in them.
Everyone seems to try so hard to overcome the unknown. I've seen a 2 piece shaft in a heavy LWB that was doing 12's int eh 1/4 mile.... good enough for me.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
truckdude239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man

Crazy Idea... why not stick with the 2 piece shaft? Is it really all THAT bad? If you install good, quality components, the U-joints will last 50 to 100 thousand miles, and the carrier bearing... they can last forever. Plenty of these rigs still have the original carrier bearing in them.
Everyone seems to try so hard to overcome the unknown. I've seen a 2 piece shaft in a heavy LWB that was doing 12's int eh 1/4 mile.... good enough for me.
mine had the oringal carrier bearing in it wish i had left it these new ones are junk

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Not sure why they're telling you this. Mine's lowered the same proportions and I have absolutely no probs with my 1-piece. All you have to do it take out all the bracketry hanging from the crossmember holding the carrier bearing on.
EDIT: btw, I had a 1-piece in my LWB after going through several junk bearings in 3 years.

Andy and I somewhat disagree on this everytime it comes up, lol. I say go with the 1-piece only because it's sooooo much easier to do it once and for all and not stress about whether the carrier bearing is going to go out on you again. I agree with him that when set up properly they're good to go, but paying someone to do it properly along with the cost of quality components and wondering if it's still going to go out on you hundreds of miles from home and you're waaaaaay ahead just taking out the junk brackets and slapping in a 1-piece.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 06-08-2006 at 01:01 AM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

longhorn man,
i think that the carrier bearings are good as well, i just wanted a i pc. mainly for asthetics (i tend to thing they are stronger too.. just my humble opinion). i also talked to the shop about puting back in a 2pc & they said that i still would have to do all the same work. it is because the tranny appears to be sitting a little higher then stock????. i am not sure how that could happen because it is a 700r4 sitting on the correct pad & i am re-using all the original bracketry & x-mbr(s). thanks for the input!

brad,
i think that what you are saying could be what the shop was talking about. i will take a look at the member this weekend & see what it envolves. i went ahead & had them make the shaft because i already had towed the truck there & i am going to need a shaft no matter what. i am happy with the way it looks ( if that matters!) it is a 3.5" shaft & i think it is close to around 58" or so. i also found out that the u-joints used at the pinion are a mix between a 1310 & a 1350 so i am going to have to buy 2 joints to make up the 1 joint at the back (when replacing time comes) - they said it was due to the fact that i am using my stock pinion & going to a bigger shaft. anyways thanks for the info. any more info. from anyone would be much appreciated.
i wish that all the articles read & people that i have talked to about the lowering of my truck would have (or could have) told me about most likely having to modify that x-mbr. because it sure would be alot easier with the cab & or the bed off!. i guess when people ask me stuff about my truck i am just too open with information. anyways thanks again for the feedback & please if willing give me some more info.

thanks!

rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:52 AM   #6
53burb

Out of curiosity, what shop did you take it to?? Do you recommend them??
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
ratrod67

I have a 1 piece in my 72. Just cut the carrier bearing bracket off and you'll be good to go.
ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote