The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
NWVintageAgParts

Diesel 67-72 pickups? are there any?

Hey everyone. I am curious whether there was any factory diesel GMC or Chevrolet pickups. I have heard rumors that there were some fitted with either 3-71's or 4-53 Detroit engines. I know GMC had the V-6 Toro Flow diesels. If anyone knows about these I would love to hear about them and see pix if possible.

My goal someday is to put a 12 valve Cummins in a 69-72 4x4 suburban using the engine and drive train from a 92-93 Dodge pickup. That way i get heavy suspension, Dana 60 front end, 70 rear end with 3.55 gears and all the needed components for the engine conversion, ie radiator, ac stuff, wiring. I think it would be a pretty easy thing to do, just taking time and money.

Thanks for any info.

Jake
NWVintageAgParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Re: Diesel 67-72 pickups? are there any?

Duck, this generally opens up a can of worms. There have been people shot in pistols-at-50-paces kinds of duals around here over what the best diesel is, and whether or not you should put one in a 67-72...

Its been done, though. You might try running a search for the word "diesel." Search function is 3rd button from the right at top of page.

BTW, welcome to the board!!

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #3
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Welcome to the board Jake! I lived in Monmouth while I was going to school- I love it down there!

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
Joe67
67 is sold

There were at least two conversions at Carlisle this year - very nice

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

On your original question about factory light truck diesels.I think there were.In the thousands of trucks I`ve seen in two centuries(a bit of an exaggeration),I`ve never seen or known of one.But,in the 46-72 Series 10-30 parts book there are parts listed for truck w/diesel.There were propane trucks offered for a fact.I`ve never seen one of those,either.
I`ve been invvolved in the defense of 6.2/6.5 GM diesels when they`ve been called boat anchors,since I`ve gotten alot of trouble-free use for nearly 20 years out of them(no exaggeration).Although "I" believe the Cummins I-6 is hands-down the best light truck diesel out there,I have argued that it`s not the "easiest" to convert.I read the text and answer according to what the question is.The arguement has often been when someone asks what`s the "easiest" diesel conversion to perform and the replies answer what is the ultimate "best" conversion.Not always the objective for some.When it comes to simply try to save monwy on fuel,saving money on achieving that goal is important,that`s all.Someday,you "will" see me driving a Cummins-poqwered vintage GM.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #6
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
On your original question about factory light truck diesels.I think there were.In the thousands of trucks I`ve seen in two centuries(a bit of an exaggeration),I`ve never seen or known of one.But,in the 46-72 Series 10-30 parts book there are parts listed for truck w/diesel.There were propane trucks offered for a fact.I`ve never seen one of those,either.
I`ve been invvolved in the defense of 6.2/6.5 GM diesels when they`ve been called boat anchors,since I`ve gotten alot of trouble-free use for nearly 20 years out of them(no exaggeration).Although "I" believe the Cummins I-6 is hands-down the best light truck diesel out there,I have argued that it`s not the "easiest" to convert.I read the text and answer according to what the question is.The arguement has often been when someone asks what`s the "easiest" diesel conversion to perform and the replies answer what is the ultimate "best" conversion.Not always the objective for some.When it comes to simply try to save monwy on fuel,saving money on achieving that goal is important,that`s all.Someday,you "will" see me driving a Cummins-poqwered vintage GM.
Hey Special-K.....72Freak here....the unfortunate founder of the "BOAT ANCHOR" saying......Its funny this came up today.....I drug home a 6.2 4x4 Blazer today. This is the second 6.2 I have brought home with the starter mounting tab/tabs (bolt holes)broken off or cracked. The last one we did some creative welding that held 6 months. Have you run into this? Other than removal or welding attemps.....what can be done?
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

See...no enemies here.It`s all good.
That`s a tough one.I haven`t run into that one.I know they need(all diesels)torquey starters to turn the compression.It`s prolly hard to beef-up there and welding is near impossible on oily old cast(and,engine in truck over your head).I`m thinking a brace to the frame,but it would need to flex.I`ll check around.I`m not registered on www.thedieselpage.com anymore,so I can`t post the question.But,maybe a search will pull it up.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-21-2006, 09:08 AM   #8
TP from Cntl PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWVintageAgParts View Post
Hey everyone. I am curious whether there was any factory diesel GMC or Chevrolet pickups. I have heard rumors that there were some fitted with either 3-71's or 4-53 Detroit engines. I know GMC had the V-6 Toro Flow diesels. If anyone knows about these I would love to hear about them and see pix if possible.
An old retired guy lived across the road from the one farm we rented, he sold cars/trucks to nearly everyone in the valley as he was the head saleman for the (Then) largest GM dealer in the area. My grandfather bought all his Demo's as my grandfather knew him a long time and he also worked at this dealer part-time running the wrecker..............Anyhow, us boys also got along well with him and he'd come over any time we were at that farm. He always laughed that he sold my grandfather a new maroon C-10 SWB with a 350/auto that had just about every option you could get..........And here years later, the grandsons were still running the same trucks(Although that C-10 left years ago). He told me a few times once he found out I was putting a Cummins in mine that GM had a few diesel running around in valley that he sold in '72...........Being my stupid self I didn't ask any questions always putting it off to tomorrow, because old Howard will be over............Sadly, he past away and I never did find out exactly what they were.............

May have been Detroits, because they(Especially the 283 6-71's) have a huge following..........But I imagine it was 350 Diesels in the early stages. Way he talked they were factory(Well they came from there anyhow), and if they put it in at the dealer I am sure my grandfather would have remembered it.

I miss Howard, I was looking forward to getting him into my C-20 with the Cummins..........I know he'd have said this is how GM should have got into the light truck/diesel scene. He passed away and I didn't have it running yet

Biggest problem I ran(still running into ) is getting the GM driveline to hold up.......I had a adapter on my engine so I could run everything GM from the flywheel back to save some $$$...........Well, I did save when I put it together, but after tearing everything up it seems from there back two or four times, I didn't spend any more money, but I get tired of swaping parts Haven't blown the Eaton yet, but I am waiting.................I am going to put a ZF-6HD in it, biggest driveshaft/u-joints I can make fit, and I may put a heavier axle in while I am at it. Wish I could run a SAE type bell housing and HD clutch......

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #9
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I have never seen a 67-72 with a factory diesel, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Go to the second truck on this page. http://www.6066gmcguy.org/V6powered.htm

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #10
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
See...no enemies here.It`s all good.
That`s a tough one.I haven`t run into that one.I know they need(all diesels)torquey starters to turn the compression.It`s prolly hard to beef-up there and welding is near impossible on oily old cast(and,engine in truck over your head).I`m thinking a brace to the frame,but it would need to flex.I`ll check around.I`m not registered on www.thedieselpage.com anymore,so I can`t post the question.But,maybe a search will pull it up.
Thanks........I have seen it more than a handfull of times and it normally turns into an engine swap. As mentioned above we welded one before...and I have seen it done that way a few times but it normally only lasts a short time. We of course bought a new starter when we did it. I have also seen short studds welded in place of the broken/cracked holes. Like you said...it takes a lot of torque to crank those diesels and a welded starter just wont hold up.
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
TP from Cntl PA

Did GM do like alot of farm equipment makers did back in the '60's and 70's............They'd take a tractor for example, off the line.........Move it to a special department and by hand, install a different engine(Not radically different, small stuff like bigger injection pumps and increased bores and stokes.........larger turbo's etc....... They'd then truck it to a larger dealer and let the dealer place it with a good customer to use and they'd track the progress. After a period dealer would get it back and truck it back to the company and they'd inspect it..........Notes were taken and it was either put back the way it was tested or put back to stock........Then sold again. IH didn't do much of this as they had their own test farm like Deere, but I know alot of storys about Oliver(Later White) doing such things. GM do testing on its own grounds? Or elsewhere like this?

When old Howard told me this, he mentioned the railroads.........Don't know if they bought them, or were doing such a test? Such a thing sound logical?

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:24 AM   #12
Bob B.

I have heard that a small number of GMC prototypes were built in '67 and '68 with the Toroflow V-6. I doubt any of these were ever sold to the public, but since the Toroflow was based on the GMC V-6, some swaps were done. The '67 and '68 shop manuals and parts books have listings for diesels in light trucks, but these were Detroit 3-53's that were RPO's in P-2500 and P-3500 Step Van chassis. For the record, Dodge built a few 3/4 ton pickups with Perkins diesels in the mid-60's. The Perkins was a special order option primarily for export, but it seems that a few were sold here.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:13 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

I remember the n/a Perkins being a flash-in-the-pan in the late`70s,around`78 or`79 I believe.It was about the same time GM started their 350 diesels.

Tim

Old 08-22-2006, 06:57 PM   #14
Bob B.

Actually, the diesel that Dodge offered in '78 and '79 in the pickups was a Mitsubishi. 6 cylinder, no turbo. Very durable, but only something like 120 h.p..