The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
rico_vancouver

Newbie looking for input

Well you could also consider me an oldie too... I am about to be transferred ownership of my dad's '68 Chev 3/4 ton Camper Special (327). We've had it since new, but it hasn't seen much action over the last couple of decades. Only the odd trip to Home Depot or to the dump, so lack of use has taken it's toll. No rust to speak of, and the mechanicals are pretty good. It needs some cosmetic TLC and some electrical help.

My brother was the most recent owner, but he's got a new baby boy, and says he doesn't have time to work on it. So I'm going to give it a go. I need to fix the electricals to get it running, then get the engine tweaked to pass our emissions testing here in Vancouver (BC). Then the long road to getting the cosmetics up to snuff to pass our "Collectors status" review so I can insure it for only $20/month.

To that end, to get this cut-rate insurance, you have to keep the vehicle in "as new" condition. i.e. you can't put on a set of low-pro tires on 20" rims or a DVD/TV system in the dash. Not a problem for me, as I like the nostalgia of keeping it relatively original. A couple of quick questions however:
  • Mine has white bumpers, both front and rear step; was chrome a factory option?
  • Same too with front grille surround, as well as the 3-point camper-style mirrors
  • trim - mine has the mouldings that run along the detail along the sides; was this an option? i.e. do I have to put it back on to be original? I've seen many restorations without the mouldings, and I like the clean look
  • wooden bed liner - I've been scouring this forum looking for original equipment lists and options; mine has the wooden bed that needs replacing. Can I just run some decent wood through my table saw and bolt it in, or is it custom fitted somehow?
I don't have any digital pics right now, but will take some and grab the VIN and do some more research. In the meantime, I'm off for a week of fishing, so looking forward to seeing what those more knowledgeable than I have to say.

Thx.

Rich
'68 Chev Camper Special
rico_vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
Canadian694x4
Born To Lose Club

Location: Calgary, Alberta/Oxenden, Ontario, Great White North
Re: Newbie looking for input

First Off Welcome To The Boards!

I'm sure you'll get some answers for those questions from some of the better qualified veteren members. Looking forward to seeing pics of your Truck.
1972 GMC K2500 Custom LWB Fleetside - Proud Owner For 2 Yrs - 1 of 571 Built & Sold In Canada! - 350 V8/SM465/NP205, 4” Rough Country Lift, 33” Interco TSL Thornbirds
2007.5 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD 4x4 - Proud Owner For 15 Yrs
- 6.6L V8 Duramax Diesel/Allison 1000, 2" Lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ's.
2008 Yamaha Raptor 700r - Proud Owner For 13 Yrs - ITP Mud Lites.
2015 John Deere 1025R - Proud Owner For 6 Yrs - 24HP Diesel/H120/54D/260B/SB1154.
Canadian694x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi! You should be able to chrome it out, as I believe it was an option in 68. They came with all sorts of trim options, including none. As far as bed wood goes, I'm sure someone on here can give you the dimensions you need.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
toms68cst

The chrome trim on the front of the 68's is a bit of a mystery. Some very basic 68's came lacking it with only painted grill inserts. Some otherwise basic 68's came with full chrome front grill trim and inserts. Customs and CST equipped trucks always got the full chrome trim treatment on the grill.

Camper mirrors would be a seperate option either dealer-installed or factory-installed.

Chrome side trim was it's own option in 68.

Chrome bumpers (rather than painted) were also a seperate option. A chrome front bumper was also part of the CST package.

A steel bed floor was standard with wood bed floor an option.

Wood kits are available through most of the board vendors.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.

Last edited by toms68cst; 07-28-2006 at 05:23 PM.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
rico_vancouver

Thanks Tom... great info.

Knowing how cheap my dad is, I'm sure he went for the lowest options kit available, so that explains the painted bumpers and grille. I am surprised however, that he went for the wooden bed - although it was probably purchased in my hometown of Kamloops (in the southern interior of BC), and he probably only had a few vehicles to pick from the lot back then.

I'm going back up there this weekend (good fishing for rainbow trout), and will try to find some retro pics from childhood excursions and post them along with current digital pics.

Cheers,

Rich
rico_vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:14 PM   #6
toms68cst

Retro pictures (and current pictures) would be sweet!

Old 07-29-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Wecome to the board fellow Canuck !! You will find all you need to know and learn lots about these trucks of ours here.

I believe GMC Pauls has the specs for the wooden floor you are asking about. You can usually find GMC Pauls advertising on these threads and forums.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #8
rico_vancouver

Thanks for the direction on the wooden bed - a low priority right now, but something on the list.

Here's a pic I found in the archives back home... in Jasper National Park taken probably during the summer of 1970, judging by how old I might be. That's me in the blue shirt, and my brother swinging the axe. Coincidentally, the same brother who has the Chev sitting in his driveway right now.

I'll keep the board posted on my progress, and when I get some time, will put up a new page on my webserver with the photos of how it looks today.

Cheers,
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #9
No3Fan4Ever
Running on empty

Welcome.....nice looking ride.....just remember the Great Wall of China wasn't built in a day, take your time and fix the important mechanical things first...
the cosmetic things can wait..

Now how about some pictures of those Rainbow trout

We have two rules here at the Rock.
Rule #1: No writing on the walls.
Rule#2: Obey all rules

70 GMC Sierra Grande "Custom Camper" Longhorn 402 Big Block TH400 PS PB factory AC Posi;
94 Bronco XLT 302, auto;worn out daily driver

No3Fan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #10
toms68cst

Wow that is a GREAT picture! It looks like it could be right out of a brochure of the day.

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #11
toms68cst

That picture in your avatar, Is that a vintage picture too?

Old 08-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #12
rico_vancouver

Hi Tom - yes, the avatar is the same truck without the camper and minus the step bumper... it was a huge camper, that hung off the back by 4+ feet, so the bumper came off when the camper did.

I'm a catch-and-release trout fisherman, but will see what I can do about the Chinook salmon and the shark pics I caught the previous weekend.

R.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
rico_vancouver

Re: Newbie looking for input - new pics

Well, it is pretty sad what lack of use will do to these old girls. Here's some pics I took this morning:

Not the original step bumper that came with it originally, but a pretty good fit; should pass the collectors' status review

The 327 - untouched; see the spot where the fan cover is broken? One of the fan blades came off, and put a wicked dent in the hood!

Options list - note the 17" split rim option

Front view with the white grille surround and bumper

A little surface rust; caused by the boat rack that used to sit between the canopy and the bed

Interior needs a little work, but not a total disaster; note the convenient garden tool storage as well!

These aren't the original wheels; Pa found some 16.5" rims that fit, and put some cheap radials on to get it down to Vancouver... I'll be outfitting it with the tallest tires I can find

Anyhow, electricals are preventing me from getting it running... looking for any advice on what things to look for on a vehicle that has been sitting for a while. No power, despite new battery, recent distrib. replacement and new carb.

Cheers,
Old 08-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #14
toms68cst

Look at that option sheet. That thing was built for hauling.

Nice truck. It's cool to see another nice original 68 on here.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:16 PM   #15
No3Fan4Ever
Running on empty

Check the battery cables first specifically the ground side even if it looks new;
and you really should get a Haynes or Chilton's manual for sure; also an inexpensive engine anylizer (Sears Craftsman has one for about $30 US) it will come in handy for alot of things

We have two rules here at the Rock.
Rule #1: No writing on the walls.
Rule#2: Obey all rules

70 GMC Sierra Grande "Custom Camper" Longhorn 402 Big Block TH400 PS PB factory AC Posi;
94 Bronco XLT 302, auto;worn out daily driver

No3Fan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #16
dirtball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico_vancouver

I'm a catch-and-release trout fisherman, but will see what I can do about the Chinook salmon and the shark pics I caught the previous weekend.

R.
No Limits, gotta love it. Are you a fly fisherman? That is a nice truck, I like your plan for keeping it original.
Brett
dirtball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #17
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Very nice truck you received. Welcome to the board from the southern end of Mississippi. Slow and easy on the project, because as you hang around here more, you'll find more and more neat things to do or workup on the truck.

Again, congrats on the ride and those are some cool pictures.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:43 AM   #18
rico_vancouver

Re: Newbie looking for fish

Brett,

I'm a fly-fisherman in the trout lakes, but out in the ocean, you're kinda at the mercy of the guide. Our guide liked to troll a plug at ~2.5 knots... we were successful - fish on about every 15 mins with double headers often. As requested, here's a pic of the derby winning Chinook from the Queen Charlottes:

It's only 37 lbs, which is pretty small for a derby winner - they normally weigh in ~55 lbs. at the top end.

This is a small (~90 lbs... you have to gut it out on the boat, as they piss out through their skin once they are brought aboard) salmon shark that we caught on 40 lb. test salmon gear - normally they run around 10 ft. long, and snap the line quickly, but this one had the plug jammed in his jaws so he couldn't saw through the line. They are also known as coldwater Makos (closest relative to a Great White apparently). Fun... guides kept him, as they apparently taste like swordfish!

Cheers,