The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2006, 01:08 AM   #1
CMars45000

Replacing floor, rockers and cab corners...

My 71 C10 truck is in need of some new floors, rockers and cab corners. In the past I have had not-so-good luck with replacement floors from LMC, especially the floors on my 87 K5 Blazer...they didnt fit worth a crap...

Who makes the best fitting floors rockers and cab corners for 67-72 pickups? I dont want to beat these things into submission with a body hammer all day long just to get them to come close to fitting... Also from your experiences, is it best to lap-weld the new floor in or take the time to trim it and have a bunch of butt-welds? This isn't going to be a mirror-under-vehicle show truck but I am aiming high for the fit and finish on the final product...

Thanks for the input and any pics of your floor and rocker replacement pics would be greatly appreciated...

Chris
CMars45000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
CMars45000

Re: Replacing floor, rockers and cab corners...

Bueller...? Bueller...?

ttt
Old 07-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #3
mblackburnjr
collector of vintage rust

uh,..........he's sick or something!..jk ttt for ya!
mblackburnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

I used LMC inner and outer rockers,lower A pillar panels, cab corners,and doors on the 72 I just did. The floor pans did require being beat into submission to fit, but not that bad. The rockers and cab corners were OK, the doors required some persuasion in the glass frame area, but overall they were fine for the price I paid for them. There was a post on a one piece floor for these trucks and I would really like to see them. We overlapped the floor patches, drilled and plug welded them, then ground the welds down and covered them with mar-glass. From underneath you have a hard time spotting the seams. I will get some pictures posted for you this evening of the install...
Bob
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
cwilkie
Chance

I have had great luck with GMC Paul's and MotherTruckers for all my sheet metal needs. Both places of business are professional and extremely helpful. That's my 2cents.

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton 4x4
BB 496 w/TH400
cwilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
CMars45000

Quote:
Originally Posted by centsless
I used LMC inner and outer rockers,lower A pillar panels, cab corners,and doors on the 72 I just did. The floor pans did require being beat into submission to fit, but not that bad. The rockers and cab corners were OK, the doors required some persuasion in the glass frame area, but overall they were fine for the price I paid for them. There was a post on a one piece floor for these trucks and I would really like to see them. We overlapped the floor patches, drilled and plug welded them, then ground the welds down and covered them with mar-glass. From underneath you have a hard time spotting the seams. I will get some pictures posted for you this evening of the install...
Bob

Awesome...the pic would be great...

Chris
Old 07-25-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Hi Chris,

Just about any of the board vendors will have quality sheet metal. I haven't had to do a floor yet, so I'm not really much help to you there.

But, welcome to the board! I work in Fort Collins, as well as a few more of us on the board (powell72, dirtball). Look any of us up if you need anything!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:44 PM   #8
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

Here are a few. I hope they are helpful. Let me know if you need any more.

Attachment 209702

Attachment 209703

Attachment 209704

Attachment 209705

Attachment 209706
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board

Last edited by centsless; 10-04-2007 at 08:43 PM.
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:58 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I just bought a truck for the bed,a`69 C/20 Stepside.It has original paint and no rust...well,except in the bottom because kids were playing in it and left the windows open...FOR YEARS!!!So,I plan on doing all the bottom.This is encouraging.I`ll be buying the new complete floor pan.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #10
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMars45000
My 71 C10 truck is in need of some new floors, rockers and cab corners. In the past I have had not-so-good luck with replacement floors from LMC, especially the floors on my 87 K5 Blazer...they didnt fit worth a crap...

Who makes the best fitting floors rockers and cab corners for 67-72 pickups? I dont want to beat these things into submission with a body hammer all day long just to get them to come close to fitting... Also from your experiences, is it best to lap-weld the new floor in or take the time to trim it and have a bunch of butt-welds? This isn't going to be a mirror-under-vehicle show truck but I am aiming high for the fit and finish on the final product...

Thanks for the input and any pics of your floor and rocker replacement pics would be greatly appreciated...
I believe all the suppliers get all their patch panels off the same presses.
Most folks on the board buy their stuff from board sponsors. LMC is not one of the sponsors.

Butt weld all your seams if you can. The will reduce the areas where rust can reappear.

I also coated the inside of the rocker and rocker backer where I wasn't going to be welding with rust paint. Even better would be to get a pressure pot and a wand to spray in there from the front access hole when you are done.

Use body seam sealer on all the seams when you are done.

I just did the drivers side over the 4th of July. This was my first attempt at anything as structural as this. I did part of the floor, the front and rear cab supports, inner and outer rocker, and the kick panel. All on the drivers side. All of this rusted out by me tracking salt and snow in during the winter and having that gunk melt off. After I get new carpet I'm going to install those floor mats that hold water so I can dump future rust making salt and snow solution out and keep my new floor nice.

The passenger side on my truck doesn't see the salty boots so all I needed over there was a new outer rocker. I even re-used the rocker backer.
Attached Images

Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote