The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Smallz72project

Question Cant figure it out, shes always been so good.

So this is driving me nuts and I'm hoping someone might have a word of wisdom to point me in the right direction. It all happened a few weeks ago, I got in old blue (72 GMC) and started up fine like she always does, drove her over to my sisters house and when I left there to go to the gas station once again she was fine. Go to the gas station run in and when I came out, turn it to the on pos. and the radio came on and then when I went to crank it over it clicked and then absoulutely NOTHING!! popped the hood and wiggled the positive cable went back and same thing. So I figured it might just be a lil loose so I tightened it up and still nothing. So disconnect it (side post mount) and find out that the cable end has corroded completely through. So while I am tinkering with it for like 20 minutes and about 30 people just walking by gawking without asking if I needed help, I get ahold of my brother in law and have him bring me down another cable end. Get the end on and it starts up like a champ on the first crank. Get her home and the next morning ABSOLUTELY NOTHING again, check the batt. voltage and its fine, check the voltage goin to the starter and thats fine, I've looked at it and cant figure it out for the life of me whats going on. It is a wiring nightmare but I just dont know why one minute fine then the next not. Anyone have a similar problem or advice? It doesnt turn over or even click, but all the accessories work. Any help is greatly appreciated and much needed. Thanks in advance guys.
Todd
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
soonrfish

Re: Cant figure it out, shes always been so good.

sounds kinda like mine did at one time. ended up being the neutral-saftely switch. have you checked that?
Old 07-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

check the little black junction connector there next to the battery mounted on the inner fender passenger side..mine was nasty..nothing no click nothing.
cleaned it redid the ends ..problem sloved..

hope thats it...mark
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
mcw1

You might also check your ground wire coming from your battery and attached to either the motor or an a/c bracket. Sometimes those wiggle loose and cause all sorts of electrical problems, but very easy to fix.
mcw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Odd that you're getting good voltage to the starter, but no action on the starter. That makes me suspicious of the starter or solenoid. If its as easy to get out as most, I'd pull it and run down to the local cheapo parts place and let them test it. Make sure you stand over their shoulder and ensure they make the proper connections, though. The last 2 times I've had starters tested, I had to correct missed connections for them.

Having the starter tested will give you peace of mind that you have eliminated that as a possible cause.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
cdowns

sounds like neutral safety switch// you can take the 2 purple wires off the switch which is located at the bottom of the steering column near the floor inside the cab and jump them out to check if thats the problem
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote