The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
pat

Smoke coming out of my steering column

Not a good day. I drove my truck from the shop up to the house, went in and ate. Then I came back out and tried to start it and nothing happened. All gauges and other electrical stuff was fine but the engine wasnt turning over at all, no starter. Then I noticed a smell and smoke was coming out of the bottom of the steering column right where the wires go into the bigger part. I tried to start it with a screwdriver on the starter and that made the starter lock on so I had to jump underneath and cut the wire to the starter to stop it.
Any ideas? Ive gotta get this fixed soon so it can get painted next week.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
Mudder

Re: Smoke coming out of my steering column

Sounds maybe like something has shorted down around neutral safety switch.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:55 AM   #3
junkyardjohn

NOW I'M NOT MUCH OF AN ELECTRCIAN (BUT I DON'T LET THAT STOP ME ) BUT I A'M JUST A LITTLE MECHANICAL SO.. I TRY. USSUALLY WHEN I LET THE [B]SMOKE OUT OF THE WIRES[B] WEATHER IT IS SOMETHING I DID OR THE TRUCK DID IT ON IT'S OWN,..... IT'S A BAD BAD THING. THEY MUST PUT THAT SMOKE IN THERE AT THE FACTORY & BELIEVE ME... THAT SMOKE IS MEANT TO STAY IN THERE. THE GOOD NEWS IS A TURN SIGNAL SWITH WILL REPLACE ALL OF YOUR WIRING IN YOUR COLLUMN, & EVEN I CAN REPLACE ONE IN 15 OR 20 MINUTES. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:14 AM   #4
Mudder

True JYJ and neutral safety is on the outside of the column not that I think of it. The not starting has got me puzzled tho.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
crusher311

i would check the safty switch but alsothe key side of the ign as if you shorted on that side it can cause that i had it happen to my dads 72 ford the ign shorted where all the wires go to threw the fire wall and it made the hole syst run odd it ruined his safty switch twice and we had to rebuild his starter
once untill we found the problem and it was luck that we found it a broken strand cut him as he was readhing for a tool i was handing down to him
crusher311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:37 AM   #6
junkyardjohn

Yah Common Sense Says One Shouldn't Anything To Do With The Other , & Believe Me.. I'm No Electrician & I Sure Couldn't Explain How Most Electrical Stuff Works. I'd Start With The Turn Signal Switch Though... You Know It's A Smoker... Gotta Go. I'm Sure Someone On Here Can Explain It In Some Eletrical Lingo That I Still Won't Uderstand. Oh-well Any Automotive Electricians Out There???? John
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I have an extra wire coming from my 4spd tilt that needs to be hooked to the brake light switch or no ignition.With it hooked up to switch it starts,unless I depress the brake pedal,then nothing.No smoke or smells,and it`s been this way for over a year.I`m baffled,but wtf?
Not trying to hijack,maybe just give perspective(???).

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #8
Big Block
Big Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjohn View Post
NOW I'M NOT MUCH OF AN ELECTRCIAN (BUT I DON'T LET THAT STOP ME ) BUT I A'M JUST A LITTLE MECHANICAL SO.. I TRY. USSUALLY WHEN I LET THE [B]SMOKE OUT OF THE WIRES[B] WEATHER IT IS SOMETHING I DID OR THE TRUCK DID IT ON IT'S OWN,..... IT'S A BAD BAD THING. THEY MUST PUT THAT SMOKE IN THERE AT THE FACTORY & BELIEVE ME... THAT SMOKE IS MEANT TO STAY IN THERE. THE GOOD NEWS IS A TURN SIGNAL SWITH WILL REPLACE ALL OF YOUR WIRING IN YOUR COLLUMN, & EVEN I CAN REPLACE ONE IN 15 OR 20 MINUTES. JOHN
I agree with you, my guess would be to replace the steering collumn wiring. Should be just the ticket.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Do they still make wiring with smoke in it?Where can I find this?I think all mine came out before I got it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
pat

I tore apart the steering wheel and all the wiring and the turn signal switch looked fine. Im getting a neutral switch in this afternoon so Ill see if that works.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #11
Steelawork'n
Just hang'n around

Pretty tight in there for that huge wiring harness. Anything could have been shorted just on installation.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:05 AM   #12
pat

The neutral switch got fried. I replaced it and it works for now. I wasnt really able to find any wires that would have shorted that, but I did find a bare wire on a different fuse. Ill hafta see how long this lasts.