The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2006, 11:17 PM   #1
RSRXION

VIN breakdown and something's out of whack !

OK guys here's my dilemma.

I bought my hauler after being told it was a 72. A good friend who has 20 plus years of building these trucks under his belt said "nope , it's a 71". He showed me where the rear view mirror had been mounted on the roof interior indicative of the 71's. As we all know the 72's had a windshield mounted mirror. He also pointed out the lack of the screw dimples on the door interiors. 72's had these dimples while 71 back did not. BUT THEN .... I enter the VIN of the truck on the decoder and it comes back as a 72. The title also says 72.

It isn't a real early VIN sequence number so it is very unlikely that they used "leftover " parts to build this truck. As far as I can tell the doors are original to the truck and there is absolutely no mistaking the mirror mount on the cab interior roof. Any ideas on what gives here ?

Incidentally , this unit was a cab and chassis originally I believe and according to the data plate on the drivers side door jamb it's maximum GVW is 14,000 pounds. I also noticed that the cab lights have their own little raised "towers" built right into the factory roof. Would the fact that it's a 1 ton have anything to do with this ?

The VIN is CCE332S166XXX

Thanks, Dean
Attached Images

Last edited by RSRXION; 06-28-2006 at 11:23 PM.
RSRXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Rod

Re: VIN breakdown and something's out of whack !

Vin says 72, door panels say 72,
Cab roof lights were an option in a few years prior. One ton had the roof lights also.
Vin says cab and chassis.
Doors no dimples..its possible for 72.
Sequence numbers seems high also for left over parts..but it's possible.
Mirror ..well that could be possible too.

Your right though or your bud is also..it shows some 71 typical identifiers.
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

I've seen a few 72's where the owner or P.O. installed a roof mount mirror for whatever reason. That a possibility.....

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Is this original paint and rivets for ID-plates?I think it`s possible you have an authentic oddity,like Rod said.Maybe the fact that it`s a cab & chassis has something to do with the "late" left overs.My first thought was,"body-swap".You can install`72-only regulators in the earlier doors.If it`s all swapped,they did it right.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Agree, it is a 72.
The clearance lights were required on cab anhd chassis trucks, they were considered a standard option.
The mirror, I have also seen more than once, when some one would install the old style mirror. It is not unheard of (esp in the shouth) for the glue to let the murror come off the glass. After one or two times, some people say screw it... literally.
Something to look at to tell if it is a 71 cab, 71 was the only year, that there is a raised pad in the sheet metal where the mirror bolts up. Every other year was flat.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:46 AM   #6
RSRXION

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll post a pic of the VIN plate on Saturday. I really think the doors are original to the truck and I am fairly certain that the mirror is original also. I'll include a pic of it too. This old truck is so rough that it won't ever be new again but it's way too good to just crush. That's where it was headed when I found it. At 100.00 a ton for scrap steel I'm glad I got to it when I did. Thanks again , Dean
Old 07-03-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
RSRXION

OK guys I'm making progress. I've included a photo of the VIN tag. Do these rivets appear to be factory correct ? This tag is located down toward the bottom of the back of the drivers' door opening. It's definitely a factory tag and I am fairly certain that it's original to the truck. Thanks for your help, Dean
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

nope.
wrong rivits
Old 07-03-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

That is a very cool truck...'71 or '72. Like Longhorn Man says...not the stock "rosebud" rivets! I love those car haulers...save it!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #10
RSRXION

Is there a number stamped on the chassis somewhere that will correspond to the VIN ? There has been some body work previously in this area so the plate may have been removed at that time and reattached after the repairs. I noticed that there was a thin film of bondo at the fuel tank opening and also some bondo down low near the rocker/cab corner area. I don't think the rockers have been replaced and the cab corners appear to be untouched. The correct rivets really don't mean too much to me as long as the VIN is correct for this truck. Thanks, Dean
Old 07-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #11
RSRXION

I'll certainly save the truck. There is no way I'll let this one get to the crusher. My main objective at this time is to make it run and drive with a proper paint job and interior during the winter months. Thanks for the compliments on what is currently an ugly duckling.

Last edited by RSRXION; 07-03-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:16 PM   #12
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

The vin on the frame should be on the top of the frame on the passenger side on the 3/4-1 tons...I think. On the 1/2 tons it was on the drivers side on top just in front of the cab. I might be wrong on that and will have to go out and check my Longhorn frame.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #13
Robert1970C20rstbukt

The VIN is stamped right next to the steering box on the top of the driver's side frame rail. You might have to wire brush it like I had to in order to read it. What they probably did was swap a cab from another dually and put it on there. Oh yeah another easy way to tell a 71 from a 72 is the 72's had the black plastic vent in the driver's side door jamb.

1984 Chevrolet C30 welding truck 454/SM465
1977 GMC C15 pickup 350/TH350
1970 Chevrolet C20 pickup 350/TH400
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 454/TH350
1969 GMC 8500 478M V6/5 spd winch truck
Robert1970C20rstbukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #14
Longhorn Man

didn't the 71 have that vent too?
Right where I am pointing is where you'll find a partial VIN on teh frame. It'll include the sequential number. Match it to the tag in the ddoor jamb, and you're good. If not, you may need to juimp through some hoops with your state/DMV
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2006, 11:13 PM   #15
RSRXION

Ok guys...... you got me ! I couldn't stand it and I had to go look for myself. It's dark outside except for the frequent rockets red glare from the neighbors kids but I took a chance and made a run for it. I figure the boogey man is also in hiding so I felt pretty safe.

The good news is that you guys were EXACTLY on the money with your advice to the VIN's location.

The best news is that it matches exactly ! It's a partial VIN beginning with the 2S and continuing on with the proper build sequence number. I am very relieved !

Thanks a million for the help guys. I am also a member of a Mustang forum which shall go unnamed. You guys are way more helpful than some of the overbearing members of that site. I've forgotten more about Mustangs than most of them will ever know but these self proclaimed "experts" seem to want to argue about everything. I've included a pic of my rotisserie resto '73 Cobra Jet , 4 gear Mach 1 for you to see. I think it's pretty clear that I don't believe in half assing any thing. You'll also see where my screen name RSRXION came from. We resurrected this old warhorse fron the dead.

Thanks again for the help, you guys are the greatest ! Now about those motor mount locations...... Dean
Attached Images