The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
QKENUF4U

Question prostreet brake drum dilema update.........

ok after seeing that the 70 1/2 ton trucks have SMOOTH BRAKE DRUMS i bought a set today (was able to measure them to make sure they will fit inside my rims THEY DO PERFECTLY !!! ) but now ive run into another snag, they are 6 bolt which isnt the problem, i can redrill them without a problem.
the problem is the center hole is bigger on the 6-bolt drum than it is on my 5-bolt drum (where it sits on the center of the axle to center it up)
would it hurt anything to just let the studs be the centering devices for the drum ?
i know they will prob. round out a bit but would it be that quick or would it take a long time ?? (the truck gets driven very little, other than when it rains)
man im so close. i could be driving my pro-street truck this weekend if this will work.
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 AM   #2
QKENUF4U

Re: prostreet brake drum dilema update.........

ttt
Old 08-16-2006, 07:33 AM   #3
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

well i am not expert but do have a few thoughts..
that center hud does center the drum, if you use these drums and drill the holes.
while putting the wheels on ,i would have someone apply the brakes and then tighten the wheels. hoping this will put the drums where they need to be, before the wheels hold the drum where it can't move. This should help in smooth braking..
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
Luvlegs

being absolutely no expert in that area myself, how about making a centering ring - like taking (cutting) the center out of the wheels that do fit - putting them on the wheel - bolt the new wheel on loosely - and mark the old one so you know where to cut it. Just a thought...

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Have you talked with any machine shops about cutting the fins down on the 5 lug drums? This is what I was told by a couple wheel manufacturers , when setting up 15x10's (6 1/2" bs). The stock drums would not fit the wheel, so i got a new set to have machined, as I couldnt see wasting the cash on old pcs. Well, the aftermarket drums fit my app.....& would fit to 8" BS with no problems! Im not sure on your spacing, but the machining on the 2 drums was quoeted @ around $70 in my area. best of luck..... L
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
QKENUF4U

Thumbs down Re: prostreet brake drum dilema update.........

they would have to take ALOT off my stock 5 bolt drums to fit inside my rims (12 1/2" inside drums) the stock drums are almost 14" across the backside. if would pretty much remove the entire rear lip of the drum.
i guess the cost might be worth it since the centering hole on the 6bolt drums is to big but i figure i would do like ragenrat said. guess we will find out if this will work or not by this weekend hopefully.
i am gonna draw up a plan for two centering rings so that i can use these drums without to much worry. just have to get them on and measure away.
WISH ME LUCK !!!
thanks for your feedback guys

Last edited by QKENUF4U; 08-16-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:53 PM   #7
junkyardjohn

I've Built A Couple Of Pro-street Cars & Trucks, & Believe Me When I Say When Your Going 140mph The Last Thing You Want On Your Mind Is If The Stuff That You've "rigged" On Your Truck Is Going To Fail Or Not. **** Happens Real Fast At 140 Mph. Safety Issues Are Not The Place To Cut Corners, & Try To Save A Few Bucks On. John
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:52 AM   #8
QKENUF4U

well them guess youll be glad to hear this truck will never see 140mph or 80mph for that matter. it gets driven very little and not very fast. (thats what the bikes for )
but anyways, i got the drums drilled tonight and from what i can tell they are about perfect. i have a TINY bit of shake when coming down from a HARD stop at 50+mph but that could also be my unbalanced tires (thats all gonna change in the next couple weeks)
so as far as i can see i should have my rims/tires on this week and actually be able to use the truck in pro-street form.
thanks for your help guys.
later
lance

Last edited by QKENUF4U; 08-17-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:12 AM   #9
71Dragtruck

Don't forget to post up some pics.
Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #10
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U
well them guess youll be glad to hear this truck will never see 140mph or 80mph for that matter. it gets driven very little and not very fast. (thats what the bikes for )
but anyways, i got the drums drilled tonight and from what i can tell they are about perfect. i have a TINY bit of shake when coming down from a HARD stop at 50+mph but that could also be my unbalanced tires (thats all gonna change in the next couple weeks)
so as far as i can see i should have my rims/tires on this week and actually be able to use the truck in pro-street form.
thanks for your help guys.
later
lance
DON'T TAKE OFFENCE (OLD GUY HERE) BUT YOU SOUND LIKE ONE OF MY KIDS. (THEY ARE ALL GROWN). IN 35 YEARS OF DRIVING, I'VE OPENED UP EVERY VEHICAL, BE IT A CAR, TRUCK, MOTORCYCLE, DUNEBUGGY OR WHATEVER, TO SEE JUST HOW FAST THEY WOULD GO. A PRO-STREET TRUCK THAT WILL NEVER SEE 80 MPH. ??? SAVE THAT B.S. FOR SOMEONE WHO WILL BELIEVE IT. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #11
QKENUF4U

at 6-12 miles per gallon and 3$ a gallon it dont get driven hard or all that often. i really only use it for the days its likely to rain (about 10days out of the year here) and when i may need to haul something from lowes/home depot etc. we have my finaces firebird for trips etc.
but your right it may see 80mph every so often if i need to go to the other side of town and use the highways. other than that its gonna be just for cruising around. lol
oh and you sound like my dad.

Last edited by QKENUF4U; 08-17-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #12
ND_guy
Tool Addiction=Money Shortage

Scap the Pro street idea.... Go Pro touring
Just buy a $65,000 2006 Z06 vette and steal the 14 inch disks and 6 piston calipers and give me the 500 horse Alum SBC and 6 speed
ND_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:01 PM   #13
QKENUF4U

Thumbs down Re: prostreet brake drum dilema update.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_guy
Scap the Pro street idea.... Go Pro touring
Just buy a $65,000 2006 Z06 vette and steal the 14 inch disks and 6 piston calipers and give me the 500 horse Alum SBC and 6 speed
scrap the whole old truck idea is more like it i would have already paid off 2/3 of a new chevy 2wd (plain jane but thats fine by me) and already had nice paint,good sheet metal,new engine,new interior, WARRENTY etc.etc.
i said i would never do this again after my 68 camaro but here i am.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #14
Robznob11

got my old break book out all buick, olds, and caddys had 5 on 5 11x2 drums on ther late 60 and early 70 cars thought you might want to know.. i can get you part #s if youd like....
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:57 AM   #15
QKENUF4U

Thumbs up Re: prostreet brake drum dilema update.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11
got my old break book out all buick, olds, and caddys had 5 on 5 11x2 drums on ther late 60 and early 70 cars thought you might want to know.. i can get you part #s if youd like....
oh man, where were you 3 days ago. let me know the part #'s/years etc. anyways cause i may have to go that route after i get the wheels/tires on and see how the re-drilled 6-bolt drums act under braking.
thanks
lance
zane_28@hotmail.com is my email

Last edited by QKENUF4U; 08-19-2006 at 01:58 AM.