The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2006, 02:35 AM   #1
silverbullet

455 Pontiac in a chev

Ive always wanted to put a pontiac 455 in my 88 1/2 ton 2wd chev, and now i finally have the money and the shop to do it. Does anyone know if a pontiac motor and a turbo 400 trans will fit in the engine bay of my chev?? if so, are there any major problems i should be expecting to run into in the install??? thanks
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:54 AM   #2
Oldtruckfanatic
Truck junkie

Re: 455 Pontiac in a chev

I have never done this swap into a pickup before but I just got finished working on 2 firebirds 67 and 69 that have 455's in them and these are the things I can tell you from what I saw. Dimensionally the 455 is a bit bigger than a small chevy but not as big as a big chevy so it should fit in the engine compartment easily. The starter and oil filter are on opposite sides from the chevy the starter being on the drivers side and the oil filter on the passenger. so you'll have to reroute the wiring harness to the starter and the positive battery cable. The motor mounts on the ones I worked on bolted to the block similarly to the chevy mounts but the lower part of the mounts was one large stud to go through the frame towers so I'm not sure what you'll need to work out there. You will also have to be careful which exhaust headers you choose although the firebird ones I used on the 67 looked like they would work in a truck chassis pretty well. Other than that everything was very chevyesque lol. There are probably a few other things but none of them jump out at me being as late as it is here. I'm sure there a a few pontiac junkies floating around in here that can get into more detail for you but I thought I'd throw this stuff out there to see if I could be any help.
Oldtruckfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
wibilly

the fuel line will also have to ge routed to the drivers side you might want to get rid of the in tank fuel pump in favor of a mechanical one i'm not sure how the high presure electric will work with a carb, it may be alright with the return line plumbed in . i never tried it so i don't know. when i put the 87 burb tank in my 71 i pulled the pump and extended the pickup and will be using the mech pump
Old 06-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
MisterMan
Account Suspended

wiring harness no prob.... trans.... oh, problems... money matters, shop matters, but do ya have the "smarts" to do it? i'd i'd love to see some pics.... possible build up thread??...
MisterMan is offline   Reply With Quote