The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done?

I didn't get a darn thing accomplished. I had good intentions, but they went the sh!t in a hand basket. I got up early yesterday and washed my daily driver because it was nasty from the rain all week. I spent the rest of the day running service calls, in the rain. So much for my clean truck.

This morning I washed my truck and my Wife's Yukon XL. Did a little pool maintenance, then went on a service call, IN THE RAIN. So much for my clean truck x2.

So I figure I will finally get a chance to work on my 77 and put the alt belt on that I has been laying on my bench for three weeks. I pop the hood to find my ratchet and socket hanging on the alternator. No big deal except I started it yesterday. Fortunately that was only a scare. I try to install my new belt, only to find it's way too short.

In the meantime I notice oil leaking from the front of the motor. I try to air the truck up to see where it's coming from, but the compressor won't kick on. I check the fuse and it's blown. No biggie, right? I spend 15 minutes looking for a pack of fuses that should have been in my glove box.

I run off to the parts store to get the correct belt and a pack of 30 amp fuses. One more try at installing it and being productive. No chance! This belt is longer, but still not long enough. WTF! I look at the part numbers on all three belts and they are the same. I have no clue whats going on, but now I have to try again.

I look at the clock and see it's 5 minutes before the parts store closes, and they are 15 minutes from me. So I put everything back up and walk away.....

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 07-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
bodydropped

Re: What did you get done?

finally got my trusses up on our new shop just waiting to put the tin on
last night my daily started to run like crude thought it was the dist come to findout the fuel pump went out lucky it did it know instead of on my way to austin in 2 weeks but 3 hrs later put the new pump in and had it runnin again but sucks workin at night with no lights
Old 07-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
C-10volvo

well as anyone will tell you, its all in the details... i took apart my front clip and cleaned up and polished the rad support and the chrome trim.

enjoy the pics and sorry for the messy shop and dusty truck. i need a car cover bad
Attached Images

For everything else: 1997 BMW M3

Last edited by C-10volvo; 07-09-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
bagged74
its just $$$$$

I got my rear shock mounts and track bar built. Now I just need to turn the frame upside down so I can do a little finish welding. I hope to have the frame finished and the body back on next weekend.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
jdmaffeo

I spent most of Saturday working on my 84. I have been slowly installing the power windows and door locks. All that I lack now is putting on the door panels and getting a new door lock switch for the passenger side and wiring it in to the fuse panel (I'll start a new thread for that). All in all it was a good weekend!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I had to work most of it. Today I'm off so I ran and got a O-ring for my output shaft for the tranny on the truck. When they did the rebuild they must have not replaced it. No biggie for me. I'll have it swapped out later after the rain passes. The Blazer is needing major attention as I've not had any time for it lately but hopefully this weekend coming I will.

Yesterday I was able to get the echo chambers off with my cut off wheel and sounds much better IMO. Before it was the same sound through out the RPM band. Now it actually sounds different with more levels of tone to it without the drone.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 07-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I went up to test fit the turbo setup I have planned for the truck and picked up a few items I needed to work on for it.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 07-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
moneyeater

After i asked around here about thining out the leafpacks of my truck i went in my shop and BANG....3 hours later i had 2 leafs removed on each side!
I hope that the ride will improve on this mod!?
Should i install a swaybar on the rear?
Name:  Federpaket1.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  Blattfedern.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  Federpaket2.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  Federpaket Kingpin.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  Federpaket5.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  66.4 KB
Old 07-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #9
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

looked at more houses....
which means the truck will soon have a garage spot and time to work on it!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

moneyeater that should mae a big difference in your ride. Nice to see some progress shots.

Hey Eric glad to see you around again. Good luck on the house hunting...

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 07-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #11
mingoman

I put a new air compressor on my '93 and have it going again.This is no time to be without air! Not been able to do much to the Chevelle lately. We had a co-worker have surgery and I've been working my shift & most of his the last month. I only need to put the new brake & fuel lines on & I'll be ready to set the body back on.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:29 PM   #12
SlapFish
Real Men Wear Orange

Went from pic 1 to pic 2 then cut the bed up and put it in my orange truck. Replaced 2 injectors and a glow plug, an improvement, but not big. Going to replace the rest in the morning. Frame isn't rusted either. My dad went along it all with a screw driver...just surface nonsense. I'm gonna send it off to be sandblasted next week...or this weekend hopefully.

Last edited by SlapFish; 07-13-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:35 PM   #13
cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
This belt is longer, but still not long enough. WTF!
I had a similar experience, but with different part numbers. Had to go back to the auto parts store and exhange for a 1/2" longer belt. The third one finally fit
Old 07-13-2006, 11:55 PM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell
I had a similar experience, but with different part numbers. Had to go back to the auto parts store and exchange for a 1/2" longer belt. The third one finally fit
This is weird. The belt that was on it when I picked it up from having the motor installed was slipping so I tightened it up. It started slipping again so I tightened it up some more and it snapped.

I took it to the auto parts and they matched it with one that had the same part number. When I tried to put it on, it was waaay too short. I compared it to the old belt and sure enough it was quite a bit shorter.

I bought a new belt and compared it to the original belt. It was exactly the same length, and again had the same part number as the original belt. I went to put it on, and it "almost" went over the pulley.

So now I have to get another one a little longer, but I'm still scratching my head as how the first one worked and now that length won't....

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 07-14-2006, 12:48 AM   #15
SlapFish
Real Men Wear Orange

How old was the belt? Maybe they added a length or two or three somewhere above and it bumped your number down a few...
Closed Thread