The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
aboyer
Adam B

Door Locks--What I'm I doing wrong??

Ok, I have an issue that I can't figure out and maybe someone can shed some light on the subject. With the door locks on 67-72 trucks, how do you lock the doors. I have push down the lock before shutting method and trying to lock after the door is shut, with nothing working thus far.

I have even purchase a new door latch assembly thinking that something was wrong with my current lock. My truck is finally starting to get nice and I want to somewhat protect it. Locks keep honest people honest.

Anyways, can someone give me some input on this subject, because I haven't figured it out yet.

Adam
aboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

Re: Door Locks--What I'm I doing wrong??

they can only be locked from the outside with the key..
you will never lock your keys in these trucks
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

o i might add the tail piece of the lock cly needs to be in side the wish bone type lock rod ass'y in side the door.

you might try pushing on the door while locking to, if your door jamb lock plate is set to tight.

hope this helps mark
Old 06-27-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
aboyer
Adam B

Ok, well, I am not able to move my locks up or down with my keys when the door is shut. I have cleaned the locks and everything. The metal shaft is in the middle point of the U shaped lock device.

Is there an issue with the locks itself?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
user name

Push the inside lock button down and then hold in on the button on the outside door handle as you shut the door.
user name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:00 PM   #6
aboyer
Adam B

How do I do this in winter when my windows are rolled up?? Or what is the purpose of the locks, if the windows are down while you lock the truck?

Is there something that I am missing with this?

Adam
Old 06-27-2006, 10:00 PM   #7
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

and you tryed this with the door open so there would not be any pressure load on the door it self.
if so try moving the part inside the door with out the lock cyl installed to see if the ass'y is working.
also make sure the lock button rod is not bent or binding.
the door botton is loose in the hole an not binding?

mark
Old 06-27-2006, 10:43 PM   #8
roughedup72

After you shut the door insert your key into the lock,push in on the door and turn the key. I have to push in pretty hard on mine because they are out of adjustment for the time being.If the weather stripping is new then your doors is not shutting good enough to just turn the key and the key will not turn at all.

As username was saying if you push your lock button down and then push in on the door handle button when you shut the door.you dont need to have the window down,This is the way some of the older foriegn cars used to work unfortunately this method wont work either.Good luck.you may need to adjust your striker and lock assembly.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:44 AM   #9
jimfulco

The lock button should move up & down with the key. The locks can be quite stiff on old trucks, especially if they don't get used much. A good hose-down inside the door with WD-40, repeated daily for a few days, can be a help. Move the button up & down by hand while everything's wet. Shoot some inside the lock cylinder with the red tube, also, then work the key around in it some. Don't try to force it, just jiggle as far as it will go.

Once you get it freed up, get some brake cleaner or something and clean all the WD-40 out so it won't gum up next year, then lubricate the cylinder with graphite or a non-gumming spray like Break Free CLP.

Last edited by jimfulco; 06-28-2006 at 01:45 AM.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
aboyer
Adam B

Ok, I finally was able to work on the door locks. As of right now, I am able to move the locks up and down with the door not latched.

When the door is closed, the locks are unable to move down to lock. I did put new weatherstripping on recently, but not sure if this is the issue. On the passenger door, with the door shut, I can lock and un-lock all day long.

Everything looks fine, so I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.
Help me out if you know what I need to look at??

Adam
Old 07-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
john
member #16

Have you tried pushing in on the door fairly hard while locking? That usually works if it will lock unlatched but not while latched.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #12
pa_snowman

ok some of this sounds like you are just guessing outthere. i have a 67 with the origional locks still installed. the way they work is like follows......if you push the button down and close the door it pops up, it doesn't matter if you hold the door release button on the outside in (like most othere) or not. once the door is shut you can either push down the lock button from the inside or use the key. if you try to open the door without unlocking it first it is almost impossible to unlock it unless you push the door back into the full closed/latched position. this is caused by the door latch particially releasing and putting all the pressure on the locking parts. hope this helps clear things up a little.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:47 PM   #13
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

yup ...push in hard on the closed door while locking...or back the latch plate out. so you don't have to push in as hard or at all to lock it..
now that you have the lock working while the door is open, you know it's just some binding with it closed...good job..mark
Old 07-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #14
C10 Club Tennessee

I also have this same problem with my truck. It's been like this for a year now, since it came back from the body shop. I was told a few months ago that the doors need a little adjusting. In the winter I'm going to take it to a body shop and have them adjust everything right.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote