The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Nutty Yellow Truck Deal

This thread is for the sake of discussion only,not to inform of a truck for sale...
There`s a guy near me on the state road that is always setting vehicles out for sale.Naturally,a 67-72 GM truck pops up from time to time.This is where I`ve seen a Blazer for sale and mentioned it here.He has a `71 short-fleet out now.It`s low(coils),canary yellow(incl.grille surround),chrome smoothies/wide tires,and a built 396 w/floor B&M shifter for TH400.Looks cool from 50',although I can see bubbling from that far.I`m saying this truck was obviously not restored,just made good enough to paint and now it`s showing.I mean,it`s a neat lil`shortbed and all.The description is all about the motor/trans.What would you expect to pay?Well,his price for what I described is $13,500!!!Totally nuts!I`d say the truck is worth half that at best.Not that I`d pay that since it has crap for sheetmetal.
I want to talk to this guy w/o pizzing him off.I see his stuff out there for crazy money and it always gets gone.I just want to know if people around here are really paying anywhere near what he asks.I thinkhe`s smart enough to pull them out of there after too long and go another route.So it appears they get sold.I think he goes super high,hoping for a fool.Then,sells elsewhere for a price that works.But,I just want a feel for what he really gets.I,m in a wierd area where people tend to have more want than know,more money than sense.Yet,this has a downside.They`d pay more for that crap than a faded original sheetmetal,little to no rust western truck for half the price.They go for shiney.So,if I brought trucks in,then painted them,it could be a good source of income for me.I`ve done it before,but that was when the dollars weren`t there like they can be,now.
I guess I`m ramblin`about two things:1)how crazy the pricing is around here and 2)how I should take advantage of it.
What this guy is doing is the way it is here.Anytime I see a 67-72 for sale it`s at a "he must be nuts" price for something that is of a quality below what I would accept unless it cost next to nothing.There are more people wanting these trucks that wouldn`t have a few years ago.I`ve watched this trend for years and it keeps growing.It`s like the Chopper-thing,TV has played a roll.Everyone`s heard of Barrett-Jackson now and it seems these prices are put up against what they see there.That,and the fact that new vehicle sales have flopped over to trucks & suvs,so the public is more truck-minded.For the man(or woman)who has everything(and there`s plenty of them around here),what`s next?A cool old truck to take to the "cruise-in".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Nutty Yellow Truck Deal

i'm amazed at what people ask for stuff and i too wonder about how much they really get in the end. seems like any time i try selling something for a really (i think) reasonable price it sits with little or no interest for long periods of time with me only getting insulting offers and chances are good if i accept a lowball offer it turns out the person has no money to complete the deal

i'm spending this weekend looking at old 30's-40's harley baskets for sale so i'm sure to have some real wild stories by the time tues gets here
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

I know what you mean Tim.Sometimes stuff up here is outrageiously expensive, and other times it can be dirt cheap. We looked at a 69 Chevy SWB 4x4 one time. They wanted $9500 for it, and it was a complete POS. I can safely say that my truck was in way better shape than this one. It had a shiny paintjob but was flaking off everywhere, the tailgate has broke, the doors opened and shut worse than a 35 year-old Mack truck. They cut a huge hole in the dash to put in a CD player, the doorpanels were screwed on with screws bigger than my head. And last but not least, it was a bondo rod. From 10 feet away it looked flawless, any closer and it was just sh!tty looking.

Last edited by JAKES 68GMC; 09-02-2006 at 09:13 AM.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Can`t wait to hear the stories,there CD.Yeah Jake,I see it all the time.These guys think just because it`s the popular trucks in the same years someone else got alot of money for,there`s is worth that.No consideration for condition,options,or rarity that the other vehicle had over their`s.I smart man will go for the original "see what you got/not pay for someone`s idea of upgrades" vehicle.Or,shell-out the serious cash for a done-right one.There`s alot off ignorant sellers and buyers out there.An educated buyer is your best bet when selling true-quality.
I went out in my blue & white truck the day I saw this yellow thing.It has the new lift/tires and is looking good in all original skin,less rust than that paint-up rod.I had a guy that asked if I`d sell it,too.I`m a bit weak on cash right now,so I didn`t give the usual,"no way."I told him about all the rarity even though it`s not restored and it wouldn`t be cheap.But,I was thinking I`d be lucky to get $5,000 even though I had $8-10 in my mind.
I`m afraid to go out and invest,it never works for me.Although,once known,you become the guy to call and the bucks get bigger.In the late`80s/early`90s I was doing it until a major financial set-back caused me to sell off assets to kill a debt(a builder got me for $47,000/bancruptcy).I had to sell my pro-street`70 stepside,`63 Riviera(455 dual quad),and`55 FL Panhead and lost my capitol for buyin`/sellin`.Not to mention,became gun-shy on laying out funds/speculating.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-02-2006 at 10:13 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
meathead95
computer illiterate

[QUOTE=cdowns;1795751]i'm amazed at what people ask for stuff and i too wonder about how much they really get in the end. seems like any time i try selling something for a really (i think) reasonable price it sits with little or no interest for long periods of time with me only getting insulting offers and chances are good if i accept a lowball offer it turns out the person has no money to complete the deal QUOTE]