The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2006, 03:16 AM   #1
87burb

Cool a few questions/my new burb

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a 87 suburban with a 350 and i'm unsure of the trans, I know the PO had the trans rebuilt and rear-end rebuilt as well. He said its a posi which he did (hes a drag strip guy but races a mustang, ugh..) it has rear-air that i plan on fixing and making sure it works before i put it all back together. anyways, so far i have taken the front off the truck to repair the body/clean everything as well as check the engine. I have put new spark plugs in, new wires and took off the valve covers to check the rockers. Also got some paint to touch em up a bit as the degreaser took off the old paint a lil bit. I went to the auto store today and got a Haynes Repair Manual for 67-91 burbs. Hopefully this can help me identify some things to replace.

Here is my first question, What do i check first? The engine ran fine when i got it, except it reved up and down (almost to dying) and kept doing that, its a vaccume problem from what i read here so i will check that when i pull the intake off. i thought i would have to replace the valve gaskets but they are an orange rubber which seems pretty solid still.

Here are my plans for the truck...it is going to be a weekend/night cruiser. Not a show truck but something i will pull up to shows in as a project. I know it will take quite awhile to finish it up so i'm not going for perfection. I want to drop the truck down since its 2wd and put air bags but that is costly so i will wait on that. while i have the front apart tho i'd like to drop the front a little so i'm still in question on what kind of parts i could order now to lower it and be ready to still install bags later. maybe spindles?

Sorry its a long post but i've got tons of questions and this is just the start of them. the only way to learn is to ask. So where do i start? I know the front end is a great place but the most expensive. What would you replace or check to see if it needs replacing? oh yeah best part, i got the burb for $200, he needed to get rid of it due to the city ticketing him for parking on the street. he wanted a grand but no one bidded on ebay so after it ended i contacted him. Good deal in my eyes. here is a few pictures.

what is that first thing? trans cooler? i'm going to assume thats what it is cause the air is behind it then the radiator.
87burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:16 AM   #2
87burb

Re: a few questions/my new burb

87burb is offline   Reply With Quote