The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #1
Harvard

Hello

Hello,
Well, I am new here and figured I outta start posting. I have just bought,(last week) a 1982 Chevy 1/2 ton,4x4, short bed, step side. No, I dont have any pictures. Anyway, it needs work, and put back together. I have my choice between a 327 and a 350. I think I am going to chose the 327, keep the auto tranny, and put in a part time transfer case. What do you all think? Any way, I am going to be here alot. I am switching brands,leaving Ford. What is a good parts source for body panels and interior parts. I need a complete interior. Gauges and everything. Thanks for letting me ramble.
Harvard
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: Hello

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi! Keep an eye on the parts board for used parts.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

Welcome to the board from Minnesota. Your truck sounds like a good project, post some pictures as soon as you can...we love pics here.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Welcome to the board. With the engine choices I would prefer the 350 myself. The 350 should have more torque than the 327 all depending on how they were built up. Being a 4x4 you will want the torque more than the HP for trails, off roading etc.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:17 AM   #5
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Welcome to the board, gotta love steppers, if ya read around I'm about to put pretty much new metal all on mine and get it painted. but enough gloating.

For the largest selectrion check out www.lmctruck.com a great place, prices are the best but they have EVERYTHING and the catalog is free. I got a little order coming in 7/13.

For really good prices check out www.classicparts.com formerly www.chevyduty.com the prices are great but alotta stuff is backordered and/or temporarily out of stock. Customer service is great, though, I had bedsides and a hood and a bunch of other big stuff shipped and they worked with me very well.

Also check the "for sale" forums here, all kinda goodies show up, and I'll be adding as soon as I subscribe and get that cool "Site Supporter" tag under my name.

Welcome from Louisiana!!!

Cliff
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
Harvard

Thanks Everyone. Cliff, I have a a lmc catalog coming. Cant wait. Yep, gotta love step sides. I will get pics up as soon as possible. And, Brandon, I need to build a motor. I have my choices between a 327 or a 350. I was thinking 327 to get maybe some better gas milage. As this will be my dd. Well, then again I dont see how 23 less c.i. would get me any more milage, what do you think?
Thanks,
Harvard
Old 07-13-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard
...I am switching brands,leaving Ford...
Sweet!!!

Welcome aboard, from the North. You'll love it here. I've been sorta quiet the last number of months with too much stuff going on, but it's always a great place to hang out. Tons of great people and info to be shared.

Have fun with the truck, and I'd say go with the 350.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Welcome to the board.
I sell body panels, flooring, digital gauges, door panels and dash covers... And I am pretty competitive with LMC also.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

You can make the 350 a good DD and a get up and go when you want to. Just make sure the setup compliments each other instead of overpowering one and not enough of another.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 07-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
Harvard

Wow, thanks everyone. I cant wait to get this truck done. I think I am going with the 350. Thanks Capt Kaos. I will be visting your site very very soon.
Thanks Everyone,
Harvard
P.S. I have some pics, just cant figure out how to post them.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #11
krue
Designated A-hole!

I don't know about the 73+ trucks but the 67-72 guys use the LMC catalog as an assembly guide, but wouldn't bother ordering parts from them. Check the review board for more info.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:40 PM   #12
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I tend to agree with krue. I've used LMC before. After getting the parts some of them were orignal GM stuff. I then called the dealer (where I can get wholesale price) and checked prices on said parts. Come to find out I could have bought them local and saved money. Believe it or not the dealer was much cheaper on some stuff. Besides that, the parts that wasn't GM were overseas repop stuff. Since all this happened, I refuse to order anything from LMC. I do love their catalog though.

Oh, and welcome to the board from North Carolina.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:52 AM   #13
cckutchma

Hello and welcome from Springfield IL. Go with the 350, Good tuned = Good Gas Mileage
cckutchma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #14
Harvard

Thanks. I will check out the review board. When you say good tuned, like what do you mean? Stock pistons and maybe a mild cam or completely stock?
Thanks,
Harvard
Old 07-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #15
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard
Thanks. I will check out the review board. When you say good tuned, like what do you mean? Stock pistons and maybe a mild cam or completely stock?
Thanks,
Harvard
AS long as the engine is tuned to best air/fuel/ignition ratio you can get better mileage than you would with a truck rinning like the car from "Uncle Buck". You can get a warmed over cam with a stock converter and a set of heads and still have good performance for the truck while still keeping the fuel tank on the full side. It really depends on the whole setup. It depends on your everyday driving, emissions equipped or not, trans and rear gears etc. For example you can build a great engine with all the plans of being a goof performance and such and the tranny is a Th350 and the rear gears are like 2.73. You'll get better mileage overall but the rear gears are holding you back. The gears would hurt you since you're applying more torque to get the truck off the line. Same thing in reverse say you had 4.10 gears with the same setup. You would have great off the line but your engine would be winding up more to turn those lower ratio gears and your RPM would be higher at the same speed as you were with the 2.73 setup.

Same thing with the engine. If you have a good intake and cam but really bad ignition system then you're not going to run very well. If you have the carb setup to right air fuel mixture, timing set, and the cam working well with the heads and intake with none overpowering the other then you can set it all up right and drive with a smile on your face and better fuel mileage. It's all about being able to get the right setup for your needs.

Last edited by 79BIG10; 07-16-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #16
Ric83

Good to have you with us. There is a wealth of information on here, so ask away. I don't have my truck anymore and I still hang around on here. Greatest group of guys and gals you will ever meet.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #17
cckutchma

:coolExactly what 79 said Thanks for backing me up
cckutchma is offline   Reply With Quote