The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done?

Another week of work for me. I was on call this weekend so I didn't get a chance to do anything on my 77. I manged to endure the heat long enough to get my daily drivers washed but that's about it.

I finally finished the article on my Ramjet install this morning. Take a look and see what ya think. Link inside

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
C&C Chevy

Re: What did you get done?

Sat. just too hot outside to do anything...

Sun. worked, still too hot outside...

Great read on your engine change! Thanks.

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007

Last edited by C&C Chevy; 08-06-2006 at 08:45 PM.
C&C Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
SCOTI

Fri night I consumed a few beers w/some old friends I haven't seen in years. Saturday was a slow start but I managed to swing by my buddies place to check on the progress of their latest early GM project. It's going to be one sweet ride!

I left there to hit another buddies shop to replace the power window motor on the GF's TransAm. Once that was done, we painted all the SBC tin for his engine swap. He did everything in a GM orange but we cleared it w/a satin finish clear for a cheap 'custom' look.

Today I was going to get out for some wrenching on the 68 & as I was changing clothes I heard a sound that was strangely unfamiliar..... I think some people call it thunder. Yep, one look outside & I couldn't believe what my eyes were observing: it was about to start raining! So no work on the 68 after all..... maybe next week after we get the engine back in my buddies camino I'll get something done.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #4
Draggin79

Sat. me and my dad made a custom tranny x-member for the 700r4. Sun. cleaned up the shop a bit, then layed around being lazy.
Draggin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
Kurt L

well i spent saturday changeing oil,greaseing my 91 then put carpet in it.today i just messed around,then i washed my 91.thats bout it for me,pretty busy week end.
Kurt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:40 PM   #6
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

Friday was very eventful for me. A customer had a fire in there restaraunt which was very stressful. Saturday I got up early and got the steering column mounted in the 92. Spent the rest of the day at the Street Rod Nationals. Later that night had dinner with the wife. Got up early again today and took the truck down to BG Kentucky to have custom headers and exhaust fabbed up. Spent the rest of the day cleaning the garage while it is empty. Should see the truck back in a bout 1 week or so.
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #7
bagged74
its just $$$$$

Took a break from working on the truck. The wife and I drove up to Norman for Slamboree. It was a good show, but I think it was a bit smaller this year(maybe because of the heat?) The cruise on saturday night was cool, we had a good time.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:13 AM   #8
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

SCOTI- Why didn't you send some of that rain up here? We could use it

Friday- I picked up a fuel filter, pump, and line for the blazer. It looked like it was really old and the previous owner didn't have a filter installed. I came back home and blew out the lines to the carb and to the tank. Made a big mess forgetting to open the gas cap and block off the return fuel line.

Saturday- I worked and came home. A couple buddies were coming up from McKinney to swap some parts and BS. They came up and I was getting some window regulators for my truck. I'll post more about the score in a different post. While they were here I showed them the blazer and I'd been stumped on why it wouldn't start. The starter sounded like it kept kicking back even with shims, new starter, and a new flexplate. Well long story short the torque converter bolts were the wrong ones (I reused the same ones from the PO), and the timing was WAY OFF. I had set it to TDC but the we got it to fire off a couple times. Once it was running it was a little loud with some minor issues like vacuum leak, timing off etc. Biggest thing they found was the timing chain was shot. So this week I'll be working on changing it out. This was making the engine jump time and cause the starter to kick back. The whole time was thinking it was the starter not getting shimmed right.

Sunday- I worked all day and into the night.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
tgh117
Crazy

Saturday I went to the carisle all truck nationals and got sun burned all over the back of myself from sitting and watching the rock crawlers for 2 hours. Didn't get much in the way of parts, almost bought an AC/power everything cab to replace the non ac, non power cab on my truck, but he wanted 950, and I didn't want to pay that much. I managed to grab some vent visors for teh wifes jeep for 10 bucks, and new diff covers to replace the twisted up ones on my truck. Other then that, took it pretty easy. I did manage to take 250 pictures or so, most chevy's so I will post them to my webshots later tonight. All in all it was a good show and a good weekend.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Friday - Had an alignment and tire balance done on the Daily Driver (87 R10)
Saturday - Started on the wobble tilt steering fix
Sunday - completed the Tilt fix. I took a TON of pics (about 100) so I am going to make an article on it for my site.

During the time working on the tilt I discovered one reason why the Cruise wasn't working (all the wires in the stalk were broken off as someone has already pulled the column apart), and I found out why the key-in buzzer didn't work - the spring was missing. Replace the stalk while I had it apart, but couldn't get the buzzer switch spring.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Over the span of a few days, I changed out the oil, filter and plugs. I rotated the tires as well. Then I decided to do the wax on - wax off thing.. twice. This time I decided to use a one-step hand compound instead of the three-step Meguiars with the electric polisher. I took the truck in to get an emissions inspection. While I was there, I ended up talking to a few of the mechanics about modding the truck and the engine. One of the mechanics is planning to bag his Caprice. I found out the city is doing away with the emission inspection next year. I guess as long as the city's air passes the EPA restrictions, the city will not require an emissions inspection. I spent most of the weekend working with my cousins at the Festival grilling corn. Although it was hot working in the booth and next to the grille, when it was all said and done, we had grilled over 1,400 ears of corn. The corn was donated, so they turned a nice profit for the 'cause'. The corn was great as well as all the other food and activities.

Slon- I saw your updated pic in an old WDYGD post, and it looks good in that shot.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...

Last edited by boxrodz; 08-07-2006 at 02:41 PM.
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #12
EJC78
No Life Like Low Life

I got more parts in for my Impala. I've been spending a lot of time on the car and not enough on the Truck. I converted the old power steering to the 605 conversion. I also installed a Be Cool radiator, Hotchkis rear trailing arms upper and lower, Hotchkis sway bars front and rear. This week I should be able to complete the brake upgrade, and mount the new Coddingtons
1965 Buick Riviera GS
2011 GMC Sierra Denali
EJC78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #13
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
Slon- I saw your updated pic in an old WDYGD post, and it looks good in that shot.
Thanks. It looks like a longbed in that shot, but it came out better than the others I took. I think it was the lens on my wife's camera. I need to clean up and resize the rest and put them on my website.

BTW, I LOVE grilled corn...

Slonaker
Old 08-09-2006, 09:57 AM   #14
Moostifer
a fool with no money

i know I'm late, but I had to download a few pics...

friday I drove the truck to work (10 miles), only to have the Barry Grant 220 fuel pump die on me. So, Saturday morning i'm off to my buddy's perfomance shop to get a new fuel pump. He had a Mallory Pro Comp 250 that had been sitting on the shelf for a while and gave me a good deal on it. called another buddy that works at Harwood, stopped by and picked up a new 4" cowl lift-off hood.

before, during and still during
http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/moostifer/truck/

http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/moostifer/motor/
Moostifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:58 PM   #15
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Long time no post.

I officially sold my truck this past week and purchased a 2006 Malibu Maxx LT. Having a wife and two children, I need a family vehicle. It's not the 2006 Silverado extended cab LT3 w/ Vortec Max Power Package I originally went in for but it's a set of wheels. I was about to sign the papers for the Silverado but when I called to obtain an insurance policy.....My driving record w/ 6-points bit me in the ass. I'm paying $680 a month just for a Malibu.

Other than that, I just enjoyed the 70* Alaska weather.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #16
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

what's with ya'll complaining about this heat? I traced some of the wiring and plumbing for my tank to find problems, my friend (with the 84) and I just installed 2 CB's with custom external speakers, galavanted around town, rode my go-cart, and I replaced a speaker in my mom's car (02 F-bird). All in 3 days, with very little shade.

Now I have school tomrrow, which is a catch-22. Less time to work, but i might get stuff done in metal fab...i hope.
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote