The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
Southedisto
River life......

rocker panel, pillar questions

Is there anything wrong with welding the front floor support to the fwd pillar instead of bolting it? I ask because my lwr pillar is about a .5" short for drilling and bolting. Also on the rear of the rocker, will welding hurt anything?
Old 06-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
Rokcrln

Re: rocker panel, pillar questions

No their is nothing wrong with it as long as you get everything lined up right before you weld. What I do is screw it all (kick panel, inner rocker, post bottom, outer rocker) together and fit the door and make sure it all lines up properly. Once it does then you can remove the door and unscrew it all and start welding the first piece on and for the second piece just insert the screws into the same hole and then weld that piece on. Repeat for any other pieces and you are done. No that being said if I can bolt it together I do but most are so rusted out that I end up welding them back together once all rusted metal is removed.

If you want take a look at project penicillin on the truck page. I go over alot of this with pics. Also in the FAQ page is a inner rocker write up that I just did last week with more pics. Hope this helps.

Kevin
LFD Inc
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:21 AM   #3
jaros44sr

Are you sure your door lines up correctly, my 'A' post is patched at the bottom and if it isn't exactly right my door hits the front of the rocker panel. I didn't have a 1/2" to play with. Just finished the floors and all yesterday and I can't count how many times I mounted and dismounted the door to get the lines correct.

The last time I saw pics. of your truck it looked complete except for the grille. Are you doing floorboards now?

I just started putting the front of the engine back together and ran into a problem. The pulley on the power steering pump doesn't line up, seems to be cocked about a 1/2". Guess I'll have to start a thread for help!

How close is the truck to getting finished? What's the next project? Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:17 AM   #4
Southedisto
River life......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44
Are you sure your door lines up correctly, my 'A' post is patched at the bottom and if it isn't exactly right my door hits the front of the rocker panel. I didn't have a 1/2" to play with. Just finished the floors and all yesterday and I can't count how many times I mounted and dismounted the door to get the lines correct.

The last time I saw pics. of your truck it looked complete except for the grille. Are you doing floorboards now?

I just started putting the front of the engine back together and ran into a problem. The pulley on the power steering pump doesn't line up, seems to be cocked about a 1/2". Guess I'll have to start a thread for help!

How close is the truck to getting finished? What's the next project? Jim
I wish I was close to completion, the pic without the grille is what I started with. Here is the link to progress as of last weekend.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=186247

I still have to finish the front clip, floors, wiring, paint, and interior. When I get done with this one, Im getting another 1st gen or a 67-72 truck. Good luck on the power steering (I forgot I have to add that to mine also)
Old 06-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southedisto
I wish I was close to completion, the pic without the grille is what I started with. Here is the link to progress as of last weekend.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=186247

I still have to finish the front clip, floors, wiring, paint, and interior. When I get done with this one, Im getting another 1st gen or a 67-72 truck. Good luck on the power steering (I forgot I have to add that to mine also)
Yeah figured that out this morning, amazing how a 3/8" spacer in the wrong place can scr*w you like that. I'm an idiot, problem was I took it apart 2 years ago. Old age I guess.

My son just came home from college[ grad.] he said he would give me 1 month of help, so we're shotting to get the whole project down and onthe road. Jim
Old 06-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44
My son just came home from college[ grad.] he said he would give me 1 month of help, so we're shotting to get the whole project down and onthe road. Jim
He needs money right! Make sure he over laps each pass with the lawn mower while he is at it as well. (LOL)

As far as your door/rocker problem if you can not rais the door any more you may want to take a block of wood and a BFH and put a slight wave in the front of the rocker to clear the door. I have had this problem with alot of new rockers. It is not a "A" post problem but a rocker fitment problem. The new rockers do not have as much of an indent as the stock ones did.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
jaros44sr

Actually, he had a plant managers job on west coast even before he graduated. Probably made alot more money than I do! Came back to the east coast, missed the family I guess. He had a job lined up but it fell thru, so offered his help, heck of a lot better welder than I am. So I do the mechanics and he does the metal work.

I'll try that BFH trick as I don't want to scr*w around with my new doors to much, all my lines look great except the rocker panel, about a 1/4" clearance.

Disto, you had a pic. of your daughter a while back, that's where my boys started. Now they actually do some work, and thier good at it