The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Which Fuel Injection for 72 K20 350ci?
Leave it carbed, Q-jets are as good as it gets 2 20.00%
Go TBI swap from a donor 87-94 6 60.00%
Go Holley or Edelbrock MPFI 2 20.00%
Go with affordable-fuel-injection.com or other 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
Madbomber88

TBI conversion, any downside?

In my dreams, and if I were rich, I would by a 383HT and go crazy with fuel injection...

But in reality, I'm looking for a relatively simple upgrade to my tired 350 in my 72 K20 with an SM465.

Is a TBI swap, either from a donor vehicle, or through affordablefuelinjection.com, or another vendor, or even an Edelbrock or Holley system worth it?

I'm not looking for monster power, but rather a dependable daily driver with better cold starting and throttle response.

Are there any downside to doing a TBI swap vs. keeping it carbureted? The only ones I can think of are the upfront costs, and the added complexity/more to go wrong of the engine. I currently run an Edelbrock Q-Jet with a performer manifold and HEI. It runs ok, but hates cold starting, and it isn't very smooth.

For around $1000 give or take for each option, is it worth it? Looking for any and all advice/experience.
Thank you !
Attached Images

Madbomber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: TBI conversion, any downside?

1000 bucks would get a nice carb, a pro to tune it, and have money left over to upgrade/restore another part of your truck.
Neither of those photos show provisions for upgrading the fuel system.
A misadjusted carb is WAY more forgiving than a misadjusted injection system

When dealing with aftermarket systems, look into the avalibility of parts/sensors. It'd be a b!tch to have your ride down for a month waiting on a new map senor or something.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
neonlarry

$1000?, for $150 I got a whole TPI plus a roller cam engine to go with it. Thats not a fluke either because I got two of them. I know I can put the rest together for less than $850. My personal opinion is a TBI is just a glorified carburator. I don't see much advantage over a well setup Q-Jet.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
Boog
laying low

The downsides I can think of would be having an electric fuel pump to go out just like on most GM FI vehicles made in the last 15 or so years and all those sensors and wiring connections to make.
Actually the Throttle body injection systems from GM are much more efficient than a carb. Think about it, once a carb is set it cannot change fuel/air mixtures to compensate for temp and air density to get the maximum mileage and clean emissions. The computer managed engines constantly monitor and change the mixture as needed to maintain near perfect mix. They start better cold with better cold driveaway than a carb. Your piston rings will last longer with an efi engine since it runs a leaner mixture and doesn't wash down the cylinder walls like a carb with a choke.
I'm sorry. You asked for the downsides to efi. The upsides far out weigh the down. I am only speaking for the GM systems as I have no experience with the aftermarket systems. As pointed out with the aftermarket ones there may be parts n pieces to it that most parts stores will not carry forcing you to have to order them from the vendor. You can buy GM factory type parts at any parts store.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote