The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
jasonrmorrow

Shorty Headers, Bagged truck, Exhaust ??

Ok i searched and searched, got a few good pics, i got my Hooker "most chevy car" shorty headers at the ceramic coaters right now...ditching the full length headers/xpipe/front of axle dumps

I think the best/only option to get the exhaust higher than it is now, is to run it straight back close to the frame rails and cut some holes in the crossmember, no h pipe, and dump them down and out immediatly after the crossmember to avoid the trailing arms. I have offset in/offset out flowmasters that i want to keep, and the pic below has the mufflers in a spot where that would work well. They actually look like center in/offset out. I don't really want to have to buy new mufflers, so many extra costs after the frickin airbags.

or is it possible to kick it outside the frame rail easily, the only way i see it possible is to bring it UNDER the frame which would make it just as big a problem as it is now. I don't think a 3" hole in the frame rail would be good.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:23 AM   #2
gostranger
65 suburban vortec 5.3 bagged

Re: Shorty Headers, Bagged truck, Exhaust ??

i was thinking about cutting a hole through the frame and slipping a short piece of pipe into the hole and welding it to make the void stronger i have the same issues as you doing bags got to keep the exaust tucked!
gostranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
fletch4x4

I was thinking of cutting a hole in the frame, then boxing that section with a piece of pipe going through it. Seems like that would be strong enough
Old 08-21-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
jasonrmorrow

The only way i'd be happy with cutting a hole is if i welded the pipe back in on an angle, arond 45* so that i don't have to turn the pipe 90* to go straight out towards the body, not a good design, but again, i don't feel like cutting two holes in the frame and routing all the hoses and wires around it, straight back and through the crossmember will work for me. I'll get pics.

Thanks for the input
Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
Chevyboy1962
C10 now is a GMC

I ran the whole exhuast pipe setup on the outside of the frame rails, they're tucked up under the cab's floor boards, same with the rest of the system, nothing will touch it even if the truck layed frame.

Then again, my frame is more complicated than the '63-'72 frames, so that was the only way the true dual exhaust could have been routed.
David

*1963 C10 lwb fleetside, small window 230/4 speed...Blvd Cruiser

*1931 Ford 5 window coupe (soon to be Hot Rod)... Father & Son project
Chevyboy1962 is offline   Reply With Quote