The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
muddpile

Edelbrock Throttle Linkage?

I am putting an edelbrock 600CFM electric choke carb on my 72, and can't figure out how to hook up the throttle cables. There is the one that goes to the gas pedal and the other one that goes to the tranny (TH350). Where and what do these cables hook to. Also, what is the inlet on the back of the carb on the bottom middle? On my Q-jet it was a kinked off metal tube, and on my Edelbrock its a short stub of metal tube. The PCV is on the front in this location, but what is the back? Thanks!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
QKENUF4U

Re: Edelbrock Throttle Linkage?

the back port is hooked up to my brake booster (vacumn source) if you dont need it you can block it off
i have the cable gas pedal setup and just used the small ball attachment from my old carb (or it was with the new carb ?) just look at your old carb and youll see the way the cables mounted up. i just picked the right hole for the job and hooked my cable to that. check out the pic.
the top hole is for throttle and the bottom hole is for your kickdown (where i have my spring attached)
Attached Images

Last edited by QKENUF4U; 08-20-2006 at 09:25 PM.
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:15 AM   #3
muddpile

That looks about like what I have, now I know where to attach the gas pedal cable, but I have a second cable that looks like a throttle cable. It runs to the TH350 transmission, and only has a very short pull on it. Where does it attach? The return spring routing looks like mine as well. Here's a picture of the old carb/intake setup. The engine is an 80's suburban 350.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:34 AM   #4
c-1072

what i usaly do is grind a srew head to fit the plastic clip for the kick down . I then use a couple of nuts to bolt it to the carb spacing the ground screw head away from the carb to give the plastic clip room to swivel . I moved my return spring to the front by fabing a bracket off of an intake bolt .i might be able to get a pic in a day or two if needed .
c-1072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:55 AM   #5
muddpile

C-1072, a pic would be very helpful. From what I understand, you moved the return spring to the front somehow and used it's hole to mount the kickdown cable? I'm not sure how this works, but like I say, I do better with pictures thatn words
Old 08-22-2006, 01:01 AM   #6
muddpile

Well, I got the carb and spacer and everything mounted tonight, so now I can better illustrate my problem. The red arrow is pointing at the cable that I can't hook up.

And this red arrow is pointing at where the cable goes on the passenger side of the transmission. How do I go about hooking it up? Do I have to add a hole to the linkage on the carb? Thanks!

Old 08-22-2006, 09:19 AM   #7
QKENUF4U

i dont know if the 350 cable uses a ball mount (like the throttle cable) or not but you have to use the hole where your spring is now.

Last edited by QKENUF4U; 08-22-2006 at 09:20 AM.
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:44 AM   #8
roughedup72

yep you need to get a ball and put it in the hole were the return sring is now, the connect your kick down cable to it. Relocate the spring to the top hole, the big round one, and either by a bracket to bolt to the intake or valve cover. The return spring kit I bought from advance auto had a bracket in it and I took the front bolt on the intake side of the valve cover out and installed the bracket with it back to the vavle cover. I will be taking some pics of it today and I will pos it when I get them loaded.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.

Last edited by roughedup72; 08-22-2006 at 09:45 AM. Reason: misspelling
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #9
junkyardjohn

I Do Believe This Is What You Need. This Came With A New Carb. Napa Sould Have Em Or Check In The Help Section Of Your Favorite Auto Parts Store. John

LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #10
roughedup72

heres what mine looks like, yours will hook up basically the same with the exception that you will need a ball instead of a shaft for your kick down cable.
Attached Images

1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #11
muddpile

Thanks for the help guys! Looks like I'll be buying a carb ball stud and building a bracket for the spring. I never even thought of running the spring forward. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:50 AM   #12
roughedup72

Glad to help.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #13
junkyardjohn

[/QUOTE]

THE TOP CABLE TAKES A BALL STUD. THE BOTTOM (TRANNY DETENT CABLE) DOES NOT. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote