The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
Jonce

New 350 HO GM crate engine, have a couple of questions?

I'm new to this site and it's been really helpful so far.

Here's my current setup - 1971 GMC 2WD stepside, 350 CI (engine knocks), and 3 speed on the tree. I ordered a GM 350 HO Turn Key crate engine (Part #12499711) 330 HP/380 Ft Lbs Trq. This comes with a full serpentine setup. From what I have read, this should be a reverse flow water pump. Do I need to change out my current radiator with a newer style radiator? I just want to make sure that I get all the pieces before I start the swap.

I also had a question about the 350 HO Turn Key engine. It lists the flex plate as being a 14" flex plate but looking at the part number (#14088765), this is supposed to be a 12.75" flex plate. Does anyone know for sure what it comes with? Reason for asking, I need to buy a TH350 and torque converter and I wasn't sure if this would effect it.

Can anyone recommend a good street setup for transmissions? I have looked at the TCI Street Fighter at Jegs and Summit but haven't had any experience with that paticular tranny. I'm not looking to race every weekend but I want a reliable setup - please list some recommendations for my new engine.

Thanks guys!
Jonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
Jonce

Re: New 350 HO GM crate engine, have a couple of questions?

Here's a couple pic's of the truck

I still need to upload the most recent pics with the wood bed on, I will try and do that tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
76bonanza

I love those trim rings nice and deep and shiney. Did you buy them if so from were?
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
larry may

I use Neal Chance Converters. Talked directly with Mark Chance. He asked the questions I gave him the answers . He built a converter that I have literally put through the mill and never missed a beat. He said " I'll send you one that you can hammer the PI$$ out of it and it will not fail" Been three years now and so far he has been correct.my .02%.
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
Jonce

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry may
I use Neal Chance Converters. Talked directly with Mark Chance. He asked the questions I gave him the answers . He built a converter that I have literally put through the mill and never missed a beat. He said " I'll send you one that you can hammer the PI$$ out of it and it will not fail" Been three years now and so far he has been correct.my .02%.

Thanks for the tip - I will have to check them out.

76bonanza - My old man restored the truck for me, I believe he bought the trim rings at a swap meet. He found a lot of stuff via swap meets. I just picked up some American Racing Torq Thrust II 17X8's and 17X7's for the truck. That should really make the truck shine.

I have a lot of work coming up on the truck. I ordered a lot of parts (i.e. new grill, eye brows, lights, bumpers, head liner, kick panels, 1"/3" coil drops, tailgate latch, steering box, auto column, etc.). I'm excited to get things rolling. I'm pulling the tired 350 and 3 speed this week and prepping for the new GM crate.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:30 AM   #6
krue
Designated A-hole!

I can't help with your question, but I would like to say that's a sweet truck.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:16 PM   #7
redneckdds

jonce... I recently bought the same engine... I had to get a mini torque starter to fit the flex plate as its the smaller one....I also got a short water pump so the pulleys would line up, etc... not sure about your setup with the radiator...as for me, I just got a stock style radiator. I decided not to go th350 but a 700r4, itll give me overdrive which means better mileage... i hope.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:00 AM   #8
68Stepbed

Check out Gear Star Transmissions. I don't remember the website(google it).
Why not stick a 5-speed in that bad boy? As far as your question about the starter, your paper work should have a part # for a starter. My dad's engine did, and he bought the 350HO Deluxe. If you can't find anything out, let me know and I'll check my dad's paperwork. You could also call Scoggin-Dickey for a part # on the starter. www.sdpc2000.com

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
Jonce

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdds
jonce... I recently bought the same engine... I had to get a mini torque starter to fit the flex plate as its the smaller one....I also got a short water pump so the pulleys would line up, etc... not sure about your setup with the radiator...as for me, I just got a stock style radiator. I decided not to go th350 but a 700r4, itll give me overdrive which means better mileage... i hope.

This should already come with the starter I believe (turn key engine). I think everything will work - I will find out this weekend for sure I ended up ordering a TH350 from Jegs - TCI Street Fighter. I wouldn't mind going with a 700R4 in the future but right now I just want to get it running. This should bolt right up with the new crossmember and the existing drive shaft.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
Jonce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed
Check out Gear Star Transmissions. I don't remember the website(google it).
Why not stick a 5-speed in that bad boy? As far as your question about the starter, your paper work should have a part # for a starter. My dad's engine did, and he bought the 350HO Deluxe. If you can't find anything out, let me know and I'll check my dad's paperwork. You could also call Scoggin-Dickey for a part # on the starter. www.sdpc2000.com

Thanks, I checked out that site - good site with lots of parts.

I pulled the 3 speed out last night. Tonight I will be pulling the engine It should be a fun project - hoping to get it done in 3-4 weeks. I am scheduled for paint at the end of August.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
Putter
More Cowbell....

Looking at the photo above, you must have the ultra-rare "9 cylinder" engine.
Four plugs down each side....and one behind the water pump.

Funny to see only dust on your parts pile.....
my parts are always covered in a protective layer of oil, fluid & grease.

Last edited by Putter; 07-26-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #12
Jonce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putter
Looking at the photo above, you must have the ultra-rare "9 cylinder" engine.
Four plugs down each side....and one behind the water pump.

Funny to see only dust on your parts pile.....
my parts are always covered in a protective layer of oil, fluid & grease.

LOL - 9 cylinder engine - that explains that extra rattle I hear! This truck has been sitting for a couple of years, worked on little by little. It's nice not to deal with rusty bolts - thanks to my Dad!!!