The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2006, 02:22 AM   #1
jimmydean

What length of shock do I need for a bagged c10?

If I run a 2.5" drop spindles, 2" lowering blocks, and bag all four corners, what length of shocks would I need for my '69? I need to order them when I order my kit, but they are asking for a length measurment both dropped and at ride height. Does anyone know what that would be? I am ordering the shock relocators as well.

Last edited by jimmydean; 07-14-2006 at 02:24 AM.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
bagged74
its just $$$$$

Re: What length of shock do I need for a bagged c10?

I have actually used the stock length shocks on the front before. Im not sure about the rear.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #3
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Someone double-check me, but I believe you can order front shocks for 2-4" drop, and rears for 4-6". Go to CPP's website, or their catalog and they list their Doetsch Tech shocks under these drops. One thing to consider though....Lowering blocks don't affect the shock travel length since the shock mounting point is below the blocks so if you've got 2" blocks on a static suspended rear the shock mounting point remains the same as before the blocks were put in.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fleet
Lowering blocks don't affect the shock travel length...
OP also indicated bags, so there's 5+" shock compression when deflated.

jimmydean, you're going to need to notch the frame in the rear. With bags alone, you're going to bottom on the frame. If you go with the CPP notch, you're then going to bottom the pumpkin, ever so slightly, on either the wide bed crossmember or the bed floor itself. Adding the 2" blocks will only exascerbate the issue. Unless you're prepared to clearance for the above things, save the $80 on the blocks and just do bags.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
jimmydean

Ok, thanks for the tips. I am notching the frame with a bolt in notch and will roll minus the blocks for now.

I went to CPP's site and saw the "delux shock kit" and will go that route because you can specify the shock length and it includes the relocators. Before I was just looking at "lower shocks" and the shop wanted to know the length, that's why I asked.

Thanks again to everyone for the input on this phase of my rig. I have my full bag buildout laid down now and the only thing missing is the drop sindle discs. I am doing a TON of work this round and will post pictures when it's all said and done. This is a major step on this project and I'm stoked!
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

xxl, I am going to run into the pumpkin hitting the bed floor as soon as my bags go in, but that's nothing a little cutoff wheel can't fix.....There's not much of the bed that will need to be cut out to clearance for the rear end
Old 07-15-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
NeverEnough188

when choosing shocks you need to take measurements from the mounting points at laid out and all the way up. this will give you the collapsed and extended measurements you need. generally the actual shock needs about 1/2" more than your measurements either way so that its not limiting lift or bottoming out completely.
NeverEnough188 is offline   Reply With Quote