The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Apache'71

Late Model GM Air Conditioning?

Assuming there are some guys out there that have taken a late model GM truck and used it as a donor to wrap a 67-72 body around it. (Well, maybe more like stuff late model GM parts into it)...

Has anyone tried to install an entire late model A/C system into a 67-72? If so, how'd it go and what was the donor vehicle?

How cool would it be to have a late model, dual-zone climate control system? Of course dual-zone would be almost pointless in a two-door truck cab, but I'd really like to remove my steel dash and install a proper defrosting vent that spans the entire length of the dash and then attempt to hard pipe (pvc/abs plastic or something) the remainder of the vents. It is just that that corrugated hose and two dinky defrosters as OE, just don't cut it.

What do you think?

Thanks.
Apache'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Late Model GM Air Conditioning?

I think it`s a cool idea you have.You know it`s funny though,I have a`92 GMC I bought new.The defroster on that is way less efficient than these older trucks.I think it`s too much glass.The outlets are in the center and the outer corners get all iced up and it creeps into the path of the wiper.It`s been a pita since new,but I`ve never heard anyone talk about it.The tipof the drivers wiper gets all built-up so the blade doesn`t contact and the whole thing ices.I have to stop or reach out the window to pop the wiper trying to gett ice off.The73-87 design was much better.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
cstanley

i saw a '72 some years back that had the 92 or so "squared" dash fit into the cab. it actually looked really good, on account of the boxiness of the hood and the dash. i don't know if it was just a dash, or the whole truck that was swapped.

wish i could find more info for you.

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
BigChevMan
My Thoughts Exactly!

The computer on a dual zone is going to be the bugger. Most of them are integrated with other systems in the vehicle. My grand prix has body control module that controls pretty much everything on the car in one computer. As far as the defroster vent...you can make that whatever size you want. I've seen them that run across the whole dash.

Last edited by BigChevMan; 07-20-2006 at 02:59 PM.
BigChevMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
project1971

well what about the outside parts from a new model anyone use those parts?
2000 Cavalier z24 (gas saver)
project1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:48 AM   #6
Apache'71

I think the entire country is undergoing a heat wave right now...

That said, my commuter vehicle is a Ford F-150 fleet truck (company owned) which has a very simple 3 nob/dial climate control system that absolutely turns the interior of that truck into an ice box...110 lately in NorCal...and defrosts great in the winter...

The dual zone is probably overly complicated and really not worth the hassle (or the price); but I could imagine a late model GM fleet/stripped down truck (simple A/C w/ manual controls) would be perfect...besides there is nothing more ugly than the stupid looking contol unit offered by those aftermarket outfits, i.e. vintage air...or the sticky pour operability of the factory unit...
Apache'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:05 AM   #7
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache'71
besides there is nothing more ugly than the stupid looking contol unit offered by those aftermarket outfits, i.e. vintage air...or the sticky pour operability of the factory unit...
For my 71 have thevintage air switch that is factory looking but all micro switched so it has a stock look but is smooth and with out cables!

I like your idea of a later swap and I will start keeping an I out for options my self.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:12 AM   #8
gator2511

My Vintage Air uses the factory stock dash controls. Even though the truck didn't have factory air, they made the controls work.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote