The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
shelby987

eaton disc swap kit? Will this work?

I have heard about a lot of people on here converting their eaton rears to disc brakes using 14bolt caliper brackets, front rotors, and front calipers. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this kit will work for an eaton, or if I have to piece it all together.
Also, it looks like I lose my parking brake with this kit, I know there has been discussions about this before, and I hear bad things about the cadillac calipers, has anyone come up with a practical solution?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._promot_widget
1993 Olds. Cutlass Ciera Wagon Traded 2006
2003 Saturn L200 w/5pd. D/D
My list spans 5 decades with One common thread.....GM!
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
71K-20

Re: eaton disc swap kit? Will this work?

I have a 1971 3/4 ton 4x4 with the Eaton HO72 rear, when I needed rear brakes I took it to a local shop, they told me I needed drums and that they were no longer avaliable and I should start looking for a 14 bolt rear end. I thought no way this Eaton is build like a brick s--- house and its in great shape, its going to stay. I looked around a little and decided to try the kit from Blackbirds Custom Trucks in Spokane. It was sold as a two hour swap with no problems, but that is not what we got. There were issues with the pads that were supplied, and there were hours fabbing up the e-brake mounting hardware, so it aint no two hour swap but let me say this. My 71 has kickass rear disc brakes that work like a charm with no mods to the master cylinder or booster, braking is much better than with drums with NO ISSUES, and I have a parking brake that works every bit as well if not better than with the drums. To close I would say this, don't buy the Blackbird kit thinking you will bolt it on and be down the road by noon, my shop had to mill .050 off the pads to make them go over the discs, (they did not want to shave the rotors) I have seen some posts where guys had new rear discs get hot, maybe this is why? mine stay cool, would I do it again, you bet! It is fun showing this setup to guys who appreciate these rigs, my shop did a really clean job of installing my kit, just wish I knew how to post a digital picture, then I would show you.
Orcas Island, Washington
71K-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:25 PM   #3
wibilly

i just bought brackets off ebay i think they were from greatlakes 4x4. the brackets were nice but the spacers sucked, they were not cut square or even close. i got no response when i emailed them to get correct mesurements so i could make my own. i used them to check for fitment but still have to make new i used turned used front roters and new loaded caddy callipers.i also feel that the pads fit a littlel to tight and will need to be shaved this truck still needs to be assembeled so they have not been used yet but i feel i still need to address the spacer isue and mill the pads too if they still fit to tight. i am confident that it won't be to tough to make them work fineat this point i have $275invested a don't think it will cost any thing to make it just right. if i were to do it again i think i would just use all front break parts.i would modify the front brackets and weld them on using new loaded front calipers and roters with small shims and breaks applied to align the brackets while i welded them in place and fab a driveline parking break on the rear of the tranny or fronf of the diff. it could be done this way for around $100 by somone with a few fabricating skills
Old 08-18-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
Steelawork'n
Just hang'n around

Here is a link with pictures and references:
http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/tsm/