The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2004, 10:02 PM   #1
the-parts-guy

shave or not to shave

thinking of shaving the drip rails on a 70 chevy truck what are the pros and cons of doing it thanks for any info
the-parts-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
Ogier
Chopper/Painter

Do you live in a rainy area? If so, leave them on or get wet...

Ogier
Ogier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:37 PM   #3
obsesive23
Who me?

first off if it's gonna be a show truck and you got the skills go for it. Just be careful I've heard lots of horror stories about cabs turning into scrap

72 2WD Blazer, under going porter built surgery
67 GT Mustang fastback
67 Mustang coupe C/S clone
64 Falcon sprint hardtop
obsesive23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:51 PM   #4
the-parts-guy

its going to be a driver , im bulding this truck for a guy here in sask and we get rain and snow so you say you get wet where do you get wet from , i had a old cab here and i started doing a side and front corner and it ollks good so and the guy seen it and he said it looked good to him too but its going to be lots of work and was just wondering if the truck was in a roll over or something would it be as strong
Old 10-14-2004, 11:10 PM   #5
67ChevyC10Stepside

doesnt affect strength.....but is hard to do and you get real wet....a lot of cabs are scrap now from amatures trieing it.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:29 AM   #6
the-parts-guy

real wet you say but where is the water coming from
Old 10-15-2004, 10:50 AM   #7
67chev

Shaved Drips

they are saying you will get wet cuz when it rains, there is no gutter to keep the water from running right off the cab into your window. I have done the shave to mine, but it will not be seeing much rain...if any! I have pics and will attach the link. It is a little harder to do than it seems, so if you do decide, take your time and be careful or that top will open up like a can. I am also going to attach a link to another thread that has some info in it on shaved rails. Good luck!!

My Pics

Other thread for shaved drip rails
67chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:02 AM   #8
rigo
Flake Daddy

i've got shaved drips on my daily driver....and YES it's a daily driver...it comes out when it's raining...rain has a tendency to run off the roof and on to your leg when your getting in and out of the truck...if you have good door seals it will not leak inside...mine doesn't...I just liked the cleaner look...I'll see if i can find some pics of it on my server to post

rigo
1960 El Camino....in the works.....
rigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:05 AM   #9
rigo
Flake Daddy

Old 10-15-2004, 11:30 AM   #10
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Why not run the vent shades over the window?

Then you have to worry about getting wet when you open the door.

I've been thinking about doing this to mine. If I screw up, I have a welder...

I thought I'd take the Plasma cutter, cut as close as possible, grind the rest flush.

What am I missing and where are the complications?
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:57 AM   #11
rigo
Flake Daddy

there are two different ways to do the shaved look....you can do it like i did mine...or you can truely shave all signs of the drip rails along the front...which includes removal of the overhang...the second way is much more involved, but gives a smoother look...you have to relief cut the metal at the pillars to remove the overhang and fit them back smoothly...I took the easier way out...

adding something like vent shades...kinda defeats the purpose of cleaning the truck up by shaving the drip rails...besides on these trucks...the vent shades attach to the window....which doesn't stop the problem of the water running in when you open the door...

rigo
Old 10-15-2004, 02:09 PM   #12
Bleach
this guy

Rigo, did you just grind the lips off the thing or what? It looks good and I don't care to do the more involved bit.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:43 PM   #13
rigo
Flake Daddy

no, it's still a very involved process....even doing it the easy way...I cut the drip rail off with a cutoff wheel in 4-5" sections....when you do this, you have to reweld the inner and outer "skins" back together. (the pillars are the trickiest because theres 3 pieces of metal there)...grind, cut, weld, grind....over and over again...you shouldn't cut more than 6" at a time...or the pieces could seperate and ruin the cab. Also, don't try to weld the whole section with 1 continous weld, or you'll warp the metal...just spot weld in different areas to keep the metal cooler until you get it all seamed back together.....

rigo
Old 02-21-2005, 02:51 AM   #14
pat

Quick question
Did you all remove the actual drip rail and just weld back the 2 pieces of metal, or leave the drip rail on and weld together the three pieces?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #15
BigMike

Re: shave or not to shave

Shades over the window will not help. What happens is that the rain runs off of the top (where the gutters once were) and into the top of the door (where the door meet the top when closed). As soon as you open the door, all of the rain that has collected on top of the door pours out all over you. If you have a good door seal it will protect you from getting wet while you drive, if it is a bad seal or over time, it will leak into the cab. We all know what happens when rain gets into the cab - RUST!

I did one on a 67 and it sucked (lived in Seattle area). I wound up trading it off for a Chevelle. If you live in a drier climate it would work great or like people have said, a show truck or a non-daily driver.

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:33 PM   #16
72Chevrolet

The gutters look fine anyways and if you get rain you really do need to keep them on. That would suck to have to scrap a cab because of such menial thing.
72Chevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:06 AM   #17
kevncar

What, are you guys made out of sugar?? Afraid you're gonna melt in the teaspoon of water that might fall on you when you open the door. Come on...shave away!! Just kidding guys. I personally like the shaved drip rail look. Especially if you go through the trouble of removing the lip as rigo mentioned. I have no welding or metal working skills so I hope to find someone that can help/do it for me when I get to that point. I have a 67 with a small window cab that I want to replace with a big window cab. I thought about getting a couple of my buddies that have good welding skills together and see if we couldn't give it a shot on my 67 cab, but a couple of guys have mentioned that they would hate to see me ruin a small-window cab. So, we'll see. Good luck parts-guy

72 Chevelle

67 C10...454/TH400
Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=193961
kevncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:12 AM   #18
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevncar
What, are you guys made out of sugar?? Afraid you're gonna melt in the teaspoon of water that might fall on you when you open the door.
Nope. I'm afraid I'll break up and float away.

Toad
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote