The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
S_Lahnen

suburban lift kits

i want to put a 6inch lift in my 88 burb, does a lift kit with blocks ride any differently that the kits that are all spring. not planning on doing any offroading with it, just a highway cruiser and tow rig, so i would like it not to ride like a tank.

1988 chevy k3500
1972 chevy c 10
1980 chevy 3500 dump truck
S_Lahnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
aggiedave98

Re: suburban lift kits

What size tires are you going to put?? Are you changing out the rear end??

I put a 3" lift on my 89 2wd with 32" tires and really like it. However, raising it 6" ups the center of gravity, is going to give you not great handling, more wind resistance, etc. So I would make sure if you're going to do a lot of highway driving and towing if you really want to do that. If you're towing w/ a 6" lift you have a lot more of a chance for bad things to happen IMO. Also, w/ bigger tires, your breaking is worse, so unless you have trailer brakes...

Don't get me wrong... I tow my my '89 and I would love a bigger lift and bigger tires for the look, but there are downsides...
aggiedave98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #3
Southedisto
River life......

Re: suburban lift kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Lahnen View Post
i want to put a 6inch lift in my 88 burb, does a lift kit with blocks ride any differently that the kits that are all spring. not planning on doing any offroading with it, just a highway cruiser and tow rig, so i would like it not to ride like a tank.

Blocks retain the stock spring pack, so the ride will remain stock. I personally would not use blocks, especially for towing applications. Complete replacement springs/lift springs will change the ride to a firmer feel. If I were doing a lift, and towing with the vehicle, I would:

1. Use quality 4" front springs (ask people for their opinions about springs and spring ride quality or use the search feature on the board)
2. Use a shackle flip for the rear so I could retain the stock ride quality
3. Invest in quality shocks for each corner, 1per corner will suffice.
4. Maybe install a zero rate in the rear to shift the rear back center in the wheelwell (its common for the rear axle to shift fwd in the wheelwell when using a shackle flip)
5. And make sure you install a new steering arm to compensate for the new lift.