The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Finally Lower-Before and After Pics

I lowered the front end of my truck 2.5" with Western Chassis spindles about a two years ago when I rebuild the front end. I finally dropped the rear with Western Chassis 4" drop leaves a few weeks ago.

I took a "before" picture, but have not had the truck in the same spot since then. I took an "after" pic a couple of nights ago from the other side of the driveway, and reversed it to look like the first one. I wasn't able to match the angle because of the neighbor's lime tree. I'll move things around eventually and take a decent "after" shot.

Slonaker

Last edited by Slonaker; 07-07-2006 at 04:00 PM. Reason: speellinggg
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
see ten
WTB this ad

Re: Finally Lowere-Before and After Pics

Looks good! What size tires are you running with that combo and how do you like the ride so far?
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: Finally Lowere-Before and After Pics

I run 255/70/15 BFG Radial TAs for the moment. The tires were purchased before I lowered it. They don't give me any problems, but I might go with a shorter tire in the front next time.

It rode fine with just the drop spindles and new stock coil springs. I don't like the way it rides right now. It is quite bouncy since I lowered the back. Every bump bounces 5 or 6 times before it stops.

I have the cheapest rear shocks I was able to find when I bought them because I was hoping to soften the ride with the stock springs. I never put them on, so I installed them new (sat in the gargage for 4 years in the box) when I lowered it. I also used shock relocaters.

I plan to try some better shocks to see if I can eliminate the bouncing. If that doesn't help, I may try trimming the bump stops, or look into seeing if there are others available to get more suspension travel, though it does not feel like it is bottoming out.

Slonaker
Old 07-07-2006, 11:39 PM   #4
SSC's76
No No

Re: Finally Lower-Before and After Pics

Looks good!

Thats the same drop I'm going to go with on the 76. Nice to know about the tire size too since it's going to be a while before I get new rubber.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Looks good
Your probably going to need a much firmer shock because the springs are softer than what you had. Check with Swervin Ervin and see what he's running...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
boatpuller

i like it.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
Ric83

Me too. Looks good.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Thanks, guys.

Slonaker
Old 07-10-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Check with Swervin Ervin and see what he's running...
He was running Edelbrock IAS shocks.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #10
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Man that's lookin' good. I bought that size tire based on your recommendation and it looks great with that drop, which is the drop I'd go for if I decide to lower mine. So no tire/fender rubs with those 70s I assume?

Lookin' good slonaker', inspired me once again.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord

Last edited by cliffsta; 07-10-2006 at 11:14 PM.
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #11
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffsta
Man that's lookin' good. I bought that size tire based on your recommendation and it looks great with that drop, which is the drop I'd go for if I decide to lower mine. So no tire/fender rubs with those 70s I assume?

Lookin' good swervin', inspired me once again.
Swervin?

No, nothing rubs anywhere, ever. You have aftermarket wheels, so they may have a little bit different offset.

Slonaker
Old 07-10-2006, 11:14 PM   #12
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Sorry, I was reading about 5 things at once... i fixed it.

Hasn't been my day, needless to say
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #13
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I could do a LOT worse than to be mistaken for Mike. I wish my truck was half as nice as his. His original site, back before he even had a domain name, was the first place I went for information when I was looking for a 73-87.

Slonaker
Old 07-12-2006, 11:00 AM   #14
Ric83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
I could do a LOT worse than to be mistaken for Mike. I wish my truck was half as nice as his. His original site, back before he even had a domain name, was the first place I went for information when I was looking for a 73-87.

Slonaker
No kidding. I found this place from going to his site. That and finding Dave's site from his stolen truck.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:12 PM   #15
bigarmzz

truck looks killer man!

so whats those drop leaves like?...i've always just seen the shackle flips for the rear i never knew that this was an option
Old 07-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #16
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz
truck looks killer man!

so whats those drop leaves like?...i've always just seen the shackle flips for the rear i never knew that this was an option
Thanks! The photo I have of it lowered isn't a very good one, but you get the idea.

The drop leaves are like the stock leaves, but they have no overload, and only about 3 leaves. I chose them because I had HD springs on the truck, and I knew they would soften things up.

They come with new rubber bushings, since they are new, and that's a plus. They are also a lot easier to install than shackles/hangers. You don't have to remove any rivets from the frame like with hangers or cut the bed supports like you have to do to clear shackles.

To go really low, I'm guessing a flip kit is probably a better option. I don't plan to go any lower than 4 inches in the back, so these should work out pretty well. The ride is a little soft right now, but I think putting decent shocks on it like was suggested above, will improve that.

It sits dead level right now, but the difference in fender height front to back creates an illusion of the back being lower. I am considering some 1" drop coils to give it just a little rake.

Slonaker
Old 07-12-2006, 07:52 PM   #17
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

Lookin' good!

How much arch is in the new spring packs with the truck's weight on them (or are they about flat)? How thick are the new springs compared to the old ones? Did they drop your truck exactly 4"?

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #18
bigblock73
yeller

Slonaker, I don't think I have ever seen you post your truck here. I must say, I love your truck, for its simplicity, cleanliness...and timeless good looks that will never go out of style. It looks really sweet lowered just like you have it.

If you ever get bored or have some free time, you should submit your truck to readers rides on 73-87.com...I'd love to add it!

Same goes for the rest of you guys.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #19
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Thanks!

It sits dead level right now, but the difference in fender height front to back creates an illusion of the back being lower. I am considering some 1" drop coils to give it just a little rake.
Slonaker
Looks good, Slon.
I agree. A bit of rake would look even better.

Drop the front ...
Then drop the rear ...
Now drop the front a bit more ...
Opps, Now the rear ...
Ah... just bag it.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:20 PM   #20
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma
Lookin' good!

How much arch is in the new spring packs with the truck's weight on them (or are they about flat)? How thick are the new springs compared to the old ones? Did they drop your truck exactly 4"?

Thanks!
That's a lot of questions! I had to go crawl around the garage and under the truck to get an answer.

The springs have just a slight arch to them.

The old springs were 4 leaves plus an overload. The new ones are just 3 leaves. If you are asking thickness in inches, let me know. I can go measure them.

The drop was very close to 4 inches when I first put them, probably 3.75" or so. I just measured it again, and it is 3" on one side and 3.25" on the other. Part of it is probably due to a little settling. The rest is probably because Costco balanced my tires a few days ago, and they always overinflate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
Looks good, Slon.
I agree. A bit of rake would look even better.

Drop the front ...
Then drop the rear ...
Now drop the front a bit more ...
Opps, Now the rear ...
Ah... just bag it.
As much as I would like to install bags, it just isn't in the budget. I have to many other projects, so the money is spread too thin.

I would like to lower it a little more in the front, but I'm afraid that my tires will be too big at 255/70/15. They only have about five thousand miles on them, so I'm not yet ready to replace them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
Slonaker, I don't think I have ever seen you post your truck here. I must say, I love your truck, for its simplicity, cleanliness...and timeless good looks that will never go out of style. It looks really sweet lowered just like you have it.

If you ever get bored or have some free time, you should submit your truck to readers rides on 73-87.com...I'd love to add it!
Thanks! I apreciate the kind words. I know from some past posts that we both like to keep things simple.

I don't have much else planned for the exterior. One of these days I will repaint it, and remove the side trim and badges. I'll probably keep it the same color because I'm too lazy to pull everything apart like you did. I would also like to go with a tailgate handle relocator kit, blazer trim on the tailgate, and a Blazer/Suburban bumper.

Most folks question my taste. I like 15" tires, steel wheels, mirrors that I can actually see things out of, and a real rear bumper. I'll never get rid of the dumbo ears or the Silverado trim. The only added chrome on my truck is the transmission pan, and that is because I wanted one with a drain plug.

I don't usually post photos of it because I have a link to my photo gallery in my signature. I really need to clean it up and take some new photos now that all of the suspension has been updated. Almost everything on my site shows it when it was really tall, with HD springs on the front. When I get some current photos, I'll submit it to your site along with a link to my site (http://www.slonaker.net/truck.html).

Slonaker
Old 07-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #21
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

Quote:
That's a lot of questions! I had to go crawl around the garage and under the truck to get an answer.

The springs have just a slight arch to them.

The old springs were 4 leaves plus an overload. The new ones are just 3 leaves. If you are asking thickness in inches, let me know. I can go measure them.

The drop was very close to 4 inches when I first put them, probably 3.75" or so. I just measured it again, and it is 3" on one side and 3.25" on the other. Part of it is probably due to a little settling. The rest is probably because Costco balanced my tires a few days ago, and they always overinflate them.
Slonaker

Thanks alot, I really appreciate you getting answers for me. Reason I ask about the pack thickness is I was wondering how much drop actually results from the reduced thickness of the pack versus the lesser arch to the springs. I have a Suburban with 8 leaves in each pack, and drop leaves aren't specifically marketed for Subs... So, I basically have to try to extrapolate what springs I need to avoid dropping the Sub too far. (For reference, Performance Online offers several different drops in both 52" and 56" springs.)

I'm with you on the 15" wheels (but I like aluminum), real bumpers and mirrors. Old school is where it's at!
Old 07-14-2006, 04:49 PM   #22
TEAM THC
CUSTOM CHEVY FIEND

Lower In The Rear Sure Looks Better.

SEE PROJECT PICTURES AT CARDOMAIN.COM. SEARCH MEMBER ID TEAMTHC
TEAM THC is offline   Reply With Quote