The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
beenjaamin

How many hours work to install wiring harness

Hey I picked up a painless wiring harness and was wondering. Without to many hickups, roughly how many hours work and I looking at here? Im working with a 70 GMC 2500.
Attached Images

beenjaamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

Re: How many hours work to install wiring harness

Dont know...but I love your color
1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
SactoJim

Me too............I have to rewire the entire truck and I can't help but think it might take me longer than it took to paint.....considering my electrical skill level or lack there of!
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
13lazer
13lazers' blazers

i don't know much about a painless one. i saw 2 of my friends, both very competant mechanically, take about 3 days to wire a 65 nova wagon. my best advice is to search ebay for a few used harness'. then spread them out and make the best one perfect. i found a crate full of used wire harness' for $40 and now i can rewire my truck in about an hour. hows that for troubleshooting?

1970 2wd blazer
1972 1ton blazer 4x4 in progress
1966 mustang coupe (modified)
1985 c20 suburban tow rig
1996 462 ranger with a 150 efi merc. a former B.A.S.S. tournament boat
almost all exempt from california smog laws intentionally.
13lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
jbarron

I re-wired my entire truck in a weekend no problems. But I did not use the painless option. I went with one of the guys making copies of the original. It was a nice wiring setup with all original type connectors. Did update the wiring for HEI and new style altenator and a few other options that I wanted. The toughest part was all the wiring under the dash for the AC. Does help to have a wiring diagram. The one in the service manual is ok.

Helps if you don't tear up the original one too much so you have something to go by. Do it in sections. The under hood stuff is separate from the cab by the firewall connector. Just be sure to keep all the grounds connected good.

If you are splicing wires solder the connections and use heat shrink tubing. I used wire loom on all the new stuff to keep it in good shape.

I have yet to see one of these trucks without a bunch of modifications so don't be surprised at what you find.

Good luck,
Jim
jbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
NuBomb

I just finished one and it wasn't that bad. I bought a rear taillight harness from GMC Paul which gave me all of the orignal connectors for the rear. The maxi fuse location was a bit confusing, but luckily I got some 8 gauge wire and I was able to mount it in place of the original junction block next to the battery. If you have AC I would suggest buying the AC kit also (I didn't). Just take your time, read and reread the directions, and save the front page of the instructions for the tech support. It took me around 5 days working on and off. If you really stick to it, a long weekend should do. If you are plannig to use an internally regulated alternator you will probably have to buy a diode from radio shack and solder it into the exciter wire. If I can do it, most anyone can. Good luck.

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
NuBomb is offline   Reply With Quote