The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
xfsketch
72 fleetside longbed 350

My 72 longbed project Pictures

This is my first classic truck. I knew the previous owner who lost his house and land to the bank and he had to get rid of eveything (10-15 vehicles including cars/trux box vans and go karts) off the property in one months time because he didnt have room at his new house for it all. I was looking for a 350 motor in descent shape to drop in my 85 Trans Am and he said he had just what I was looking for. At first glance I thought wow what a heap! The truck was almost completely taken apart down to the frame so he could do a frame off restore. The guy was a skilled body man and had done the majority of the tough stuff already including (cab corners, door bottoms, fender sheet metal and new bed rails.) he obviously loved this truck! Everything for the body was unbolted or already taken off and set aside (all screws. nuts and bolts in coffee cans un labeled!). The cab was just sitting on the frame with no interior assembled. The bed was on saw horses in his garage where he was replacing the bed rails. I walked up to the hood and lifted it off to the side and right there sitting in front of me was a NICE looking 350 4 bolt main. The previous owner purchased the engine from a guy who rebuilt it not even a year ago and even installed some performance goodies (roller rockers new cam, holley 750 carb.). I asked to hear it run and the guy informed me he lost the keys to it in moving! So based on a friend who knew him's faith in the motor I decided this truck had to be mine!

I play guitar and found out that the guy who had the truck picked around sometimes too so I made him an offer and he took it.
I traded the guy an electric guitar worth $200, a fender guitar amp worth $250 and a 650 holley carburetor for the dis-assembled beauty.

The only problem at the time was that I only had one week to get the truck 30 miles away to my house where I could begin the project and it wasnt in driving condition. I threw a new ignition in it, checked the oil and started her up. It sounded beautiful! My buddy who talked me into the deal was right there beside me helping me every step of the way to get the truck part way assembled so we could haul it to my house.
Attached Images

xfsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
xfsketch
72 fleetside longbed 350

Re: My 72 longbed project Pictures

I took it out for a test run this weekend. Other than leaking valve covers (fixed) she ran like a bute! man that 3-on the tree takes some getting used to! Im still getting some leakage from under the flywheel that I cant quite pinpoint where it is coming from. I have been told this could be the result of a bad rear engine seal. I dont seem to be losing that much, maybe half a quart if I drive it all day long. Does anybody know if it will harm my motor to run it leaking like this as long as I keep the level full? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by xfsketch; 06-19-2006 at 03:11 PM.
xfsketch is offline   Reply With Quote