The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
gator2511

Replace the steering column help needed

My steering column in my 72k10 is getting worn and I'm gonna replace it. The PO put a GM tilt column in it but I don't know what year. It uses a 3/4" splined shaft and is is 35 " long not counting the shaft. I'm thinking about a Flaming River Stainless steel unit but it appears to be getting more complicated than I thought. The tech line said my Grant steering wheel might not work and I might need an adapter to extend the splined shaft to hook up to my existing steering. They advertise the column as "made for 67 to 72 trucks", but it looks like there is more to it than just that. Anybody use one of these? What kind of "extra" items did you have to buy to make it work? Comments on your experience would help. Maybe I should just get a stock rebuilt one?
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:35 AM   #2
ThatOneBlue67
I survived Dead Man's Curve.

Re: Replace the steering column help needed

Well,

I, being an ultimate frugal master, bought mine out of a junkyard and rebuilt it. But, a word of advice, I stayed away from tilt column because the "tilt" part deals with a knuckle and very strong spring. Unless you have the tool to disassemble the knuckle, I would not venture into a rebuild involving tilt columns.

As for the chrome ones that I assume you are referring to, if they use stock bolt patterns and dimensions then I don't see why your Grant would not fit. Personally, I would speak with a technical consultant (I assume there is someone from that company you can contact). Otherwise, get a stock column and have it chromed.

The tilt steering column you have now will have come out of a 1970 or newer vehicle. If the ignition switch is in the column, that pretty much says "after 1972".

"The Hurricane"
1967 Chevrolet C10
350 Eight Cylinder, 700R4 BowtieOverdrive

Cherry Bomb... Disturbing the Peace Since 1968.

Last edited by ThatOneBlue67; 08-03-2006 at 02:38 AM.
ThatOneBlue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
gator2511

I bought parts for my present column and patched it up but I'm not happy with the way it works. The key is still in the dash so its an older model. I talked to the tech people at Flaming River and thats when the complications started. I'll have to pull my assembly back up to measure how far the shaft sticks out beyond the 2" column tube. I was hoping someone had been thru this before and could share their knowledge with me. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
gator2511

Nobody using a Flaming River steering column?