The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
rdwhite01

Replacing corner bed strips?

I'm am taking my pickup bed apart in preperation for paint and new wood on my 1957 short bed pickup. In the process I discovered my corner bed rails are not in the best of shape and need to be replaced. While I don't want to replace the whole bed side, I am unsure if trying to remove and replace the welded corner bed strips is worth the effort? Has anyone suscessfullly removed and replaced these welded corner strips and still ended up with a great looking pickup bed? If you have accomplished this task, what is the best method and what are the pitfall I can run into on this job.

Thanks for any help.

Rick
rdwhite01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:16 AM   #2
5Mike7

Re: Replacing corner bed strips?

I think I know what you're talking about, the ones on my '59 were rough and thin, little grinding, little airchisel, little more grinding and then I welded in angle iron where the original were.

Actually made it look better than original.
5Mike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:56 AM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Like 5Mike7 said it can be done its a chore and they do sell the rails and parts for them. Some of the board vendor have them.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

The replacements can be bolted or welded on. Replacements are available from most vendors with the square bolt holes and cut to the correct length. Some people use angle covers to cover the old angles if they are still sturdy but just ugly. The instruction http://www.mar-k.com/54-72anglestrips.pdf may help if you decide to replace the angle strips.

Mar-Ktech