The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2002, 07:55 AM   #1
72ChevyCheyenne

Front Coil Question

I get my frame back from the powder coater next week. Since there is no weight from the body and motor, how do you compress the spring in the control arms to get the ball joint into the spindle?
Restoration in progress
Currently: frame sand blasted and powdercoated, Inline Tube brake and fuel lines, Blazer tank in rear, Holley Red electronic fuel pump, Eaton posi with 3.42 gears, 2 1/2" drop front spindles, 4" drop rear springs with adjustable panhard bar, KYB shocks, ZZ 502/502 GM Performance crate engine, Zoops brackets and pulleys, Vintage Air, dual electric fans, Ram Air II hood and late model sport side bed.
72ChevyCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 09:14 AM   #2
dubie

You use a C clamp spring compressor to compress them down and fit them into place, then let off the tension. Very similar to installing struts on a newer car or truck.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 09:22 AM   #3
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I used a 2.5" drop spindle and a 1.5" drop spring, so it may make all of this different. Here is how I did it.

1. Put the lower control arm cross shafts in the lower A-Arms.
2. Mount the A-Arms to the front cross member and torque u-bolts.
3. Put the upper control arm cross shafts in the upper A-Arms.
4. Assuming new ball joints are in place put you spindle on the lower control arm and torque (120 ft lbs).
5. I put the new little rubber bump stop on next because it is easy to get to now.
6. Place spring in lower arm (I have a floor jack under a-arm at this point)
7. Put upper arm on (don't tighten) but put nuts on
8. Raise lower arm with floor jack (my frame tries to come up off of jack stands because it has no weight on it. So, I sat on the frame while jacking it up.
9. Slip upper ball joint into spindle and while sitting on the frame put the nut on the ball joint.
10. Make sure the spring is properly aligned before tightening all nuts.
11. Next it grease, cotter keys and any other loose ends.

I can get pictures if that will help, but it will be tonight before I can do so.

It would be easier to have a friend sit on the frame while you jack, just be real careful as you will find the powder coating is liked greased snot! It is very slippery and with a rag between the jack and a-arm it can jump off. I finally put my jack on the ball joint with no zerk to keep it from slipping.

Take you time and you will get it. Also, I believe Early Classic Ent has some step by step stuff on their web site. Or call them and they will fax you how to install new springs and spindles.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 12:04 PM   #4
COBALT

I recomend weighing it down with something like sand bags, or some free weights from that exercise equipment you don't use any more. Put it all on the cross member using a rubber mat or something.

71 Stepside: how much do you weigh for cryin' out loud?

Even with my truck still together I had to fit some wood blocks under the rockers to keep the truck from tipping over. Since I'm not going to drop spindles I still have the original drum brake spindles. The lower control arm and ball joint does not want to seat very well, and the spindle/drum brake assembly is HEAVY. I worked myself to death trying to get that lower stud into the spindle.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 12:16 PM   #5
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

LOL at Cobalt.....I am tipping the scales at 190! About 15 over where I should be I guess.

Anyway, it wasn't a big deal for me to get the thing back together...of course I have only done one side....I am waiting for my new A-Arm to be coated for the other side.

I think the 1.5" drop spring makes a big difference. A full lenght spring would suck to squeeze in there.

Anyway, if I have trouble my neighbor looks to be about 260. I'll get him to come over and hold it down! LOL
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote