The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
GABE310

How to covert 4X4 to 2WD on a Blazer

I'm looking to convert my 4x4 Blazer to a 2Wd. I think their is a thread that talks about it ,but I can't find it. How much does it cost to do this?
65 CHEVELLE CONV
39 CHEVY CABOVER
GABE310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Re: How to covert 4X4 to 2WD on a Blazer

The cost varies based on the how much you can get used parts for.
I've never done the conversion, just read about it on the board. You'll need a front cross-member/suspension from a 2wd PU, a steering box, transmission & cross-member, new driveshaft and u-bolts to put the rear axle above the springs. You could do a custom 4 link suspension in the rear and get it lower but it will cost more. If you go 5 lug upfront, you'll probably need to swap the rear-end to 5 lug too. Trailing arm suspension from a PU can be added, but I guess there is a little fab work needed for the spring mounts or something.

There are several guys who have done the work. Livrat's name pops in my head as the guy who has probably done the conversion the most.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

FUELLCELLGUY also did his and I think he posted pics??

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
Livrat
Member #1049

GABE310... I have done 6 conversion in various configurations over the last 20 years.. The costs can vary quite a bit depending on how you would like it done.. If you do all the work yourself and do not want anything fancy on the suspension.. basically the cost is a 71 - 72 2wd parts truck and lots of your time..
If you want to just send it out and have it done the labor costs run in the ballpark of $3 - $4K using all the stock Chevy components... and up from there if you want trick suspension stuff.
If would like to know anything specific feel free to give me a call
Mark
206-406-2719
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
ortegamotor

hey Mark, this Tony. i am a new member to the fourm and i just posted that same question to all the members.i am currently coverting my 70 cst to 2wd and have taken all of the suspension off as well as the front clip and pulled the motor.what i would like to know from you since you have done a few of these. does the cross member for the front suspension have any bolt holes that line up? and do you have any measuement i can use to get this started?
i have a complete donor suspension from a 69 2wd 1/2 ton that i will use for the front. as for the rear i think the 4 bar set up and air bags might be the way to go. i know that if i use the trailing arms it will look original but the arms will not line up with the fram and i will need to fab some brakets for the air bags.if you have any sugestions i would really appriciate it. tony 415 823-4073 Auburn Ca
ortegamotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:21 AM   #6
blessthess

Hey Gabe I'm doing the same thing as well (Just took my rear end out today) I know you have plenty of pick and pulls in So. Cal the rear end would cost about 55.00 there and the whole front suspension would cost 125.00-150.00 from the same place. Then you need the steering box from a 2wd 1/2 ton (35.00) and cross member (14.00) not sure about the drive shaft have not got that far yet. Good Luck
Old 06-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #7
Livrat
Member #1049

Tony first of all I would like to welcome you to the board,
Sorry to say but none of the holes line up.. The way I usually do it is, Cut off the donor truck frame rails just behind the shock mounts.. then take each frame rail and cut them where they bend so you have three flat pieces, A top, A side, and a bottom.. then use those for templates, You will find some common holes that will line up.. bolt each piece on top of the Blazer frame rails and use "transfer Punches" to center punch all of the needed crossmember holes and start drilling, start with a small bit and work your way up to the desired diameter.. I hope that was not to confusing,
For the rear end the most inexpensive and easiest way is to go purchase some new spring perches and put your rear end on top of the springs, You will have to change the shock location as they will be at too much of an angle to actually work correctly, you do need to make sure the "pinion angle is correct or you will have a vibration and it will eat u-joints,
A 4 bar and an air bag setup is an awesome way to go, just more fabrication and money.
If you would like to know more feel free to give me a call
Mark
206-406-2719
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote