The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
WTB3

Changing Seats?

I have the original bench seat in my '71 C10 I would like to change it to newer bucket seats... which seats fit the best and what modifications will I have to make for the conversion from bench to bucket or any other modifications at all.
WTB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
muddpile

Re: Changing Seats?

I'm using early 90's chev truck buckets/console, and they fit great. No mods other than drilling holes and welding nuts and washers to the underside of the cab (which isn't even that necessary.) Here's a picture:

muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
Jim_PA

Those look awesome (and functional...) My concern is that they look like they'd make my leg room even less than what I have now, but I might have to find a set like that!
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
jamon8

you can put whatever seats you want to in the truck. I am going to try to find a set without headrests that recline.

now matter what the bolt pattern is you can take some 1 inch diameter steel pipe and adjust your seat height and weld the pipe to the floorboards

I am 6'2 and need the space so I need the seat as close to the back of the cab as possible. I had to change the position of the tank like the picture shows and i will have to modify the seat positioning but comfort ussually will cost time or money and i am willing to pay!

Last edited by jamon8; 07-20-2006 at 09:43 AM.
jamon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #5
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamon8
I am 6'2 and need the space so I need the seat as close to the back of the cab as possible. I had to change the position of the tank like the picture shows and i will have to modify the seat positioning but comfort ussually will cost time or money and i am willing to pay!
I'm as tall as you -- I can sit in the truck, but I couldn't imagine making more than an hour trip or so the way the seats are now. For now I'll let it go as-is, but will evenutally need to come up with something.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
jamon8

that is why I want some new style low back buckets so I can put them as far back as I can

I put a hyd clutch in so I need to have the space.

I am going to make my own brackets so I can adjust them as needed.

I want the buckets to kind off fit underneath the lip under the window. it is important to have leg room and not so important to be lying down in the truck like I do in my 91 TA
jamon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Legroom in these trucks is not much compared to newer models, so finding a modern and comfortably shaped seat that doesn't place your knees against the dash takes some looking around. I agree with Jamon8, I think the seats look best when kept below the bottom of the back window.