The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
eamims

77 not starting

Hey guys, my 77 C-10 350 v8 isn't starting today. Ran fine last night. Got in today and turned the key and nothing. zilch. no sound at all.

I got out my light tester and checked the battery +, and it was fine. Checked the fuse box, and the upper fuses lit when key was out, and the lower ones seemed to properly light up when I turned the key ON.

The headlights do not work at all regardless of key position..and typically they can be on at any time.

Sometimes I turn the key to ON and nothing happens. Then a few minutes later I do it again and the 'fasten seatbelts" light and buzzer come on along with the brake light as well as battery gauge. I even got the CD player to come on once along with these, but as soon as I hit the wipers or blinkers or try to 'turn it over' it all dies.

Can you tell me some areas to check for? I have been having some issues with the ignition switch on the column..it's been getting stuck 'past' the spring point causing me to have to click it backwards so the flywheel stops and the brake light will go off. Maybe it's busted? or does this sound strictly electrical?

thanks..hope it wasn't information overload.

Eric
eamims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
RUST

Re: 77 not starting

Check the fusible link near the starter. If it is blown it will look like a wire burnt into. If this is the case just go to local parts store and splice a new one in.
RUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:52 AM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I think you're on the right track with the ignition part you're talking about. It could have been messed up but hard to say. Also you might look at the wires at the base of the column. This is the safety switch which allows the starter to engine in park or neutral only.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
beaterC10

You might want to also check the battery cable connections, a bad connection can cause symptoms similar to what you have described.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #5
75sierraclassic

Yeah I got some of those symtoms when my power cable to the starter from the battery had come loose. Took me a while to find it, I hate electrical gremlins.
75sierraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
mhicks

If you had a bad connection at one time it could have weakened the fuse to the starter. It could be it has now blown. On my '73 on the firewall near the junction where 2 red wires are bolted together with a nut holding them to a terminal block. It is located on the firewall above the fan motor on the passenger side. There is a cylinder about 3/4 inch in diameter and about an inch long that a red wire feeds into from both directions. Check for continuity through that. You said that also your headlights sometimes doesn't work... I don't think that would have anything to do with the ignition switch. Your problem has something to do with power going to starter, or bad battery connection or bad ground. Hope this helps.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
eamims

I just checked the main power again and it seems ok. I checked bat. connection to starter and it lit. Couldn't find fuse to starter that mhicks mentioned, but the 2 red wires bolted to the firewall checked out ok on both sides. On starter, only the main bat. connection lit.. I wasn't sure if the others should have or not. ok, I took off the wheel column base and tested those wires.. a few have power a few don't (key is out). One makes a noise when I test it.

I put the key in and turn to ON and the fasten belts and brake light came on again after a few seconds.. then if I try to sound the horn or turn on wipers it fades like it's drawing power and the 'fasten belts' buzzer/light fade, then come back when I let off the horn/wipers. Or sometimes it just dies out totally when I try horn/wipers, etc.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #8
mhicks

Sounds like a bad connection from the battery.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
eamims

thx mhicks. where should I check?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
us111

that certainly sounds like a bad connection somewhere,take both cables off battery,clean them,tighten them down as tight as you can without breaking anything,(even if you think they are tight and clean now) then follow your ground wire from battery to where it is connected ,take it loose there,sand off end and where it bolt's on,,reconnect good and tight..give it a try then,,also all the other things that have been mentioned can cause it too...
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:02 PM   #11
eamims

cleaned battery connections and any ground connections I found. triple checked battery/starter connection and it lights fine.

headlights def. do not work and they always have. I have never had an issue with the headlights working at all times. Now they do not come on. All fuses seem fine except the "PNL LGTS" which doesn't have power on either end (with key on or off).
Old 08-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #12
mhicks

Could the solenoid on the starter cause this?
Old 08-28-2006, 04:01 PM   #13
eamims

I just noticed the rear lights were on. Couldn't get them to go off without undoing battery. just keeps getting stranger.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:19 AM   #14
mhicks

Rear lights could be brake lights.