The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
DannyL

Warning 87 Sub newbie alert!!!!

I picked up a Burb to do towing duty. I have a few question that need some answers if you guys don't mind....

Description of the beast:
1987 3/4 ton 2WD with ..................yes....... 454 TBI TH400.

Questions

1:What's the towing capacity of this truck with and WO WD hitch? (no it's not on the truck anymore, already checked)

2:Why is the distibutor fed by a coil and not an HEI disty?

3:I'm thinking of stickin' some headers and exaust on her to free 'er breathin' up a little, any suggestions????

Little background on me. I'm a Suzuki nut (Samurai & Sidekick) and have a class C motorhome but the towing capacity is limited under 5k. The Burb will
hopefully let me tow two Zuks on a trailer so my bro and I can split gas and driving time to go to events. Less luxury than the MH ,but hey gas is not cheap and a compremise is needed (I know this cause me wife told me so ). Other that I'm an ordinary gu........huh gearhead that loves to play in oil/grease/dirt.

That's all for now folks!

Later
DannyL
DannyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: Warning 87 Sub newbie alert!!!!

I have no answers for you, but I would like to welcome you to the board!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I am not sure of the towing capacity, but I would imagine that that truck would tow your Suzukis just fine. Can't say that your mileage will be that great, but it should be better than the motorhome.

The didtributor is actually like an HEI, but with a remote mount coil. It is computor controlled.

Not sure on the headers, maybe someone else will have some ideas.

I see that yours is a 3/4 ton. That and the 454 are probably why you got the TH400. I think the overdrive may (or may not, I don't really know) have been an option in 87 on the heavier duty trucks.

Welcome to the board!
Old 08-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
70rs/ss

Hooker headers and flowmasters all the way!! Not sure about emissions in Canada, but if none, then have a custom dual built out the rear. The slow breathing is due to the heads as well, but exhaust will help till you decide to swap out the heads for a better set. There are a few perf up grades you can do, like a TB spacer, different air cleaner, etc but the 3/4 ton burb will haul with a reciever hitch, just like a truck. You couldn't get an OD trans untill the 4l80e's came out and they are bacically a th400 with od. Good luck, I have a 74 3/4ton burb w/350/350 so your 454/400 are cool, but I am stripping my burb of all the drivetrain and building a wicked K5, well if I ever get round to it!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:39 PM   #5
Sickboy73

I have an '87 3/4 ton 2WD Burban with 454/400 set up and the guy I bought it from use to tow a 30' Toy Hauler with no problem on the stock engine with headers only. He add air bags out back so it wouldn't sag. As for headers I have Doug Thorley with a single Flowmaster and 3" pipe all the way through which came with the BUrban. Since I bought I have converted it from TBI to Carb (TBI was giving me too many problems).Add Edelbrock Carb, Intake and Waterpump. Mallory Distributor and Taylor wires. As for the distributor Jonboy answered that for you. I am sure that your Burban will tow the Zuki's with no problem .
Sickboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
Hobbs

I just put on a pair of Doug Thorleys on my 454. They fit right in. I highly recommend them with a 3" flowmaster. The 454 now runs like you would expect a 454.

1988 sub. 3/4 ton 2wd 454.
BFG 295/75/16 on American Racing 16x8
Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
DannyL

Thx for the answers and the welcomes guys!!

Well I found out like you already mentioned it's a HEI with external coil.
Now for some reason, the largest chain of parts/junk in CANADA can't seem to get the RIGHT wires for my truck. The first set consisted of 7 spark plug wires and 1 coil wire.......... The second set was 8 plug wires and 1 coil wire, but NONE of the plug wires were the same as what were on the truck. SO I called a pal that works for a GM stealership and will have original GM wires tomorrow
As for towing I figure I'll be using a weight distribution set up so I think it'll be ok. huh I hope.

I bought a frame that was under a "park" trailer. it's 35' long with dual 3500# axles withe 'lectric brakes on both. It uses standard wheels not mobile home wheels (5x4.5"). The frame is a stacked, one lower frame with all suspension stuff on it and then a second frame above it to match the length of the trailer they are building. The plan is take off the 35' section and use the lower part that is already 21' long. The outer frame is all 6" channel so it's plenty for what I'll be doing. I'll add a dovetail to the end and a 3rd axle if I need it. I'm hoping for less than 2000lbs for the trailer and 5-6k for the trucks. Total 8000 lbs.

I'm bablin'..........

Thx again guys.
DannyL is offline   Reply With Quote