The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
alf1096

Sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been wanting to buy a welder and got the Harbor Freight ad today. I have never bought tools from them before mainly because in tools you usually get what you pay for....But they have 2 welders on sale a flux mig (no Gas) 119.99 reg 199.99 and a tig/arc 199.99 reg 299.99. I welded in high school with a arc and did a little with a mig (with gas). I have a few questions....what is the difference between mig with gas and without pros/cons. Is a tig hard to learn. Should I spend more money to get a nicer one or or these ok for pen hole filling and minor body work and would you recommend mig or tig and why. I know these are alot of questions but I don't know what I need. Any input would be appreciated. I am starting to restore my 70 short step and need a welder to do minor stuff. Here are the items Tig Mighttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search

Last edited by alf1096; 06-21-2006 at 12:30 AM.
alf1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:45 AM   #2
Geezer

Re: Sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like their cheap stuff. For some of those prices they pay for themselfs in one or two uses! I paid $13 for a spray gun that works great! By the time I've cleaned it a few times, I've spent more on cleaning thinner so it's cheaper to buy another one after a few uses...
Old 06-21-2006, 01:08 AM   #3
highboy_04

tig welding is really easy. it's similiar to welding with a oxy/actyl. torch. you can make some beautiful welds with them. i just dont know how much i would trust a $199.00 tig. your call
Old 06-21-2006, 03:10 AM   #4
alf1096

I just looked on teh home depot web site and found the lincoln 3200hd...anybody own this one looks like a decent deal for a good starter package
Old 06-21-2006, 07:39 AM   #5
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf1096
snip...

I have a few questions....what is the difference between mig with gas and without pros/cons. Is a tig hard to learn. Should I spend more money to get a nicer one or or these ok for pen hole filling and minor body work and would you recommend mig or tig and why.

...snip
"MiG" is a process. Metal, Inert Gas. TiG is an acronym for Tungsten, Inert Gas.

In Mig welding you have a shielding gas protecting the weld puddle from the atmosphere. If you didn't have a gas shield oxygen would mix in with the puddle and make the resulting steel porous. A solid steel wire is fed through the tip of your welding gun. An arc is made between this wire and the work. The metal you are adding to the work comes from the wire fed through the gun.

In Tig welding you have a sharpened piece of tungsten. The sharpened tip is very small. The arc is made between the work and this tip. That is how you can weld pop cans and cigarette wrappers back together with this process. The extra metal is comes from a fill rod.

Without a gas shield you need to use flux core wire. The gas shield is made by the evaproating flux in the middle of the wire. This process is used when you have to weld in an environment where you can't control things. Like if you need to weld something outside on a windy day.

For me I saved my money until I could afford a decent machine. I bought a Miller 175. It comes with the gas valve for the shielding gas. I HIGHLY recommend getting a machine WITH the valve, even if you don't buy gas right away. In most wire feed welding machines you can use both solid and flux core wire. The owner's manual will have detailed instructions on how to switch polarity for the process you want to use.

To make a long story short, save your money. Find a local welding supply store. Buy a quality machine from them. They will be able to help you in the future.

For an all around, used mostly on body work machine I'd get MiG over TiG any day. If you get real serious some day and want to make REALLY pretty welds you can start saving for a quality TiG machine.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:09 AM   #6
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

I agree with mrein3. Go big or go home! Or, at least, go good! I spent the money for good machines and haven't regretted it at all! I have a Miller 210 for MIG, and a Miller EconoTIG for TIG and arc welding. Great machines!

But I do know of those who have just bought a cheap wire feed welder for cab corners and/or rockers and done fine. But usually after finishing those projects, something else will always come up that the little buzz boxes just can't handle. Heck, even a little Hobart/Miller 145 is a good machine, and you can use gas too. Harbor Freight has those on sale now and then too.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Blue85
Oilfield Trash

So whats the general rule for mig welder amp ratings vs. steel thickness and what is tig best used for?
80 GMC K10 High Sierra bone stock
70 Chevelle 350SS long term project
68 GMC 3ton Grain Truck/Garbage wagon
50 Pontiac 2 Door Coupe Project
"I've got a shotgun rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank Jr.
Blue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
boogie67

I have a miller 175 when I bought it I did not know how to weld.Since I 've had it a year now I build A 30 x30 carport with it.The miller was real easy to use and I really glad I bought it.Im doing all the welding on my truck myself.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

TIG is generally used for stainless work or work where the weld cleanliness is critical. You can use it for anything you want, but for sheetmetal it's not often used by the DIY because of the amount of heat it puts into the steel can cause more warping if you're not careful. TIG welding is used a lot in the food, hospital, nuclear power areas. Also for aluminum welding, which I never quite got the hang of.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
70GMCer

Harbor Freight is very good for those who don't use the tools that often. I can't see spending big bucks on a tool of any kind, that you will only use once in a while. Like Geezer said, their tools pays for themselves in 1 or 2 uses. I have bought many things from them over the years, and have never had any problems with them. Granted, their tools are not the best, but they serve my purpose. They also offer a great extended warranty for next to nothing. I'd buy that welder and see how you like it. If you don't, take it back and buy a $400.00 Miller......Just my 2 cents worth......

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #11
sleepyboy
'69 Step

From my experience, you need a MIG with shielded gas; cleaner which =stronger welds. I bought a harber freight welder/chicago electric brand. I had a problem with it where the power would get stuck in the on position. I live near San Antonio where they have a few welding repair shops. It had to go in 3 times to find the problem. But, when I go into a welding store to get a part like a new shield tip, they look at me and laugh. It is hard to get parts because most of them are made overseas. I paid a pretty penny for that welder (220 volt MIG/shield gas). I have gotten my money out of it, but IF I did it again, I'd buy a Miller or Lincoln.

Last edited by sleepyboy; 06-21-2006 at 06:05 PM.
sleepyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:37 PM   #12
Fastrucken

I was in your situation about one year ago. I spent 2 solid weeks researching this. I ended up buying a hobart 140 and it rocks. My main project is a 68 mustang w/ alot of rust to be fixed, havent getting around to fixing the stang with it but definatly used it more then enough to warrant its purchase. I wanted the versitality of a 110 welder and definatly wanted a machine w/ gas so I bought the hobart 140 and havent looked back since..
Old 06-23-2006, 12:53 AM   #13
wibilly

it depends on how much you will use it i planed on [and still do] gettin i nice miller but at a swap meet 2 weeks a go i found a centry flux core wire feed with a new roll of wire for $50 so i bought it. it works great! i got the hang of it instantly imo it more than paid for it self in 2 days. i will still buy the miller with gas because they are much cleaner but in the meantime it beats the hell out of trying to weld body panels with my big ol arc welder as i have done in the past
Old 06-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #14
bigjimzlll

TIG is basically the old heli-arc process from the old days. It is used mainly for aluminum,stainless and chrome moly. It can be used on any metal a MIG can be used on also. I see TIG process on race car chassis' and custom headers. At work it's mostly used on stainless pipe.

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #15
72 Cheyenne402

I am in the market for a welder. I saw the same one on sale for 119.99 it looked like a good deal. I just don't know enough about welding. I plan on learning soon. I have a truck that needs some patch panels and I have been intrested in learning how to weld for some time. I may take some cources on it at the local comunity college.
72 Cheyenne402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:09 PM   #16
Frizzle Fry

I have this one. Yeah, I know. You don't normally think of craftsman and welders, but this thing is quality. I think I got it with cart for $300 on sale. Flux or gas. Will do all the body work you want, and weld 3/16 (frame thickness). I'd weld 1/4" with it with passes on both sides. It's probably comparable to the equivalent Lincoln or Miller.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #17
big dump

I've got the Harbor Freight 151T Mig Welder and have had it for a few years now. I've definately gotten my money out of it. I paid 199.00 on sale and have no regrets. I've not had any problems welding everything I need to with it and it works great. I would spring for a nicer Miller or Lincoln now that I'm a confident welder, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Chicago Electric if you're not going to be welding all day every day with it. Just my 2 cents.
big dump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:55 PM   #18
72 Cheyenne402

Chicago Electric sounds like a good welder to start with. I would just be happy to have a welder and to be able to fix my truck. I have been looking at the Harbor freight welders and you can't beat the price for just starting out.
72 Cheyenne402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:09 PM   #19
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Click me for 3 Pages of good info.

Good info to be had through the search feature

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.

Last edited by Tynee; 06-23-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote