The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
CMars45000

Pulling dents in real sheetmetal??

I finally got around the other day to finding and identifying all the dents and creases in my 71 SWB the need to be addressed. I have a stud welder and slid-hammer setup. But I think I may need something a little beefier.

Are the 2.0mm stud that my stud welder is setup for going to be enough to pull the dents out in areas like the tailgate and stuff? I have nver used the stud gun on anything but newer vehicle that have THIN sheet metal.

I would like to avoid drilling holes for a srew-type slide hammer...

Any ideas gang...?

Thanks

Vehicles/Projects:

-1971 C10 SWB Fleetside! Gathering parts now, will begin frame-off resto soon...

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
-Aristotle
CMars45000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Rokcrln

Re: Pulling dents in real sheetmetal??

The tail gate is a tough one! If you can get to any of the areas then use a hammer and dolly. If not then try the stud gun. You may need to put your studs 1/2" apart on bad dents and give each one a slide and go to th enext and so on. Do not try and take it out in one hit, use mutiple soft hits to raise larger areas. Also look at the dent and see if you can tell how it happened and try to pull it out in the reverse order. Metal has memory and it can help in removing dents.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
Sweet72

Dang Kevin, that cab looks like it tangled with a porcupine! I really enjoy your pics, like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Dude that cab is beat up with dents.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:54 AM   #5
crusher311

hay man even if you cant get them out it is better then my cab i had a drill hole in the top water got in and froze and it coused my roof to seperat from the cab in the front passanger corner it raised about half an inch at the joint i cant figuer out how to fix it should i fill it in or should i fix it proper it is not easy to see unless you are looking from the rear over the top like from a secound story window
crusher311 is offline   Reply With Quote